PDA

View Full Version : New Technique for Finding the Mass of Black Holes

Fraser
2007-May-16, 09:26 PM
It might sound surprising, but one of the most difficult tasks astronomers have is determining the mass of objects. It takes a binary system, where two stars or orbiting one another, to be able to make an accurate mass calculation. ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2007/05/16/new-technique-for-finding-the-mass-of-black-holes/)

RussT
2007-May-16, 11:39 PM
http://www.universetoday.com/2007/01/08/even-dwarf-galaxies-have-supermassive-black-holes/

Even Dwarf Galaxies Have Supermassive Black Holes!

Dwarf galaxy VCC128, which lies in the Virgo Cluster, is only 1% the size of the Milky Way. But they noticed that it has a double nucleus. They discovered that this double nucleus is actually the two sides of a ring of stars surrounding a black hole. As supermassive black holes go, it’s not as large as our own, but it still contains 1 million to 50 million times the mass of the Sun.

This could mean that other dwarf galaxies with dwarf nuclei contain black holes of their own, raising the possibility that every galaxy contains a black hole.

How about that.

Launch window
2007-May-17, 05:49 AM
So how many Sun masses is a regular intermediate blackhole

RussT
2007-May-17, 10:36 AM
So how many Sun masses is a regular intermediate blackhole

This Dwarf galaxy has somewhere between 1 million and 50 million sol masses.

As supermassive black holes go, it’s not as large as our own, but it still contains 1 million to 50 million times the mass of the Sun.

But there are stellar black holes, the black holes they have found in the center of globular clusters of stars (which I think they are classifying as the Intermediate), the MBH's in Dwarfs, and then the SMBH's found in the cores of Galaxies.

It has not been accepted yet that there are MBH's an all Dwarfs, or even ALL galaxies, but as the article states, this may well be the case.

I Personally think that the Nuker Team is on the right track, as they have determined that Black Hole Birth and the speed of stars and gas in the outer rims of spirals is very intimately related.

Nick4
2007-Jun-07, 12:39 AM
This is starting to make scens to me