PDA

View Full Version : Spitzer Shows Young Stars Hatching in Orion

Fraser
2007-May-18, 06:54 PM
The latest image released from the Spitzer Space Telescope shows infant stars "hatching" in the head of Orion. Astronomers think that a supernova 3 million years ago sent shockwaves through the region, collapsing clouds of gas and dust, and beginning a new generation of star formation. ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2007/05/18/spitzer-shows-young-stars-hatching-in-orion/)

George
2007-May-18, 08:42 PM
Why do the new stars look pink? Is it the dust from the residual accretion disks that does this?

It has also helped hatch another novelty.... a textbook from a blog.

"The inspiration for Barrado y Navascués' textbook came from his one-year-old astronomical reference blog, Cuaderno de Bitacora Estelar. The blog is one of the most widely read astronomy blogs in Spanish, with a large audience in Europe, South America, and United States. He decided to turn his blog into a textbook a few months ago when a Spanish editorial company asked him to. "

2007-May-18, 08:57 PM
Why do the new stars look pink? Is it the dust from the residual accretion disks that does this?

Spitzer is an infrared observatory. The frequencies observed could be assigned to visible colors arbitrarily.

Used for the image (http://sscws1.ipac.caltech.edu/Imagegallery/image.php?image_name=sig07-007) was:

This composite includes data from Spitzer's infrared array camera instrument, and multiband imaging photometer instrument. Light at 4.5 microns is shown as blue, 8.0 microns is green, and 24 microns is red.

George
2007-May-18, 09:47 PM
Yes, I knew it was false color. Spitzer's strength is not in the optical band.

So, it is dust (illuminated by the star along with the star itself) that we are seeing as the reason it is a false pink?

Grand_Lunar
2007-May-21, 04:51 PM
Could be.

"New stars keeping hatching in my head! Crying's not for me!..."

Sorry, it just popped in there!

Nick4
2007-Jun-07, 12:30 AM
This is one of my favorit storys i like would like you to follow this story.