PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else besides me seen the documentary 'Alien Planet'?

Tucson_Tim
2007-May-19, 03:23 AM
I tried a search but using words like 'alien' and 'planet' finds way too many posts...

I saw the animated documentary Alien Planet on TV last year and bought the DVD. It is about a hypothetical exploration of another Earth-like planet (in the future) by robotic probes. It pauses periodically with interviews of scientists. Has anyone else seen this? I really enjoy it.

IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0453446/

Tucson_Tim
2007-May-19, 03:30 AM
Just tried another search using 'Wayne Barlowe' and found a few old threads. The documentary is based on Wayne Barlowe's book EXPEDITION.

Launch window
2007-May-19, 05:22 AM
No, I didn't see it

but it's something I'd like to watch

Romanus
2007-May-19, 07:15 AM
Have it on tape--love it. :) In fact, I had the good fortune to record that and NGC's "Extraterrestrial" on the same tape.

A freaking shame that "Expedition" costs an arm and a leg now that it's out of print.

novaderrik
2007-May-19, 07:33 AM
at first, i thought this thread was about the show with the flying whales.. but now i'm pretty sure that was the one called "extraterrestrial" that Romanus mentioned.

Paul Beardsley
2007-May-19, 08:11 AM
Sounds like an excellent documentary I saw a few years ago. As I recall, one of the scientists was Jack Cohen. They talked briefly about aliens in fiction, including Daleks, which were praised for being so unlike humans. They had CGI aliens from various worlds, including one on the seabed of Europa. Some were very interesting.

I remember another documentary about life on Earth in the distant future. One scenario, a million years hence, had the world dominated by spiders. They slung webs across canyons to catch pollen which they fed to their captive humans. Then, when they judged one of their humans was sufficiently fed, they feasted on him.

Tucson_Tim
2007-May-19, 02:41 PM
I remember another documentary about life on Earth in the distant future. One scenario, a million years hence, had the world dominated by spiders. They slung webs across canyons to catch pollen which they fed to their captive humans. Then, when they judged one of their humans was sufficiently fed, they feasted on him.

That may be The Future is Wild: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455253/

Tucson_Tim
2007-May-19, 02:46 PM
Sounds like an excellent documentary I saw a few years ago. As I recall, one of the scientists was Jack Cohen. They talked briefly about aliens in fiction, including Daleks, which were praised for being so unlike humans. They had CGI aliens from various worlds, including one on the seabed of Europa. Some were very interesting.

I didn't see Jack Cohen listed but here is a list of some of the people and scientists interviewed on Alien Planet:

Wayne D. Barlowe
Curtis Clark
James Garvin
Jamie Haines
Stephen Hawking
Jack Horner
Joan Horvath
Michio Kaku
James Kirkland
George Lucas
Victoria Meadows
David Moriarty
Randy Pollock
J. Craig Venter

Tucson_Tim
2007-May-19, 02:48 PM
BTW, Is it allowed to copy and paste a movie synopsis from another website, say imdb.com?

Tucson_Tim
2007-May-19, 02:50 PM
A freaking shame that "Expedition" costs an arm and a leg now that it's out of print.

I bought the used DVD about a year ago and, if I remember correctly, it still cost be $20+.

Nowhere Man
2007-May-19, 03:54 PM
I've seen it. The execution was good, but I've never been impressed with Barlowe's designs for alien creatures. His art style is too static, as well.

Fred

Noclevername
2007-May-19, 05:22 PM

If it's "The Future is Wild", the spiders' prey weren't humans, they were the last living mammal species (little rodent-like things called "poggles").

One of the series' premises was that humanity had left Earth or died out, presumably because with humans around meddling with nature, things were just too unpredictable; but with us gone, natural evolutionary patterns could re-assert themselves.

If we had to predict future evolution WITH humans, it might be more like Niven's Moties-- species adapted to artificial envionments, and genetic experiments gone wrong.

Paul Beardsley
2007-May-19, 07:00 PM
I didn't see Jack Cohen listed but here is a list of some of the people and scientists interviewed on Alien Planet: [snip]

Thanks for the list, Tucson_Tim. It's probably not the one I saw, unless I'm misremembering Jack Cohen.

Noclevername
2007-May-20, 04:09 AM
Funny story; when I was watching Alien Planet, during the scene where the probe finds the amoebic sea and tthe giant water-walker, my mother walks in, listens to the announcer talking about it being a planetary probe, stares at the screen, and asks in an amazed voice, "Is this live?!"

Tucson_Tim
2007-May-20, 03:36 PM
Funny story; when I was watching Alien Planet, during the scene where the probe finds the amoebic sea and tthe giant water-walker, my mother walks in, listens to the announcer talking about it being a planetary probe, stares at the screen, and asks in an amazed voice, "Is this live?!"

I shouldn't admit this but a couple of years ago I tuned into the middle of Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within and for about 10-15 secs I was fooled - I though the 'actors' were real people! :o

Paul Beardsley
2007-May-20, 04:24 PM
Lovely!

HenrikOlsen
2007-May-20, 10:10 PM
BTW, Is it allowed to copy and paste a movie synopsis from another website, say imdb.com?
My personal guess is no.
Unless it's a synopsis you wrote, and you haven't signed over the copyright yet.

Tucson_Tim
2007-May-20, 10:40 PM
My personal guess is no.
Unless it's a synopsis you wrote, and you haven't signed over the copyright yet.

That's what I thought.... Thanks.

Doodler
2007-May-21, 08:25 PM
I shouldn't admit this but a couple of years ago I tuned into the middle of Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within and for about 10-15 secs I was fooled - I though the 'actors' were real people! :o

The CGI in that one were pretty off the hook. The best I've seen, to date. Even watching it knowing it was animation took a few minutes of headshaking.

Tucson_Tim
2007-May-21, 09:18 PM
The CGI in that one were pretty off the hook. The best I've seen, to date. Even watching it knowing it was animation took a few minutes of headshaking.

I was quite embarrassed. I would love to see that sort of CGI (Final Fantasy) in other movies - maybe even a Star Trek movie.

Maksutov
2007-May-22, 11:33 AM
I tried a search but using words like 'alien' and 'planet' finds way too many posts...

I saw the animated documentary Alien Planet on TV last year and bought the DVD. It is about a hypothetical exploration of another Earth-like planet (in the future) by robotic probes. It pauses periodically with interviews of scientists. Has anyone else seen this? I really enjoy it.

IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0453446/SPOILER ALERT! THE FOLLOWING INCLUDES INFORMATION ABOUT THE END OF THE SHOW!

I wouldn't call it a "documentary". Instead it's science-based speculation on what kinds of species might be out there. I have it on DVD (thank you, DVR!) and it's fun to watch. Some of the creatures seemed far-fetched, but others were quite logical given the environments in which they evolved.

One actually felt sad when the squid-like creatures did in the last probe.