PDA

View Full Version : Did you see the beautiful pairing of Venus and the Moon last night?

Tucson_Tim
2007-May-20, 03:43 PM
Not uncommon, but it sure was beautiful. :)

We usually have clear skies here this time of the year but last night it was exceptionally clear. My wife and I sat and watched for almost an hour as the sky darkened.

Tucson_Tim
2007-May-20, 03:45 PM
Maybe one of the moderators can correct the typo in the thread title: pairing.

Kyle Edwards
2007-May-20, 04:05 PM
I think is unusual to see them that close. It made it easy to see Venus naked eye during the day yesterday.

Dave Mitsky
2007-May-21, 12:34 AM
Maybe one of the moderators can correct the typo in the thread title: pairing.

Done.

I photographed the pair through my 101mm Tele Vue refractor as well as a 200mm Canon lens.

Mercury was visible to far to the lower right of Venus and the Moon last night as well. With Saturn to the upper left of Venus, the arc of the ecliptic was clearly evident.

Dave Mitsky

Tucson_Tim
2007-May-21, 12:46 AM
Done.

I photographed the pair through my 101mm Tele Vue refractor as well as a 200mm Canon lens.

Mercury was visible to far to the lower right of Venus and the Moon last night as well. With Saturn to the upper left of Venus, the arc of the ecliptic was clearly evident.

Dave Mitsky

You have to post your picture! Forum rules, I think.... :)

Tog
2007-May-21, 06:28 AM
I tried for a couple shots with a 500mm lens. If any come out, I'll post them. It was a little hazy here though.

redshifter
2007-May-21, 05:38 PM
Saw it for all of a couple minutes before the #%$$% clouds covered it up.

Tucson_Tim
2007-May-21, 07:10 PM
Saw it for all of a couple minutes before the #%$$% clouds covered it up.

Oh well, at least you're not in the middle of a drought!

redshifter
2007-May-21, 07:46 PM
Heck, I almost wish there was a drought around here in the NW...

maryccc
2007-May-21, 08:01 PM
I took this picture Saturday Night before it got dark
http://www.coynepics.com/moon/venusmoon.jpg

Dave Mitsky
2007-May-22, 08:15 AM
I'm posting two pictures of the event.

The first image is a cropped shot of Venus and the Moon that I took from Cherry Springs State Park on Saturday night with a Canon EOS Digital Rebel DSLR and a Canon zoom lens set at 200mm.

The second one is a prime focus photo of the pairing that I shot with my 101mm f/5.4 Tele Vue refractor and Canon EOS Digital Rebel DSLR.

Dave Mitsky

Tucson_Tim
2007-May-22, 02:06 PM
Maryccc, Dave M.,

Very nice pics. Thanks for posting.

Palomar
2007-May-25, 01:11 AM
Late reply [didn't see thread until now]: Yes. Sky was absolutely clear. Halfway between dusk and nightfall was loveliest. And being in Gemini was an added bonus.

Dave Mitsky
2007-May-30, 03:02 PM
Here's a longer exposure prime focus shot taken via my Tele Vue refractor that displays the Earthshine that was present a bit better.

Dave Mitsky

Tucson_Tim
2007-May-30, 03:31 PM
Here's a longer exposure prime focus shot taken via my Tele Vue refractor that displays the Earthshine that was present a bit better.

Dave Mitsky

Also very nice!

Kelfazin
2007-May-30, 06:22 PM
I was actually in Rocky Point, Mexico sitting on the patio of a restaurant over the water (The Pointe, which is the restaurant on stilts near the fish market for those familiar with the area) and managed to get the below picture. It's not great but I was just using my handheld digital camera.