V.I.N.C.E.N.T. from "The Black Hole" (1979) 3
Cortana from "Halo" 3
Shodan from "System Shock" 2
Daedalus from "Deus Ex " 1
GOD from "Fiasco" 0

Lord Jubjub
2007-May-21, 01:48 AM
Gahhh!!!!

I swear I have no idea where that first option came from!!! Any moderator out there willing to change it to Deep Thought?

Noclevername
2007-May-21, 02:01 AM
Gahhh!!!!

I swear I have no idea where that first option came from!!!

"PAGING DOCTOR FREUD, DOCTOR SIGMUND FREUD, YOU HAVE A PATIENT IN THE ADMITTING WARD..."

Roy Batty
2007-May-21, 11:03 AM
Lol! I'm sure he just was thinking of the X-Files or maybe even Watergate itself, isn't that right Lord JubJub?:lol:
I went for Colossus.

HenrikOlsen
2007-May-21, 11:21 AM
Gahhh!!!!

I swear I have no idea where that first option came from!!! Any moderator out there willing to change it to Deep Thought?
Done

parallaxicality
2007-May-21, 11:55 AM
Shame that Mike didn't make the cut; I liked Mike.

Given the choices, Deep Thought or the Doctor. In the end I went for The Doctor, simply because Deep Thought's character was never all that developed.

Gillianren
2007-May-21, 06:22 PM
No, but what we had of him was great.

Alasdhair
2007-May-22, 09:55 PM
Gotta be Deep Thought, if only for

"The Great Hyper-Gnomic, Omni-Cognate Neutron Wrangler can talk all four legs off an Arcturan MegaDonkey, but only I can persuade it to go for a walk afterwards."

Dr Nigel
2007-May-25, 07:36 PM
Gotta be Deep Thought, if only for

"The Great Hyper-Gnomic, Omni-Cognate Neutron Wrangler can talk all four legs off an Arcturan MegaDonkey, but only I can persuade it to go for a walk afterwards."

*Tsk* That's The Great Hyperlobic Omni-Cognate Neutron Wrangler (of Ciceronicus 12).

And "The Milliard Gargantubrain? A mere abacus. Mention it not." It's gotta be Deep Thought all the way.

"...though, I don't think you're going to like it."

Alasdhair
2007-May-25, 10:24 PM
"... molest me not with this pocket calculator stuff!"

Roy Batty
2007-May-27, 12:36 PM
What are you all on about?! excuse me I'm too busy fiddling with my new digital watch :)

Alasdhair
2007-May-27, 06:59 PM
"We are going to get lynched."

umerwaqas
2012-Apr-15, 10:28 PM
best a.i chracter for mainframe (http://www.mosttechnologies.com/mainframes) is Deep Thought from "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Buttercup
2012-Apr-15, 10:58 PM
Agent Smith. Sooooo evil.

swampyankee
2012-Apr-15, 11:55 PM
Where's Shalamaneser from Stand on Zanzibar, possibly the first cyberpunk novel?

And the greatest computer ever built, commissioned by the 5-dimensional beings whose projected form was small, white rodents? I refer of course, to the computer with the most boring name: Earth, does this not merit a mention?

mike alexander
2012-Apr-16, 12:09 AM
Back after five years!

Multivac/AC from "The Last Question." Now, THERE'S a computer!

Fiat lux!

Solfe
2012-Apr-16, 01:41 AM
Jarvis from the Ironman movie is pretty interesting considering how little utilised he is.

BTW: Necro alert... 2007...

captain swoop
2012-Apr-16, 09:46 AM
Shodan from System Shock 2 so a 'none of the above' should have been included.

Also Durandal from the old Mac game Marathon.

Solfe
2012-Apr-16, 10:16 AM
Also Durandal from the old Mac game Marathon.

Any machine that can understand and then express: "I am teaching them THE MAGIC of orbital bombardment" rules in my book.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Apr-16, 11:53 AM
Which means Mike rules.

Rhaedas
2012-Apr-16, 03:04 PM
A thread worth the necro.

I would vote for Mike, simply because he's a great example of an AI waking up and evolving. A lot of the others are either very complex computers or static in their AI nature. Mike changes. Or your perception of him an an individual changes. Or both.

Gillianren
2012-Apr-16, 06:30 PM
Shodan from System Shock 2 so a 'none of the above' should have been included.

Maybe if this had been the first round. Or if it hadn't involved gathering a lot of data first.

BigDon
2012-Apr-20, 05:54 PM
What! GLaDOS from Portal I & II didn't make the cut either?

Some of her insults nearly made me wet myself laughing so hard! and her singing is beautiful! (The voice actress is a professional opera singer.)

For Miss Gilian, a pretty song from a psychotic computer: I Used To Want You Dead, Now I just Want You Gone.

Trust me it starts a little shakey but gets good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVVZaZ8yO6o

Gillianren
2012-Apr-20, 06:17 PM
Portal came out in 2007, Don. It's entirely possible GLaDOS didn't make the cut because no one knew about her yet.

As to the song, it is (probably) by Seattle local Jonathan Coulton, who wrote "Still Alive" for the first game. I've never gotten all the way through Portal, because we don't own a video game console and I can't get the hang of the computer version of the controls, but I have "Still Alive" on my computer and have for years.

BigDon
2012-Apr-20, 08:07 PM
After the first time I heard that song I always imaged you singing that to me, Gillian. :)

Gillianren
2012-Apr-20, 11:28 PM
I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not!

BigDon
2012-Apr-20, 11:56 PM
I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not!

All I'm saying is I believe you may have thought that about me once or twice!

Gillianren
2012-Apr-21, 02:36 AM
Oh, the list of people I want dead is very short and you've never been on it. (They're all people whose lives are miserable to both themselves and others and who cannot just leave.) Most of the time, I don't even want you gone!

parallaxicality
2012-Apr-21, 06:25 AM
Yes, Want You Gone was by Jonathan Coulton who also wrote the funniest song ever (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zry0m1VDTH8&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_661782).

Seattle resident Ellen Mclain, the voice of GLaDOS, also sang the songs. She is perhaps the only middle-aged opera singer to be mobbed at fan conventions.

(They're all people whose lives are miserable to both themselves and others and who cannot just leave.)

Your house or their lives? Personally, given the levels of pure evil to which some people are capable of descending, the people in my life don't fit on my "want dead" list. For someone the world was better off shot of (literally) see Jonas Savimbi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonas_Savimbi).