PDA

View Full Version : Saturn's Rings Could Be Twice as Massive as Previously Believed

Fraser
2007-May-23, 07:28 PM
New observations from NASA's Cassini spacecraft have revealed that Saturn's largest ring isn't a smooth distribution of particles like it looks in photographs. ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2007/05/23/saturns-rings-could-be-twice-as-massive-as-previously-believed/)

bigsplit
2007-May-23, 08:39 PM
Could the same miscalculation be made or have been made concerning the mass in galaxy arms?

John Mendenhall
2007-May-24, 04:11 PM
Could the same miscalculation be made or have been made concerning the mass in galaxy arms?

Ah, it makes my head hurt when the questions make me think this hard.

As I recall, without looking up references, I think the work on the total mass in galaxy arms is pretty good. The dark matter people had to eliminate the possibility. But, it never hurts to check aqain.

bigsplit
2007-May-24, 06:08 PM
Ah, it makes my head hurt when the questions make me think this hard.

As I recall, without looking up references, I think the work on the total mass in galaxy arms is pretty good. The dark matter people had to eliminate the possibility. But, it never hurts to check aqain.

I guess what I am saying is that if such a large miscalculation was made for a ring around a planet that is so close....well...it just makes you say hmmmmmmm, that's all.

crosscountry
2007-Jun-15, 07:45 AM
I'm not sure why this would change the total mass. It seems evenly spread matter could weigh just as much if not more than clumps. Flickering light doesn't tell much.

Didn't we already know however that they were clumpy? I remember that from my high school physics class 10 years ago.