PDA

View Full Version : Planet of the Apes on the History Channel?!

Noclevername
2007-May-27, 04:00 PM
Yep. Just saw it last night. Is this some chapter of history that I missed?

(At least is was the original, not that horrible remake/parody.)

Noclevername
2007-May-27, 04:03 PM
Whoops! Deja Vu! Can I get a courtesy merge, please?

ADDED: That's got to be a record. I ToSeeked myself. D'oh!

Doctor Know
2007-May-27, 04:13 PM
Is this some chapter of history that I missed?

Don't know why the original, but in the third installment, Escape from the Planet of the Apes, they travel back to 1973. You get to witness the nadir of men's fashion. Gawd...those suits. ;)

Yeah...aside from the time travel aspect it doesn't make much sense.

Gemini
2007-May-27, 04:52 PM
Don't know why the original, but in the third installment, Escape from the Planet of the Apes, they travel back to 1973. You get to witness the nadir of men's fashion. Gawd...those suits. ;)

Yeah...aside from the time travel aspect it doesn't make much sense.

Neither did Mad Max: Road Warrior either

novaderrik
2007-May-27, 05:52 PM
i think they are trying to make some statement about what WILL happen if us arrogant human don't change our ways..
so, i guess it could be seen as some sort of "future history" if you've got a political agenda.

Noclevername
2007-May-27, 06:03 PM
What political agenda would that be, the Ape Lobby??

peter eldergill
2007-May-27, 07:15 PM
In Canada, HC is going to how "Fire in the Sky"...uggghh...how is that history??

They showed "Contact" today. I really like that movie, but again, how is it considered "history"? It's fiction (one could argue about the nature of history here, I suppose!)

Pete

Doctor Know
2007-May-27, 07:53 PM
Hmmm. Judging by their recent programming the History Channel is now the 'shadow' Sci-Fi Channel. Would make some sense seeing as the Sci-Fi Channel rarely puts on anything resembling science fiction these days.

Noclevername
2007-May-27, 07:54 PM
They showed "Contact" today. I really like that movie, but again, how is it considered "history"? It's fiction (one could argue about the nature of history here, I suppose!)

Maybe it's the history of how movies used to be made.:rolleyes:

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-May-27, 09:45 PM
Contact might be how first contact my actually happen vs Fire in the Sky what people think is happening. HC movie choices can be bit of a stretch, but HC in Canada was broadcasting some kind of UFO blitz today as well.

peter eldergill
2007-May-28, 03:12 AM
I was going to try to pretend that they weren't...bury my head in the sand saying "they're not showing that, they're not showing that!"

Pete

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-May-28, 03:16 AM
Usually they are a lot better then that, my favourite blitz programming was the Band of Brothers all in one day.

novaderrik
2007-May-28, 05:53 AM
What political agenda would that be, the Ape Lobby??
the whole "we better stop being such selfish, naughty creatures, or we will knock ourselves off the top of the food chain and become slaves to lesser beings" agenda.
this has to be the only instance where that particular lobby would use a film starring the face of the NRA- or a guy that played an important religious figure- to get their point across..

Gillianren
2007-May-29, 01:43 AM
Usually they are a lot better then that, my favourite blitz programming was the Band of Brothers all in one day.

Which they're doing today. I, however, am watching the Jamie Farr-a-thon M*A*S*H on Hallmark instead.

I did note, and complain about, the Planet of the Apes thing myself.

Noclevername
2007-May-29, 02:14 AM
the whole "we better stop being such selfish, naughty creatures, or we will knock ourselves off the top of the food chain and become slaves to lesser beings" agenda.

I for one welcome our new ape overlords.:)

SkepticJ
2007-May-29, 06:24 AM
Eh, I thought it was really weird that the "History" Channel was running it, but I figure better that than shows on UFOs, ghosts and the end of the world, which they also run endlessly, since they have no standards anymore. Well, standards other than what earns them the most money.

Jim
2007-May-29, 12:46 PM
History Channel often airs movies and then discusses their relation to actual events; that would seem to be a stretch here. Did anyone watch this program and catch the context? (The HC website admits showing the movie but doesn't discuss the reason.)

Noclevername
2007-May-29, 02:16 PM
Admitting you have shown it is the first step.

NEOWatcher
2007-May-29, 05:36 PM
Admitting you have shown it is the first step.
Eleven more to go.

My dictionary says history is a relaying of past events. (paraphrasing multiple definitions). POTA is not history...period.

novaderrik
2007-May-29, 07:30 PM
it's movie history..

Whirlpool
2007-Jun-02, 02:15 AM
Yeah . its a movie history...

Planet of the Apes is a good movie for me ...

I mean I was entertained by watching it....

but thinking it's a part of history ...

I don't think so..

:think: