PDA

View Full Version : "The Universe" on the History Channel

Fraser
2007-May-28, 11:00 PM
I'm pleased to announce a new sponsor for Universe Today and Astronomy Cast: "The Universe" brought to you by the History Channel. This is a 13-week documentary series about, what else, the Universe. ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2007/05/28/the-universe-on-the-history-channel/)

pantzov
2007-May-29, 09:33 AM
sounds good. definitely fits in with the topic of history.

Jerry
2007-May-29, 08:40 PM
That is really good news. Frazier and Pamala put together well-produced projects that scope the latest topics. Perhaps the History Channel is just looking at numbers and a target audience, but I would like to think the producers are fans of the UT site as well:)

Leafguy
2007-May-30, 01:22 AM
I must say I am dissapointed. I went to watch this on History Channel and instead found digging up the past to be on. Meanwhile local tv listings in the TV guide said that is right, but when I look online, they say the universe. Man I am confused. Someone help me out lol. Anyone else from toronto area find this maddening to?

Fraser
2007-May-30, 01:42 AM
This is for the History Channel in the US. Not in Canada. :-(

kiwi_canuck
2007-May-30, 04:09 AM
I was all excited over nothing, too. I'm on the wrong side of the 49th parallel.

Euler
2007-May-30, 07:24 AM
Wrong side of the 49th parallel? Try being on the wrong side of The Pond!

Any idea whether this series will be screening in the UK?

Sticks
2007-May-30, 12:16 PM
This is for the History Channel in the US. Not in Canada. :-(

So we won't get it in the UK either

(Come to think of it I do not think I have that channel on my package):whistle:

JustAFriend
2007-May-30, 02:09 PM
The first episode was a great show.

This should be required viewing in the schools.

parallaxicality
2007-May-30, 03:44 PM
Is this a natural history program, or a historical program on how our understanding of the universe has changed over the millennia?

tomtomtom
2007-Jun-02, 08:05 PM
I found the History Channel's new show "The Universe" very simple. It seemed to be geared for elementary school children. I found it to be a boring review of stuff I've already seen many times in other documentaries of the cosmos. Comparing Earth's magnetisphere fending off the sun's radiation to water going around the bow of a boat is just one example.

Jim
2007-Jun-03, 04:30 PM
You may have found it simplisitic, but keep in mind the intended audience; this is a show for laypersons, not third year astrophysics majors. I found the explanations to be simple, but then I didn't want all the details and equations dumped on me. I can always read the book, or come to the BAUT.

The photography was amazing! It showed the sun to be a truly fascinating place, far more than an unchanging glowing ball in the sky. That may be the best part of this series, that it makes you see things differently and wonder.

As for history, it touched lightly on that, mentioning for example how we once thought the sun was actually burning, and done broad stroke rather than getting into details.

I don't know when it will be available to the heathen masses... uh, non-US audience, but it's worth looking for.

Nick4
2007-Jun-06, 06:12 AM
Great news congradulations!!!!!!

Sticks
2007-Oct-28, 05:41 PM
It is on tonight in the UK at 20:00 on the History Channel

And I now have that as part of my package

Disinfo Agent
2007-Oct-29, 02:29 PM
Congratulations!