PDA

View Full Version : Grapple Attachment May Be Added to the James Webb Telescope

Fraser
2007-May-31, 05:20 PM
When the James Webb telescope launches in 2013, it'll be the most powerful telescope ever deployed in space. To the get the best view, using the least fuel, it'll sit in a stable orbit about 1.6 million km (1 million miles) from Earth. ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2007/05/31/grapple-attachment-may-be-added-to-the-james-webb-telescope/)

John Mendenhall
2007-Jun-01, 04:20 PM
Were it up to me, large missions would carry along a small handy-dandy robot, with about a half dozen arms/legs/manipulators, and a camera, and an independent radio, and a bunch of tools. Then we'd have a chance of fixing stuck heat shields, and solar panels, and antennas, to say nothing of having a much better idea as to what went wrong.

Nick4
2007-Jun-06, 05:45 AM
This telescope is going to be awsome...maybe now we can finnaly put the hubble telescope to rest

Amber Robot
2007-Jun-06, 02:25 PM
This telescope is going to be awsome...maybe now we can finnaly put the hubble telescope to rest

Well, it's not really a replacement for Hubble, so putting Hubble to rest would also be putting certain scientific capabilities to rest.

OneHotJupiter
2007-Jun-06, 03:05 PM
Viva la Hubble!

I do want the Webb to be as amazing as everybody is hoping , but I still want to see a repair job for the Hubble and maybe pull another decade of life out of that expensive and all seeing eye-in-the-sky , I might even spring for a ticket to the launch of the next repair mission!