PDA

View Full Version : shuttle delay of 3 months due to weather

Starhawk99
2007-Jun-01, 05:48 AM
Isn't it amazing that a multi-billion dollar device created by men to get into space was derailed for three months by a hail storm? Wouldn't you think it would be stronger than that? I don't know all the reasons why or anything but it does seem absurd!

quntmphys238
2007-Jun-01, 09:30 AM
Given the light of the Columbia and the problems with the external tank's insulation layers, no I do not see anything absurd with double and triple checking its integrity after being bombarded and damaged by hail. I enjoyed standing at the beach watching the launch in July '06 and I can wait a few more weeks for them to send this one after they have deemed it ready to go.
Plus, the more complex something is, the more chances there are for the devil in the details to rear its ugly head. Since the shuttle is the most complex machine ever built by humans, there are lots of hiding places for the devil to jump out of.

cudachaser
2007-Jun-01, 12:37 PM
And that was one wicked hailstorm!

JustAFriend
2007-Jun-06, 02:32 PM
If more people knew just how flimsy the walls of a standard jetliner are, fewer people would fly in them!!!

All aircraft are built to the minimum weight and minimum necessary strength to do the job that they need to do, and very little more.

What is less understandable to me is why NASA built a system where a $2billion orbiter fueled with enough flammable liquid oxygen and hydrogen cannot be moved on or off the pad with less than several days notice ---- when the launch pad is centered in one of the most active lightning/thunderstorm/hurricane areas of the country!!!
(Typical government SNAFU....)