PDA

View Full Version : It's official - Battlestar Galactica's season 4 is the final one

Trantor
2007-Jun-01, 03:10 PM
Well, we saw this coming. Hopefully, they go out with a strong ending.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070601/tv_nm/battlestar_dc

Matherly
2007-Jun-01, 03:52 PM
It works for me.

Hey, I absolutly love Galactica. But the last thing I want is for it to become "Gillagan's Fleet" where they almost make it to Earth and then something happens.

SPOILERS!!!!

As is it, we've seen the journy to Earth unfold in a pretty solid way. Season 1 ended with Adama and Rosyln divided on if Earth even exists and each trying to gather/keep people at her/his side. Season 2 ended with Earth seemingly so far away that the people gave up on it and settled on New Caprica. Season 3 ended with Starbuck and the (presumably) Ship of Light come to show the fleet the path the Earth. To me, the next logical step if finding Earth.

Trantor
2007-Jun-01, 06:11 PM
Season 3 ended with Starbuck and the (presumably) Ship of Light come to show the fleet the path the Earth. To me, the next logical step if finding Earth.

I always liked those Ship of Light episodes from the original series. I do hope that RDM incorporates some of those ideas in this last season. To me, the Ships of Light were messagers from Earth, sent to help the fleet find their way home. Of course, in the original series, it never panned out that way. We were left hanging, wondering what those ships were and where they came from. Then instead of a proper continuation, we got that horrible Galactica 1980.

RDM can put his own version of it into the story. I hope he does.

Something tells me that RDM has some sort of unexpected ending to the Human/Cylon conflict in mind. I fully expect some kind of "Planet of the Apes" type ending.

I hope that this last season the writing is more about science fiction/mystery and less about relationship issues. RDM is a fine writer. He did some very good things during his Star Trek years. If he ends Galactica the way he ended TNG, we will have a very nice ending ahead of us.

novaderrik
2007-Jun-01, 08:54 PM
He did some very good things during his Star Trek years. If he ends Galactica the way he ended TNG, we will have a very nice ending ahead of us.
yeah, it would be cool to have it end with a poker game..

V-GER
2007-Jun-05, 01:55 PM
I just hope it'll be some sort of surprise ending. Meaning that they don't arrive on present day Earth. The far future, antiquity or even pre history where the people from the 13th colony had receded into cavemen. I don't know what would suit best but hopefully it's something special.

novaderrik
2007-Jun-05, 07:15 PM
they'll show up at an earth that is dominated by apes, with humans enslaved as pets..
they'll land on what was once the coast of New York right as Charlton Heston's screaming at the ruins of the Statue of Liberty..
or it will end with a poker game.

JohnBStone
2007-Jun-05, 08:06 PM
They'll show up on a posthuman Earth where _everyone_ killed in the conflict (and possibly before) has been reborn in a "cylon" body and the 12 advanced cylons are shown to be innocent pawns in the game.

Either that or it's the BSG virtual reality simulator ala Red Dwarf.

phunk
2007-Jun-05, 08:20 PM
I just hope it'll be some sort of surprise ending. Meaning that they don't arrive on present day Earth. The far future, antiquity or even pre history where the people from the 13th colony had receded into cavemen. I don't know what would suit best but hopefully it's something special.

Well prehistory seems to be ruled out by the 'all along the watchtower' bit in the last episode. At a very minimum it's later than 1967. :)

Extravoice
2007-Jun-05, 08:21 PM
they'll show up at an earth that is dominated by apes, with humans enslaved as pets..
they'll land on what was once the coast of New York right as Charlton Heston's screaming at the ruins of the Statue of Liberty..
or it will end with a poker game.

Adama will wake up next to Suzanne Pleshette.

Swift
2007-Jun-05, 08:43 PM
Adama will wake up next to Suzanne Pleshette.
:lol: I was just going to make the same joke. Great minds think alike.... what's our excuse? ;)

Humots
2007-Jun-05, 10:37 PM
Well prehistory seems to be ruled out by the 'all along the watchtower' bit in the last episode. At a very minimum it's later than 1967. :)

I missed that. Are you talking about the temple they found on the planet that went up in a nova?

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jun-06, 12:50 AM
Was the series good? Edward James Olmos is one of my favorite actors.

I haven't watched a thing on the SciFi Channel in ages.

Van Rijn
2007-Jun-06, 01:02 AM
When it started, I thought it was great, but it was a concept that was hard to sustain. This last season, for me, was barely watchable, with a good episode here or there. Part of the problem is the long time between the seasons. It would probably be better to wait until the whole thing finishes and watch on your own schedule on DVD.

peter eldergill
2007-Jun-06, 01:09 AM
I missed that. Are you talking about the temple they found on the planet that went up in a nova?

Some of the characters (5 of them) who didn't know they were Cylons had the song "All Along The Watch Tower" by Bob Dylan/Jimmy Hendrix running though their brains...sort of a "fuzzy memory" from childhood.

I thought that was pretty cool as they don't even know where Earth is and they're singing an 1960's Earth song

Go check out the lyrics to the song, they're pretty cool

Pete

Roy Batty
2007-Jun-06, 01:19 AM
Was the series good? Edward James Olmos is one of my favorite actors.

I haven't watched a thing on the SciFi Channel in ages.

Well, I think it fair to say, 'he's done a man's job!' of it ;)

novaderrik
2007-Jun-06, 04:15 AM
Some of the characters (5 of them) who didn't know they were Cylons had the song "All Along The Watch Tower" by Bob Dylan/Jimmy Hendrix running though their brains...sort of a "fuzzy memory" from childhood.

I thought that was pretty cool as they don't even know where Earth is and they're singing an 1960's Earth song

Go check out the lyrics to the song, they're pretty cool

Pete
what's so odd about them having 1960's rock lyrics in their heads when they drove Hummers on their home planet?

Van Rijn
2007-Jun-06, 05:39 AM
what's so odd about them having 1960's rock lyrics in their heads when they drove Hummers on their home planet?

AHA! That explains it! Hummers were created by CYLONS!

Tobin Dax
2007-Jun-06, 07:19 PM
AHA! That explains it! Hummers were created by CYLONS!

All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again.

Matherly
2007-Jun-06, 07:59 PM
Some of the characters (5 of them) who didn't know they were Cylons...

Nitpick: 4 of them who didn't know they were Cylons had the song stuck in their head. The 5th hasn't been reveialed yet (my money is on Stabuck)

Tobin Dax
2007-Jun-06, 09:25 PM
Nitpick: 4 of them who didn't know they were Cylons had the song stuck in their head. The 5th hasn't been reveialed yet (my money is on Stabuck)

I was going to make a tongue-in-cheek comment about it being Dirk Benedict, but I won't after you said that, though. However, my money is on it not being Starbuck.

peter eldergill
2007-Jun-07, 02:36 AM

I stand corrected!

Trantor
2007-Jun-07, 03:56 PM

Yeah, it does seem that Starbuck is the final one. It just bothers me that it's just a little too obvious. I always had a suspicion that it was going to be Roslin that would be revealed in the end. I know that she did not hear the music, but maybe she actually did and decided not to tell anyone, or maybe her cylon blood prevented her from hearing it. We shall see...

vonmazur
2007-Jun-07, 09:16 PM
So they arrive at Woodstock, circa 1969, or what???

Dale

Ara Pacis
2007-Jun-07, 10:18 PM
I'm kinda glad that it's ending. The premise was that the story had an end point, so I hope they end it. Some stories are meant to be self-contained (like Babylon 5) and some are meant to go on (like the Stargate series).

I'm just kinda worried that they will give it a Matrix type of ending... been there, done that. Maybe they'll show up in 1969 and find Armstrong, et al, on the moon. Then they can explain why first contact forced NASA to re-film the moon landing on a soundstage (groan). Or maybe they will show up in the late 1970s and the BSG tv series will be misinformation a la Stargate's "Wormhole X-treme".

I always thought that a good ending would be Galactica (perhaps with the good 5 cylons) race to earth ahead of the bad cylons and get here just in time, all out of nukes, and beg us for uranium mining rights for nukes, see our level of development and ask us if we have any nukes. Then we'd be like, "How many do you need? Booya!"

Matherly
2007-Jun-08, 01:05 AM
I always thought that a good ending would be Galactica (perhaps with the good 5 cylons) race to earth ahead of the bad cylons and get here just in time, all out of nukes, and beg us for uranium mining rights for nukes, see our level of development and ask us if we have any nukes. Then we'd be like, "How many do you need? Booya!"

:)

My prediction is that the Lord of Kobol originally left Earth. That's because the Sacred Scrolls said that life here (i.e. Kobol and the colonies) began out there (i.e. not Kobol and the colonies). It creates a nice turn around of Lorne Green's intro in the old series.

Ara Pacis
2007-Jun-08, 01:51 AM
:)

My prediction is that the Lord of Kobol originally left Earth. That's because the Sacred Scrolls said that life here (i.e. Kobol and the colonies) began out there (i.e. not Kobol and the colonies). It creates a nice turn around of Lorne Green's intro in the old series.

Or maybe the lord of Kobol actually referred to the Cobol programming language and, ummm, somehow v-ger is in there somewhere...

Okay, a better idea. They arrive in sol system and meet with the USS Odyssey, a battlecruiser from the Stargate program. It turns out that the Lords of Kobol were actually Goa'ulds (or perhaps Tok'ra) that were overthrown leaving the 12 colonies of humans (on planets without stargates) to fend for themselves. The cylons originally turned against the colonists after they somehow got taken over by replicators or from exploring the planet in the SG-1 episode "Entity" in season 4. (or maybe the planet in "Entity" is the Cylon homeworld and the contact from earth prompted them to attack the colonists. Too bad the 5 human looking replicators don't also look like the 5 other cylons, but maybe there's a reason for that.

It'd be a crappy, but fun ending to BSG.