PDA

View Full Version : CNN drops Science and Space

NEOWatcher
2007-Jun-04, 02:27 PM
Here we go... CNN is redesigning thier main page.

They will still have the top stories, but the catagories are demoted to links without the top catagorized stories.

Space and Science stories are now part of technology. I agree that the blur between the two catagories can be difficult. But, I fear that it is going the way of PopSci. Not so much about the science, but more about the wizbang new devices that are available.

Here's the beta site (http://beta.cnn.com/).

Fazor
2007-Jun-04, 02:59 PM
I haven't visited yet today, but I've been increasingly dissapointed with the articles in Science&Space anyway. They seem to focus on the more "off-beat" "fun" type science stories but lack any real substance. Though the tech section seemed to be reviews of mostly obscure video games that had been out for months and the latests cell phones mostly. Perhaps their just consolodating two sections which they've been ignoring already anyway.

loglo
2007-Jun-04, 07:00 PM
- This has been a weird year for the U.S. space agency, more notable for contributing a story line for the TV series "Law & Order" than for spaceflight.

When they start stories like this I'm surprised anyone reads it anymore.

pumpkinpie
2007-Jun-05, 01:58 PM
Space and Science stories are now part of technology. I agree that the blur between the two catagories can be difficult. But, I fear that it is going the way of PopSci. Not so much about the science, but more about the wizbang new devices that are available.

I agree. It's true in other media, too. I've seen so many sections of the newspaper called "Health and Science" or "Science and Technology" that are very heavy on the Health/Tech and the science is scarce. With little to no space science. :mad:

Palomar
2007-Jun-05, 02:06 PM
Sad.

Maybe they're making room for their big bright blitzy splashy "CNN 2008 Election Coverage"? I about puked when I saw that. :rolleyes:

mr obvious
2007-Jun-05, 11:14 PM
Agreed. I'm tired of the election coverage already and it's over a year away...

I think the NY Times does a better job [than CNN] at covering science, but they only focus on it once a week. On-line content is better, admittedly, and is updated more frequently.

Noclevername
2007-Jun-05, 11:16 PM
Maybe they're making room for their big bright blitzy splashy "CNN 2008 Election Coverage"? I about puked when I saw that. :rolleyes:

"Prelude to a Recount: The Next Generation."

Gillianren
2007-Jun-06, 03:08 AM
I actually saw a newscast the other day speculating about whether or not it was too late for someone to join the race.

No! The election's well over a year away!

publiusr
2007-Jun-09, 06:56 PM
This makes me angry. They got rid of Science Channels "Discoveries This Week," now this.

G-4 is for Gamers and such.