PDA

View Full Version : Report on the Apollo Rendezvous

Russ
2003-Jun-16, 09:56 PM
I met "Charlie in Dayton" Friday evening at the Museum where the convension was held. He is a friendly fellow with a beard bigger and greyer than mine. I did not get to talk with him much as he was distracted with production duties and I with lectures to attend. I don't know why I didn't see him Saturday. I guess he was busy with duties and I with more talks.

They had a competition for home made telescopes. There were only two entries but WHOOOOOOEEEEE! Both were very impressive for both the quality of the optics and the workmanship of the mounts/tubes etc. My favorite (but not the judges) was the one made entirely of white oak. The tripod had lathe turned spindle legs with the fork for the tube made to look like a lyre! The finish on the wood was spectacular as well. It looked like something the ancient Greeks would have used if they'd had telescopes back then.

In the vendor area, I was able to score some new trinketts for my telescope. It is a Meade LX-200-10 (non GPS). I got an image correcting diagonal, which should make Moon and terrestrial viewing easier. I also acquired a "T adaptor" and accessories for attaching my ooooold SLR camera to the scope. I have finally admitted to myself that I just can't draw well enough to make my viewing log worth looking at, so I'm going to have to take pictures and trace. I tried to get an astrometric eye piece, the one with the protractor in it, some laptop software to control my scope and an image erecting finder scope. I flunked out on all three.

The REEEEEEALLY GOOD NEWS is, I won the raffel for the Oberwerk (sp?) giant binoculars!!!! I felt a little foolish when I peeled of 20 bucks to get the maxi-pack of tickets but it turned out to be more than worth the cabbage. They are supposed to be 20X80 fully multicoated. They seemed to have bigger objectives than that so I measured them and got 91mm. I'm not sure how they rate them in Germany but it must have something to do with effective aperture. ??? Anybody know?? It's rather strange, I was giving some thought to getting some GIANT binos' while reading the reviews in the May issue of Astronomy, but I just couldn't justify the 600 bucks that this type of binocs run. Then manna from the MVAS (Miami Valley Astronomical Society). All I can say about the whole experience is :D :D :D :D :D :D :lol:

The second REEEEEEALLY GOOD NEWS is, at the end of the rendezvous, they have a drawing for "door prizes". They throw everybodies name tag in a box and have someone draw them out. For the most part the door prizes are trinketts like 1.25" eye pieces, space oriented CD's & DVD's, googahs & giddymawhats. One guy got a Meade ETX-90, one of the better prizes. My tag got me one of those fold up observatories that go for about 600 bucks in the adds in the back of the astro magazines. I couldn't believe my ears when they called my name for that pirze. I felt a little guilty for winning both big prizes, but since it was out of my hands what I won, I didn't feel toooooo bad. Of course, if looks could kill I'd have probably turned to a plasma when I went to claim the thing. These were the first anythings I'd won since I was about 9 yo. :D :D :D :D

I've been trying for years to get these guys to have our very own Phil TBA Plait as a speaker but they just ignore me. I guess I'll just have to go whack 'em upside da haid 'n make 'em behaive. ;)

Ahem.....so how was your weekend? :D

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jun-16, 10:47 PM
You know, reading about your "giant binos" got me thinking... I don't know much about optics, but if you're looking for HUGE binoculars, go to a military surplus store and try to get some "Big Eyes" from off of a ship. I'm not sure if they'd be good for astronomy but... Anyway, here's what they look like:

http://www.moc.noaa.gov/ar/visitor/projects/et2big.htm

Big eh? :D

Russ
2003-Jun-16, 11:14 PM
You know, reading about your "giant binos" got me thinking... I don't know much about optics, but if you're looking for HUGE binoculars, go to a military surplus store and try to get some "Big Eyes" from off of a ship. I'm not sure if they'd be good for astronomy but... Anyway, here's what they look like:

http://www.moc.noaa.gov/ar/visitor/projects/et2big.htm

Big eh? :D

:lol: Actually they're not that much bigger than the ones I got. :lol: They look very similar too. :lol: I bet the "big eyes" depicted would be very good for astronomy. :D

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jun-16, 11:16 PM
Yours are that big?!? And I thought you were joking when you said "giant" binoculars! :o Maybe I'd better get a pair... :wink:

Dickenmeyer
2003-Jun-18, 04:13 AM
Russ. Russ. . .Russ!!!!! Put the binoculars down. You shouldn't sleep with them, get them a nice case. Hey, congratulations on your great turn of luck. How was the seeing at night? Here in Middle Hoosierland it was cloudy and windy all weekend. I hope I can come next year.

BCstargazerr
2003-Jun-18, 05:15 AM
i'd just drool over a pair or 20 X 80 (20 X power for the light gathered in an 80 mm true aperture. if the optics are clear get a tripod for it and it'll be worth 10 times their cost. you should have fun looking at the moons of jupiter and fantastic lunarscapes close to the terminator. the tripod will help you with next year's comets as well. they also have specialized mounts for binoc that let you use them without holding them up
have fun :)

Russ
2003-Jun-18, 04:04 PM
Russ. Russ. . .Russ!!!!! Put the binoculars down. You shouldn't sleep with them, get them a nice case.

They came with a REALLY nice case. It's about the size of the suitcases you see the flight attendants pulling around the airports. It has a nice foam insert that holds/protects the binoc's and the tripod adaptor. And besides...they are warm and fussy and keep the monster under the bed away. :roll: :D :lol:

Hey, congratulations on your great turn of luck. How was the seeing at night? Here in Middle Hoosierland it was cloudy and windy all weekend. I hope I can come next year.

The seeing was spectacular cloud bottoms. Lots of rain and T-storms. So much rain that my neighbor's garage is still about hubcap deep! It's all my fault. I bought some new trinketts for my telesope and the laws of the universe dictate that it shall be overcast for two weeks following such a purchase. The weather site indicates it may clear by Friday, maybe I'll get a reprieve!!

I hope you can come next year too. I was hoping to meet more BABBers but Charlie In Dayton was the only other there, as far as I know. Surf the MVAS web site occationally to see what's happening. Maybe we can meet at one of their lesser functions. They put on star gazes all over the tri-state area during the year.

Thanks for your kind wishes.

Russ
2003-Jun-18, 04:28 PM
i'd just drool over a pair or 20 X 80 (20 X power for the light gathered in an 80 mm true aperture. if the optics are clear get a tripod for it and it'll be worth 10 times their cost.

I'll thank you to keep your body fluids off my binoc's.! ;) The optics are very clear and fully multi-coated. No spherical aberation or astigmatism that I could detect. Of course that was through rain in late day gloom, looking at my neighbor's son play tonsil tag with his girlfriend about 400 yards down the street. They were on the porch swing in the front of the house and made a convinient test target.

I have two tripods that work with it. They are, however, built for cameras and not quite strong enough for the weight of the binic's. They tend to wobble under the weight.

you should have fun looking at the moons of jupiter and fantastic lunarscapes close to the terminator. the tripod will help you with next year's comets as well.

Those are good suggestions but I was thinking more along the lines of the Andromeda galixy, nebulae and metior showers. Generally speaking, the stuff that is toooooo big for my telescopes field of view.

they also have specialized mounts for binoc that let you use them without holding them up
have fun :)
Yes! I think I'll have to get a sturdier tripod and I think I'll get one of those paralelllagram holders too. Well, there goes the budget for my astrometric eye piece.

Kiwi
2003-Jun-19, 12:39 PM
I'll have to get a sturdier tripod and I think I'll get one of those paralelllagram holders too.
In the meantime, try a piece of rope over the top of the binoculars, and the other end head taut under your foot.

Russ
2003-Jun-19, 07:41 PM
I'll have to get a sturdier tripod and I think I'll get one of those paralelllagram holders too.
In the meantime, try a piece of rope over the top of the binoculars, and the other end head taut under your foot.
I've tried that with my regular binoculars without much success. I think I'm toooooooo shakey in general to make that technique work. It definately makes them steadier but not steady, if you get my drift. The Moon, for instance, weaves through the field of view instead of being a white blur in the field of view. :( :o :roll: :lol: