PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Mars Odyssey - Mars Orbit Insertion 10:30EDT



Karl
2001-Oct-22, 08:38 PM
JPL MOI Website (http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/odyssey/mission/moi.html)

And if that did't work, try it the old fashioned way:

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/odyssey/mission/moi.html

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Karl on 2001-10-22 16:40 ]</font>

Roy Batty
2001-Oct-22, 09:27 PM
Ive started the coffee brewing for the 2am broadcast on Wednesday already /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Azpod
2001-Oct-22, 10:55 PM
Here's to hoping that all goes well!

And yes, I am posting this as a test of this board... here's to hoping that the new board will help keep trolls away...!

Spaceman Spiff
2001-Oct-22, 10:59 PM

Ben Benoy
2001-Oct-22, 11:23 PM
Woah.. It may be that I'm out of the loop on this, but when did GMT become "Universal Time"? Seems a little, dare I say it, geocentric?

Ben Benoy

Phobos
2001-Oct-22, 11:56 PM
I understand both terms have been in use for a few years now. They both refer to the same thing.

I supose the term "Universal Time" is less nationalistic.

Jeff

Paul Unwin
2001-Oct-22, 11:59 PM
I just heard a report about this on All Things Considered on NPR. The interviewee had just talked about the double and triple checking that the project had undergone to prevent a conversion mistake such as the one that destroyed the recent Mars mission the name of which I have temporarily forgotten. Then he went on to describe the aerobraking technique and the final maneuver that would circularize the Odyssey's orbit to "400 kilometers above Mars."

"Or 250 kilomters," said the interviewer. "You don't want to make that mistake again."

I laughed out loud.

Paul "It's funny because it's true" Unwin

Azpod
2001-Oct-23, 12:31 AM
"Or 250 kilomters," said the interviewer. "You don't want to make that mistake again."

I laughed out loud.

Paul "It's funny because it's true" Unwin


Sure, it's all funny, until someone breaks the probe. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Phobos
2001-Oct-23, 12:43 AM
I remember reading in New Scientist how an experiment on the Space Shuttle failed due to a similar error.

The shuttle was supposed to point a mirror towards Earth for some beam reflection test. The computer had been programmed to adjust the postition of the shuttle relative to Earth by means of searching the surface for a mountain of a fixed height.

The problem was that rather than searching for a mountain of x metres high it looked for a mountain of x MILES high. When the software had finished scanning the surface of Earth it proceeded to search outer space (Now where did they put that mountain ...)

Jeff

Trish
2001-Oct-23, 01:54 AM
On 2001-10-22 17:27, Roy Batty wrote:
Ive started the coffee brewing for the 2am broadcast on Wednesday already /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif


Won't that be a little thick by then /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Trish on 2001-10-22 21:54 ]</font>

Ben Benoy
2001-Oct-23, 05:39 AM
On 2001-10-22 21:54, Trish wrote:

Won't that be a little thick by then /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif


Mmmm... chewable coffee.... gaagghgg

Ben Benoy

Roy Batty
2001-Oct-23, 09:28 AM
Won't that be a little thick by then <http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif>

It will need to be thick & chewable to keep me awake.. since I just realised it will be 3am not 2am here /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif


<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Roy Batty on 2001-10-23 05:30 ]</font>

James
2001-Oct-23, 10:20 AM
On 2001-10-22 20:43, Phobos wrote:
I remember reading in New Scientist how an experiment on the Space Shuttle failed due to a similar error.

The shuttle was supposed to point a mirror towards Earth for some beam reflection test. The computer had been programmed to adjust the postition of the shuttle relative to Earth by means of searching the surface for a mountain of a fixed height.

The problem was that rather than searching for a mountain of x metres high it looked for a mountain of x MILES high. When the software had finished scanning the surface of Earth it proceeded to search outer space (Now where did they put that mountain ...)

ROTFLOL /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: James on 2001-10-23 06:21 ]</font>

ToSeek
2001-Oct-23, 11:44 AM
On 2001-10-22 19:23, Ben Benoy wrote:
Woah.. It may be that I'm out of the loop on this, but when did GMT become "Universal Time"? Seems a little, dare I say it, geocentric?

Ben Benoy


Yeah, and what is this "Miss Universe" business? Talk about geocentric! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Rob Scott
2001-Oct-23, 01:09 PM
On 2001-10-23 07:44, ToSeek wrote:
Yeah, and what is this "Miss Universe" business? Talk about geocentric! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
This is totally off-topic, but has anyone else ever read a book called Retief and the Pan-Galactic Pageant of Pulchritude? It was a beauty contest involving females of all races across the galaxy ... unfortunately the judges could not decide on a standard of beauty and ended up choosing a fat human male as the winner.

Matherly
2001-Oct-23, 01:35 PM
[Carl pouts]

What's so unattractive about fat human males?

Carl, the fat human male.

ToSeek
2001-Oct-23, 07:03 PM
Trying to get back on-topic, I note with some annoyance that the plan is to turn off telemetry from the spacecraft before starting the burn (see step 6 in the URL below). Considering not doing this was a lesson learned from both Mars Observer and Mars Polar Lander, you'd think they'd get their act together.

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/odyssey/mission/moidescription.html

ToSeek
2001-Oct-23, 07:05 PM
Okay, I just read the description a little more carefully. It sounds as if Odyssey will be behind Mars during this period, so it really doesn't matter if it's trying to communicate with Earth or not.

Is this a normal situation, btw? I don't remember it being necessarily the case for other orbiters that they would be behind Mars during the burn, even though that makes sense.

Azpod
2001-Oct-24, 02:25 AM
Does anyone know when we will know if the orbital insertion burn was successful? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Karl
2001-Oct-24, 02:39 AM
On 2001-10-23 22:25, Azpod wrote:
Does anyone know when we will know if the orbital insertion burn was successful? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif



It went fine, orbital period 19 hours, they were hoping for 20 or less.

David Hall
2001-Oct-24, 03:34 AM
Just to sum up my feelings at hearing that:


<font size=+2>Whoo-Hoo!!!</font>

Kaptain K
2001-Oct-24, 09:29 AM
Glad it worked. Another failure would have been devastating.

Phobos
2001-Oct-24, 09:57 AM
The hardest part is over now, but I will not relax until the airobraking stage has completed.

Here is a link to NASA's press release;
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/releases/2001/release_2001_207.html

Rob Scott
2001-Oct-24, 12:34 PM
On 2001-10-23 09:35, Matherly wrote:
What's so unattractive about fat human males?Sorry Carl, no offense intended. It's a funny book though. Back to the topic ... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

The Curtmudgeon
2001-Oct-24, 07:22 PM
On 2001-10-23 09:09, Rob Scott wrote:
This is totally off-topic, but has anyone else ever read a book called Retief and the Pan-Galactic Pageant of Pulchritude? It was a beauty contest involving females of all races across the galaxy ... unfortunately the judges could not decide on a standard of beauty and ended up choosing a fat human male as the winner.


The Retief series has always been a real screamer, but I don't think I read that one. Test smilie: /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

The (how do you spell Retief?) Curtmudgeon

Chip
2001-Oct-29, 03:39 PM
Hi,

Where do we go to find the latest info? (Be nice.) Could someone be so kind as to post a link? The links posted above lead to out-of-date JPL/NASA press releases. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Chip

ToSeek
2001-Oct-29, 03:50 PM
On 2001-10-29 10:39, Chip wrote:
Hi,

Where do we go to find the latest info? (Be nice.) Could someone be so kind as to post a link? The links posted above lead to out-of-date JPL/NASA press releases. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Chip


The Mars Odyssey Home Page is: http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/odyssey/

ToSeek
2002-Feb-07, 02:21 PM
Mars Odyssey antenna successfully deployed (http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/odyssey/newsroom/pressreleases/02feb06status.html)

They'll be revving up the science instruments later this month.

Kaptain K
2002-Feb-07, 06:03 PM
The antenna can transmit at data rates as high as 110 thousand bits per second.
Not much faster than a dial-up modem. Those are going to be some llllooooonnnnnngggggg downloads! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

ToSeek
2002-Feb-07, 07:05 PM
On 2002-02-07 13:03, Kaptain K wrote:

The antenna can transmit at data rates as high as 110 thousand bits per second.
Not much faster than a dial-up modem. Those are going to be some llllooooonnnnnngggggg downloads! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif



I haven't been able to confirm it, but my recollection is that Odyssey has the highest data rate of any spacecraft sent to Mars yet. Still, you need nice long DSN passes to get the data down.

SpacedOut
2002-Feb-07, 08:43 PM
All good things come to those who wait.

How soon we forget – it wasn’t all that long ago that I thought my new 9600 modem was pushing the envelope!!!