PDA

View Full Version : Medic!--err, Teddy Ruxpin!

Fazor
2007-Jun-08, 05:50 PM
Interesting article here about a battlefield robot designed to carry wounded soldiers to safety: B.E.A.R. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6729745.stm)

My favorite part is this:

The US military is developing a robot with a teddy bear-style head to help carry injured soldiers away from the battlefield.

New Scientist magazine reports that the "friendly appearance" of the robot is designed to put the wounded at ease.

1. Teddy bear face designed to be reassuring

Personally, if I was critically wounded and half out-of-it due to shock or trauma, and looked up to notice that a giant mechanical teddybear was carrying me off, I'd be scared.

Following these strategies, they should just give all soldiers a bedsheet and/or comforter, because as all children know, if you hide under the covers nothing can hurt you. :)

NEOWatcher
2007-Jun-08, 06:05 PM
Personally, if I was critically wounded and half out-of-it due to shock or trauma, and looked up to notice that a giant mechanical teddybear was carrying me off, I'd be scared.
I was thinking the same thing... But more along the lines of I don't care what the heck it looks like, I'm in trouble. Heck, it doesn't even need a face.

Now; maybe you can send in the humanoid toddler (http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/06/08/toddler.robot.ap/index.html).

"Our goal is to study human recognition development such as how the child learns a language, recognizes objects and learns to communicate with his father and mother," he said.
With a fake child? It might be a good idea for the reporter to explain this.

Doodler
2007-Jun-08, 06:13 PM
Of all the pathetic politically correct crap I've ever seen in my life...

A teddy bear?! I'm gonna hurl.

Noclevername
2007-Jun-08, 06:28 PM
It doesn't look like a bear. It hardly looks like a face. The rock on Mars looks more anthropomorphic.

Gillianren
2007-Jun-09, 03:59 AM
Of all the pathetic politically correct crap I've ever seen in my life...

I don't see it as politically correct, exactly. Just insane.

Doctor Know
2007-Jun-09, 05:20 AM
The stretcher bearer has been replaced by the stretcher bear? :confused:

Perhaps it has a theraputic effect on the enemy as well. They're too busy laughing to shoot.

Van Rijn
2007-Jun-09, 05:34 AM
Interesting article here about a battlefield robot designed to carry wounded soldiers to safety: B.E.A.R. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6729745.stm)

My question is: What's the Cyberdine Systems model number?

Maksutov
2007-Jun-09, 05:43 AM
The stretcher bearer has been replaced by the stretcher bear? :confused:

Perhaps it has a theraputic effect on the enemy as well. They're too busy laughing to shoot.As long as it's not that famous attendant some of us are carried by last: Paul Bearer.

Noclevername
2007-Jun-09, 09:57 AM
As long as it's not that famous attendant some of us are carried by last: Paul Bearer.

I think I know him. He's that guy that can't stop coughin'.

Tog
2007-Jun-09, 11:14 AM
They should test the prototype on drunks to see how well someone a bit out of it would respond.:)

I'm also not sure that I would be all that comfortable being carried that high off the ground in a place where it was still too dangerous to send a human medic. Why aren't these things minesweepers?

As for the face being designed to but people at ease, how about a nice human looking face?

Tobin Dax
2007-Jun-09, 08:52 PM
I can't help but think of the teddy bear toy-made-weapon from Futurama whenever I look at this thread.

Doodler
2007-Jun-09, 11:53 PM
They should test the prototype on drunks to see how well someone a bit out of it would respond.:)

I'm also not sure that I would be all that comfortable being carried that high off the ground in a place where it was still too dangerous to send a human medic. Why aren't these things minesweepers?

As for the face being designed to but people at ease, how about a nice human looking face?

Yeah, when I'm concussed, probably not capable of using all limbs to the best of my ability and my capacity to perceive the world around me is impaired, I would want to be carried off the battlefield by a robot shaped like a predatory animal known for its capacity to dismember humans with minimal effort.

Brilliant.

Van Rijn
2007-Jun-09, 11:56 PM

Then there would be a lot more Terminator jokes, with zombie jokes as well, especially after the thing has been in the field and become a bit worn. Humans are very good at identifying the features on a human face. A manikin-like face would be bizarre (even more than this). We're more accepting of errors if it is obviously cartoonish.

I think if this thing were to make it into actual use as shown, the head would be regularly removed or altered in, ah, humorous ways.

Doodler
2007-Jun-09, 11:58 PM
Then there would be a lot more Terminator jokes, with zombie jokes as well, especially after the thing has been in the field and become a bit worn.

Depending on the gender used, I was thinking Cherry 2000, myself.:lol:

Ronald Brak
2007-Jun-10, 02:12 AM
No one has suggested fighting wars with bear robots yet. That way no injured humans would have to be carried off. Of course we will need bear war arenas to stop innocent bystanders getting hurt.

Doctor Know
2007-Jun-10, 02:58 AM
No one has suggested fighting wars with bear robots yet. That way no injured humans would have to be carried off. Of course we will need bear war arenas to stop innocent bystanders getting hurt.

Yeah...but then you're setting yourself up for the old groaner about having the right to arm bears. :)

Noclevername
2007-Jun-10, 03:56 AM
Yeah...but then you're setting yourself up for the old groaner about having the right to arm bears. :)

War is a grizzly business.

Fazor
2007-Jun-10, 12:31 PM
My question is: What's the Cyberdine Systems model number?

I believe it's model T-3DDy 834R

LurchGS
2007-Jun-10, 09:02 PM

Looking closely at the prototype, I'd think that most commonly the victim would normally be carried as close to the ground as possible - the leggs look like tracks. So, if terrain permits, the victim will be carried much more close to the ground - and when terrain demands, the robot can stand up and ... step up.

As for the face... "Teddy Bear".. seems a bit of a reach, but it's been shown in a number of studies that faces with big eyes are more reasssuring and comforting than faces with smaller eyes (take a look at recent disney movies, for an example - and just about any anime)

Noclevername
2007-Jun-10, 09:28 PM
(take a look at recent disney movies, for an example - and just about any anime)

"MediBear! I Choose YOU!"

LurchGS
2007-Jun-10, 09:55 PM
of course, the Army would call it the Combat Rescue Access Prototype

Noclevername
2007-Jun-10, 10:09 PM
of course, the Army would call it the Combat Rescue Access Prototype

...In the woods.

crosscountry
2007-Jun-10, 10:54 PM
said that the teddy bear appearance was deliberate.

"A really important thing when you're dealing with casualties is trying to maintain that human touch."

that is an odd way of putting it.