PDA

View Full Version : Stable Star Gives the Best Chance for Life

Fraser
2007-Jun-08, 07:34 PM
One of the biggest news stories of the year was an Earth-sized planet orbiting Gliese 581. Even more importantly, this terrestrial planet is orbiting within the star's habitable zone, where any water will likely be in liquid form. ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2007/06/08/stable-star-gives-the-best-chance-for-life/)

justinjenkins
2007-Jun-08, 09:07 PM
Toward the end of your post you said "So, Gliese 581c has liquid water and nice, even warming from the star."

Wait, so they detected water? Or its in the right place for liquid water ...

I might sound a little pessimistic ... but are there any tests that are possible to tell if the planet has a moon(s), a stable orbit itself, an atmosphere or magnetic field? I'd think all of those would be important factors too? Also can we tell if there was any supernova activity in the near past or gamma rays? From your podcast a while back I'd have to assume if there were then any life would be pretty much fried there …

Fraser
2007-Jun-08, 10:08 PM
You're right, that's presumptuous of me, I'll edit it.

Nick4
2007-Jun-08, 10:41 PM
Well that makes scence if the star is a stable one then it would be good for a planet...you dont have to worry about expanding and contracting or the star being unstable.

Curioso
2007-Jun-11, 06:04 PM
How far is Gliese 581c from us ?

justinjenkins
2007-Jun-11, 07:10 PM
How far is Gliese 581c from us ?

If I remember correctly about 20 light years ... so "close" if we were somehow able to travel fast 'nuff ...