PDA

View Full Version : When will somebody do a series like 'Cosmos' again??

Paracelsus
2007-Jun-08, 09:22 PM
Just asking, as 'Cosmos' was what got me interested in astronomy and physics in the first place...

Knowledge_Seeker
2007-Jun-08, 10:06 PM
Well the History Channel is featuring a 13-week series entitled The Universe. I think its very good and provides interesting and good information. Here (http://astroversity.blogspot.com/2007/05/universe.html) is some brief info

Doctor Know
2007-Jun-09, 01:13 AM
I think Cosmos was as unique as it's creator, Sagan. For it's time it was also a first. But, one can always hope there will be more programming like it.

JustAFriend
2007-Jun-09, 06:52 PM
Universe is pretty darn good so far.

They should both be required viewing in the schools.

soylentgreen
2007-Jun-09, 07:05 PM
My opinion...The thing that set(and continues to) COSMOS apart from all the others, including the sleek high-production recent ones, is that it made human beings a crucial part of the story. Starting with him and you....and, of course, plants, going about their planty business!

Well, that and Carl Sagan's turtlenecks! ;)

No need to wow your eyes to get you to appreciate the wonder of it all. Most recent efforts rely on special effects budgets or excited nerdy scientist sound bites to entertain. Timothy Ferris' LIFE BEYOND EARTH, some time back, was nice exception to contemporary trend. Patient and reflective, it rewarded it's viewers with the satisfaction that only comes when something is learned from thought and discovery rather than rote brain hammering.

ps I'm half serious about the turtlenecks thing. His thoughtfulness, sincerity and non-condescending intelligence brought "billions" that much more closer to the sciences than ever would have otherwise. He radiated teacher, friend, curious child and fellow explorer. He wasn't showing you our universe, he was discovering it with us. Yeah...I'm a little bit of a sentimental fool when it comes to him. In the realm of televion, I like to think of him as the flip side of the Rod Serling coin...Whereas Serling wanted to stroll with us through a tour of mankind's inner universe(for better or worse), Sagan strove to share the wonder of the universe around us(both beautiful and intimidating). Two landmark moments in the mediums history that still have not been outdone.

In my opinion CONNECTIONS comes the closest to capturing that COSMOS "thing".

publiusr
2007-Jun-09, 07:16 PM
I think Neal de Grasse Tyson is his heir.

Knowledge_Seeker
2007-Jun-09, 07:53 PM
I think Neal de Grasse Tyson is his heir.

Agreed