PDA

View Full Version : Death by sports cream...

Doodler
2007-Jun-09, 05:21 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/09/musclecream.death.ap/index.html

Her mother, Alice Newman, said she still couldn't believe her daughter's death was caused by a sports cream.
"I am scrupulous about my children's health," she told the Advance. "I did not think an over-the-counter product could be unsafe."

RED ALERT!! IMPENDING MORONIC LAWSUIT AFTER MISUSE OF OTHERWISE SAFE PRODUCT INCOMING!! RED ALERT!!

hhEb09'1
2007-Jun-09, 05:25 PM
"I did not think an over-the-counter product could be unsafe."*cough*aspirin*cough*

LurchGS
2007-Jun-10, 09:37 PM
<gasp>motrin<gasp>

(and, to continue the list)
Ephedrin
nyquil

when will people realize, there are directions printed on these things for a reason???
If you over use *anything* it's dangerous

Noclevername
2007-Jun-10, 09:39 PM
If you over use *anything* it's dangerous

Wat?! Next you'll have us believe that too much oxygen could kill us! Or too much water! ;)

LurchGS
2007-Jun-10, 09:47 PM
absolutely - even too much vacuum!

Krel
2007-Jun-11, 12:45 AM

That's it! I'm not going to take any chances. I'm never vacuuming again!!

David.

Jens
2007-Jun-11, 01:47 AM

No way. I vacuum all the time, and I never die from it. :-)

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jun-11, 02:02 AM
Just how much Icy Hot do you have to use to die? Cover your whole body every few hours of every day, for weeks at a time? Take it orally? :sick:

I've used these types of creams and ointments many, many times when I used to power-lift. Still use them today when lifting weights. I've never noticed any ill-effects. :confused:

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jun-11, 02:24 AM
Here's a brilliant quote from the CNN news article:

"Chronic use is more dangerous than one-time use," Edward Arsura, chairman of medicine at Richmond University Medical Center, told the Staten Island Advance on Friday.

Really? :rolleyes:

Van Rijn
2007-Jun-11, 03:27 AM

A couple of the generated advertisements for this thread were for a certain brand of pain reliever pill and plastic bags. Are they trying to suggest something?

Jens
2007-Jun-11, 03:27 AM
The sentence may have been phrased poorly, but I think it is a genuine point. There are some poisons that accumulate, so what is more important is how much you've taken over your lifetime (mercury is like this). Whereas for other things, such as cyanide, a big dose immediately will kill you but a little bit taken over a long period is not effective.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jun-11, 03:43 AM
The sentence may have been phrased poorly, but I think it is a genuine point. There are some poisons that accumulate, so what is more important is how much you've taken over your lifetime (mercury is like this). Whereas for other things, such as cyanide, a big dose immediately will kill you but a little bit taken over a long period is not effective.

Yes, what you say is true, but he wasn't talking about poisons like mercury and cyanide - he was referring to an over-the-counter item.

Jens
2007-Jun-11, 03:51 AM
It's still poisonous, even if it's an over-the-counter item. Methyl salicylates are poisonous, and they are in sports creams. Actually, so is menthol, apparently.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jun-11, 04:04 AM
It's still poisonous, even if it's an over-the-counter item.

Probably all over-the-counter items that are taken orally or applied to the skin are dangerous if over-used. It's just common sense. And that quote by the doctor in the CNN article? A restatement of common sense.

publius
2007-Jun-11, 04:14 AM
If I read that correctly, they're not exactly sure how she managed to "overdose" on the stuff, they just know she had some ridiculously high level of the stuff in her body. They said either she lathered herself in it ridiculously, or somehow her skin just absorbed the stuff much more than normal. So she might have been just a fluke "overabsorber". Low probability crap like that can happen, well once in a blue moon.

Now, I recall something about some woman who was going to have some dermatological procedure done (at one of these "medical spa" type things), and they gave her some cream to apply beforehand. That was some powerful stuff, IIRC, and she used way too much of it and died in the car on the way. But that stuff wasn't over-the-counter.

-Richard

Doodler
2007-Jun-11, 04:20 AM
She was a distance runner, if I read the article correctly. Either she was using it as a post-run treatment, or was using it to limber up before a run. Given the statements about increased absorption in heat, I'm willing to bet the latter.

Either way, likely not the best, nor intended, uses.

Maksutov
2007-Jun-11, 04:30 AM
That's it! I'm not going to take any chances. I'm never vacuuming again!!

David.I second that!

Better safe than sucky.

Maksutov
2007-Jun-11, 04:31 AM
[edit]Actually, so is menthol, apparently.Are they still putting menthol in cigarettes? If so then that means it's inherently safe, as the tobacco companies would never provide a product that would harm us.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jun-11, 04:35 AM
Wat?! Next you'll have us believe that too much oxygen could kill us! Or too much water! ;)

I know you were just kidding around but people have died from too much water:

Hyperhydration/water poisoning: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_poisoning

Jens
2007-Jun-11, 05:12 AM

Of course they have. That was the point of the post: anything can kill you if taken in too great quanties (except for vacuums). If you're interested in oxygen, search for hyperoxia or oxygen toxicity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_toxicity). Dangerous stuff, oxygen.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jun-11, 05:16 AM
If you're interested in oxygen, search for hyperoxia or oxygen toxicity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_toxicity). Dangerous stuff, oxygen.

Of course I know about that. But thanks for the link anyhow.... :lol:

Noclevername
2007-Jun-11, 05:17 AM
That was the point of the post: anything can kill you if taken in too great quanties (except for vacuums).

If dropped from a sufficient hight, most vacuums can kill.

korjik
2007-Jun-11, 07:56 AM
If dropped from a sufficient hight, most vacuums can kill.

Just swallowing it would prolly be fatal.

Celestial Mechanic
2007-Jun-11, 12:53 PM
Looking at the title of this thread created an image in my mind of a British judge of old putting the little pillow on his head that they used to wear when pronouncing a death sentence and intoning, "The prisoner is to be taken from this place and liberally slathered in sports cream until dead." :eek:

Swift
2007-Jun-11, 12:54 PM
She was a distance runner, if I read the article correctly. Either she was using it as a post-run treatment, or was using it to limber up before a run. Given the statements about increased absorption in heat, I'm willing to bet the latter.

The article in our local paper (Cleveland Plain Dealer) said she used several products on an almost daily basis and had been for a long period of time.

Doodler
2007-Jun-11, 01:13 PM

Hyperhydration/water poisoning: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_poisoning

Somewhere around here, there's a thread about a woman who shuffled off the mortal coil after a radio contest... Maybe, two, three months ago?

NEOWatcher
2007-Jun-11, 01:23 PM
The article in our local paper (Cleveland Plain Dealer) said she used several products on an almost daily basis and had been for a long period of time.

Over here (http://www.cleveland.com/medical/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/news/1181473095286230.xml&coll=2).

In addition to spreading the muscle cream on her legs be tween track meets, Arielle was using adhesive pads containing the anti-inflammatory, plus an unspecified third product containing the chemical

jfribrg
2007-Jun-11, 07:54 PM

I always put on a generous portion of Ben Gay before I race.. Warms up the muscles, makes it easier to strech and prevents any pulls or tears. I don't use it for training runs, just for races. Now that it is known to be lethal, my father is trying to convince me that I am putting my life at risk by putting the cream on. Never mind that I have been doing it for 23 years without a problem (except the very first time when I put too much cream on the hamstring and it found its way to the crotch area - ouch).

Gillianren
2007-Jun-11, 11:10 PM
Looking at the title of this thread created an image in my mind of a British judge of old putting the little pillow on his head that they used to wear when pronouncing a death sentence and intoning, "The prisoner is to be taken from this place and liberally slathered in sports cream until dead." :eek:

The hood, you mean?

Celestial Mechanic
2007-Jun-12, 04:15 AM
The hood, you mean?
It's not a hood (at least as I understand the word, covering up the face). It's like a little throw pillow and a British judge would wear it only for pronouncing a sentence of death. Great Britain no longer has capital punishment so this is no longer used.

Gillianren
2007-Jun-12, 05:23 AM
A hood doesn't have to cover the face; see, for example, the hood on your coat. Regardless, that's the technical term for the thing, which always looks to me more like a handkerchief.

LurchGS
2007-Jun-12, 05:29 AM
and you never wondered at the hankies on the heads of Monty Python's Gumbies?

Van Rijn
2007-Jun-12, 05:32 AM
Somewhere around here, there's a thread about a woman who shuffled off the mortal coil after a radio contest... Maybe, two, three months ago?

Here:

http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=52369

This was local news for me.

Gillianren
2007-Jun-12, 09:05 AM

It's what I think every time I see a British courtroom scene set when they still had capital punishment.

Maksutov
2007-Jun-12, 09:11 AM
The hood, you mean?Boyz n

Swift
2007-Jun-12, 01:09 PM
"My brain hurts!
"We'll have to remove it!"

Celestial Mechanic
2007-Jun-12, 05:22 PM
"My brain hurts!
Or maybe try rubbing a little sports cream on it ... :)

Gillianren
2007-Jun-12, 09:05 PM
Boyz n

The director of that went to the same high school as I, albeit quite a few years before me.

When I first read a book mentioning "the hood" worn by British judges, I had a very different mental image.

Noclevername
2007-Jun-12, 09:07 PM
When I first read a book mentioning "the hood" worn by British judges, I had a very different mental image.

No, no, not during their off hours, he means the ones used when they're working!

Celestial Mechanic
2007-Jun-12, 09:15 PM
"My brain hurts!
Sports cream. Apply directly to the forehead.

:doh:

Van Rijn
2007-Jun-12, 09:42 PM

:doh:

Well, you finally discovered one advantage of the Fake Product That Shall Not Be Named: It's pretty hard to overdose on the stuff, unless you're allergic to wax. This sports cream, unfortunately, actually does something.

Noclevername
2007-Jun-12, 09:44 PM
Mindless repetition! Pass directly by the forebrain!

"Look at the silly monkey!"

Ugh.

Celestial Mechanic
2007-Jun-13, 04:16 AM
Mindless repetition! Pass directly by the forebrain!

"Look at the silly monkey!"

Ugh.

:clap:

Whirlpool
2007-Jun-13, 04:59 AM
Well.. everything that is "too much" is fatal.

:rolleyes: