PDA

View Full Version : Why in the world?

crosscountry
2007-Jun-10, 10:51 AM
And I do mean in the world: do avocados cost less in Germany than in St. Louis?

I just ate a delicious avocado that I bought last week and let ripen. Now I'm wondering why it was cheaper here to buy it than last year in the US.:surprised

Maksutov
2007-Jun-10, 12:42 PM
Señor Guaca says:

¡Un mensaje es bastante!

Ronald Brak
2007-Jun-10, 01:17 PM
American retailing is better at getting goods to consumers at lower markup than European retailing. Of course many factors apply to any individual avocado.

crosscountry
2007-Jun-10, 03:38 PM
Señor Guaca says:

¡Un mensaje es bastante!

you know, that if the board didn't time out every time I tried to post this wouldn't happen. I actually went to the main page to see if this post had posted, and it hadn't.

So I resubmitted and guess what? Double.:doh:

hhEb09'1
2007-Jun-10, 04:58 PM
And I do mean in the world: do avocados cost more in Germany than in St. Louis?
Now I'm wondering why it was cheaper here to buy it than last year in the USwhich was it? was it cheaper in Germany, or not?

crosscountry
2007-Jun-10, 05:01 PM
I'm in Germany, it is cheaper here than in St. Louis.

But those prices will fluctuate I'm sure. Man, I can't even think straight sometimes.

Lianachan
2007-Jun-10, 06:33 PM
Perhaps the fact that the USA grows avocados, while Germany does not, may be a factor.

LurchGS
2007-Jun-10, 08:31 PM
what part of the growing season was it each time you bought, *where* were they grown, how much of a market is there in each place?

All kinds of factors involved

EvilEye
2007-Jun-10, 08:36 PM
What I want to know is why we are shipping FL oranges to California, and vice versa.

It seems as capitalists, we tend to create markets where none were needed.

We do it also with carrots, and cabbage among other products that both states produce.

All we're doing is upping the price by having it shipped both ways.

I guess they don't like the idea that a FL orange would cost about 15 cents (here in FL) if it didn't have to be proccessed, shipped, packaged, and sold across the U.S..

crosscountry
2007-Jun-10, 08:43 PM
man, that was a mistake. I meant to say that I paid less here in Germany than I did last year in the US.

oops.

sarongsong
2007-Jun-10, 08:58 PM
Perhaps the fact that the USA grows avocados, while Germany does not, may be a factor.Not only California; this is a hot-button issue here in "Avocado Country":
April 18, 2007
...the California Avocado Commission decided to sue the U.S. Department of Agriculture in connection with a federal policy change that this year [beginning February 1] allows avocados from Mexico into California for the first time in nearly a century...12 percent of the Mexican avocado shipments that passed through state-run checkpoints contained the armored scale insects...
NC Times (http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/04/19/news/top_stories/1_02_064_18_07.txt)

crosscountry
2007-Jun-10, 09:20 PM
wow, and those are the ones that they caught. I'm sure more passed without being detected.

Trebuchet
2007-Jun-11, 02:12 AM
Any idea where those avocados you bought in Germany were grown? If it was in California, it may not seem to make sense. If it was in Spain, or Mexico, it might.

Then again I'm not sure pricing of anything makes much sense beyond what the market will bear in a particular area. Years ago, on a business trip to Louisiana, I discovered that Washington apples were half the price they were here in the state that grew them. And they were the latest crop, too, unlike the ones we get here that have been in storage for a year.

sarongsong
2007-Jun-11, 03:54 AM
Yummy in hamburgers (w/tomatoes), too, for those that like the taste! http://bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif
(Published) May 2006
...World production of avocados is expected to rise in the 2005/07 period due to increased production in the major avocado exporting countries, improvement in phytosanitary conditions, reductions in trade barriers, and advances in transportation and post-harvest technologies. As a consequence, Mexico and Chile will dominate the export trade...
Table 1. World's top ten major avocado producers
Table 2. World's top ten major avocado exporting countries
Table 3. World's top ten major avocado importing countries...
University of Florida (http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FE639#TABLE_1)

crosscountry
2007-Jun-11, 08:07 AM
Any idea where those avocados you bought in Germany were grown? If it was in California, it may not seem to make sense. If it was in Spain, or Mexico, it might.

Then again I'm not sure pricing of anything makes much sense beyond what the market will bear in a particular area. Years ago, on a business trip to Louisiana, I discovered that Washington apples were half the price they were here in the state that grew them. And they were the latest crop, too, unlike the ones we get here that have been in storage for a year.

My friend from Idaho complains that all the good potatoes are shipped out of state. I think they are still pretty cheap there though.

And my friend from Wisconsin complains that the government gets all the good cheese and gives it to the government cheese program - people that don't even pay for the good stuff! How's that for justice? Meanwhile they are stuck eating cheese curds.

Trebuchet
2007-Jun-11, 11:35 PM
(Published) May 2006
...World production of avocados is expected to rise in the 2005/07 period due to increased production in the major avocado exporting countries, improvement in phytosanitary conditions, reductions in trade barriers, and advances in transportation and post-harvest technologies. As a consequence, Mexico and Chile will dominate the export trade...
Table 1. World's top ten major avocado producers
Table 2. World's top ten major avocado exporting countries
Table 3. World's top ten major avocado importing countries...
University of Florida (http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FE639#TABLE_1)

So with Mexico being far and away the largest producer, and having lower labor costs, and import quotas in the USA, it makes perfect sense that they'd be cheaper in Germany. Good for American farmers, of course, but bad for consumers. Sounds like the quotas are being relaxed though.

RalofTyr
2007-Jun-12, 03:18 AM
That wasn't an avacado you had. It was an apple in both cases.

sarongsong
2007-Jun-12, 03:29 AM
...the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.Well then, of course they were... http://bautforum.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

crosscountry
2007-Jun-12, 08:51 AM
So with Mexico being far and away the largest producer, and having lower labor costs, and import quotas in the USA, it makes perfect sense that they'd be cheaper in Germany. Good for American farmers, of course, but bad for consumers. Sounds like the quotas are being relaxed though.

odd isn't it that they can be shipped across an ocean at ridiculously high gas prices plus storage and the likes, and still make it over here cheaper.

there must be a point (when the market won't bear the prices anymore) that they just say it's not worth the cost and they quit shipping.

Trebuchet
2007-Jun-12, 07:19 PM
And like much produce, they are likely shipped by air!

Remember that to get to market in the USA, avocados have to be shipped up to around 3000 miles anyhow.