PDA

View Full Version : if you had a spaceship for one day.

tofu
2007-Jun-11, 01:42 PM
you wake up one morning to find a UFO has landed in your backyard (an ULO?). The alien aboard says that he needs duct tape to fix his ship, and if you let him have a roll, he will let you borrow the UFO for 24 hours of ship time.

That's enough time for you to make one trip to pretty-much any place you'd like to go. You can go to a planet in our solar system. You can have a look at a giant star or a neutron star or a black hole. You can go any place you want - but you only have time to visit one place.

Where would you go?

Moose
2007-Jun-11, 02:19 PM
you wake up one morning to find a UFO has landed in your backyard (an ULO?). The alien aboard says that he needs duct tape to fix his ship, and if you let him have a roll, he will let you borrow the UFO for 24 hours of ship time.

Is the alien on board while I'm flying? If not, then I park in LEO while I use my cellphone to rat out the alien to the feds. I then have a bit more than a day to play.

I'd feel bad for the alien, but hey, free spaceship. :D

Roy Batty
2007-Jun-11, 04:55 PM
Get in a ship that's been fixed by my own duct tape?!... ain't gonna happen dude:hand::lol:

Doctor Know
2007-Jun-12, 01:19 AM
Where would you go?

I'd buzz Area 51. Give those guys a taste of their own medicine. :D

Van Rijn
2007-Jun-12, 01:40 AM
Tough one. Assuming I couldn't take any instruments, and that I couldn't take it anywhere to be examined, so I wouldn't have evidence and I couldn't do much research, I think I'd go to Mars. I've always wanted to go there, and while there are many things I'd like to see if I could go to multiple locations, if it was just one, I think I might go there. I think I'd write "Kilroy was here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilroy_was_here)" on one of the rovers and grab some rocks. (That assumes they have a spacesuit that fits, of course.)

yuzuha
2007-Jun-12, 02:08 AM
about 14 billion light years away in no particular direction.

mfumbesi
2007-Jun-12, 09:20 AM
Is the alien on board while I'm flying? If not, then I park in LEO while I use my cellphone to rat out the alien to the feds. I then have a bit more than a day to play.

I'd feel bad for the alien, but hey, free spaceship. :D

:lol: How could you be so cruel. The little guy will have metallic probes shoved in every one of his 16 orifices.

I will take ride to Andromeda and take pictures of the Milkyway galaxy from the outside (you know what I mean). If you just zoom to your destination there is no fun in that, I want to do a bit of site seeing (even if you do not stop).

crosscountry
2007-Jun-12, 09:22 AM
:lol: How could you be so cruel. The little guy will have metallic probes shoved in every one of his 16 orifices.

I will take ride to Andromeda and take pictures of the Milkyway galaxy from the outside (you know what I mean). If you just zoom to your destination there is no fun in that, I want to do a bit of site seeing (even if you do not stop).

cool idea. I also like the 14 billion light years in anydirection.

Moose
2007-Jun-12, 09:49 AM
Get in a ship that's been fixed by my own duct tape?!... ain't gonna happen dude:hand::lol:

Don't worry, the duct tape is just for patching up the screen airlock. It's not for anything important. :liar:

m1omg
2007-Jun-12, 11:28 AM
To some white dwarf + red giant accreting binary, with some planet.I will land on it and observe the sunset of that wild binary from it, assuming that it is close enoght to see the accretion process by naked eye and that I have spacesuit resistant to strog radiation and extreme heat.

m1omg
2007-Jun-12, 11:33 AM
To some white dwarf + red giant accreting binary, with some planet.I will land on it and observe the sunset of that wild binary from it, assuming that it is close enoght to see the accretion process by naked eye and that I have spacesuit resistant to strog radiation and extreme heat.

Doodler
2007-Jun-12, 11:52 AM
I'd buzz Pat Robertson's house.

Then I'd ask about the weapon system.:cool:

tofu
2007-Jun-12, 02:35 PM
cool idea. I also like the 14 billion light years in anydirection.

I have to say, that idea seems like a real waste of time. It's going to look the same there as it does here.

Click Ticker
2007-Jun-12, 02:39 PM
I'd head over to the aliens home planet and check things out there. I'd be the first human on another life-bearing world!

Argos
2007-Jun-12, 03:10 PM
In 24 hours of ship time many places could be visited, provided the ship could achieve a significant fraction of c. If you don´t mind the loneliness at the come back...

crosscountry
2007-Jun-12, 05:30 PM
I have to say, that idea seems like a real waste of time. It's going to look the same there as it does here.

then I would go 14 Billion lightyears and 1 light day. Then sit for the next 24 hours and see what happens.

tofu
2007-Jun-12, 06:42 PM
then I would go 14 Billion lightyears and 1 light day. Then sit for the next 24 hours and see what happens.

I think that what you're thinking is that this will allow you to see the big bang or something, but I don't think that's possible. Somebody help me out here.

Even if the alien's spaceship goes through a wormhole and gets you there instantly, the view, from any place in the universe, is the same as from any other place. What that means is, you'll see well-formed galaxies close to you and more primitive galaxies farther away. For example, you can't actually go see a quasar because they don't exist anymore. If you went to a galaxy that the HST sees as a quasar today, you would find a mature galaxy that looks a lot like the milky way. If you looked back toward the Milky Way, you probably couldn't find it, because during its life it has merged with and split from other galaxies, but if you looked at the spot where it was supposed to be, you'd see a quasar.

Or maybe I'm missing what you're trying to say.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jun-12, 06:45 PM
I'd strip it and sell the parts down at Benny's.

redshifter
2007-Jun-12, 07:21 PM
I'd go to any extra solar intelligent life bearing planet, just to prove that intelligent life is elsewhere in our (or some other) galaxy. Aside from the alien whose ship I'm borrowing of course.

Noclevername
2007-Jun-12, 07:27 PM
I'd think an alien lending you a spaceship is pretty convincing evidence of ET life. Although if he needs to borrow duct tape to fix it, it's questionable whether you could consider him intelligent. :)

I'd land on the White House lawn and pose for pictures with it, then give a few reporters a tour of the galaxy. Write book about it, retire on proceeds.

HenrikOlsen
2007-Jun-12, 09:17 PM
Then you'd be the one on the slab with probes in every orifice while the gubmint is busy stripping down the ship:)

Noclevername
2007-Jun-12, 09:20 PM
Then you'd be the one on the slab with probes in every orifice while the gubmint is busy stripping down the ship:)

Hell no! I'd find the gun controls before I landed.

tofu
2007-Jun-12, 09:40 PM
you guys with your guns...

clearly, I need to rephrase this question so that the alien offers to fly you to one location of your choice, and then bring you back.

The point is, if you have the chance to see something, what would you like to see?

Doodler
2007-Jun-12, 09:54 PM
you guys with your guns...

clearly, I need to rephrase this question so that the alien offers to fly you to one location of your choice, and then bring you back.

The point is, if you have the chance to see something, what would you like to see?

Alien nudie bars.

SeanF
2007-Jun-12, 09:58 PM
Alien nudie bars.
If I may quote Guy in Galaxy Quest, "Oh, that's not right."

Noclevername
2007-Jun-12, 09:58 PM
Alien nudie bars.

With green dancing girls! :lol:

Moose
2007-Jun-12, 09:59 PM
Aw. You mean I don't get to jack an alien spaceship and take it for an extended joyride? You never let me have any fun, Tofu. *tsk* Geez, I may as well just go with Doodler.

Slightly more seriously, since I don't know the universe all that well up close, I'd probably get the alien to suggest something, perhaps on or near his/her/its homeworld. Or a nice interspecies hub where I get to meet folks.

crosscountry
2007-Jun-12, 10:27 PM
How about the other side of some of these nebulae? I'd like to see them in 3-d

EvilEye
2007-Jun-13, 12:40 AM
I'd go to the Horsehead Nebula just to see how big it really is.

It freaks me that we have a photo of something that is so big that it would take thousands of generations to traverse even at light-speed.

Doctor Know
2007-Jun-13, 12:56 AM
With green dancing girls! :lol:

Aah. Those hot Orion slave women from Star Trek. I'll go but don't expect the ship back in 24 hours. ;)

Doodler
2007-Jun-13, 12:26 PM
If I may quote Guy in Galaxy Quest, "Oh, that's not right."
:lol::lol: