PDA

View Full Version : Clear skies over London tonight

Glom
2003-Jun-18, 09:37 PM
:D It's time for me to recommence. I've prepared a mission to observe the constellations around the NCP.

Cepheus, Ursa Major, Ursa Minor and Draco should be visible. Hurry up with Ursa Major though.

Also, we have Bootes, Corona Borealis, Hercules and the magnificent Lyra.

Glom
2003-Jun-18, 09:38 PM
Standby One. Something ominous in the south. :x

Glom
2003-Jun-18, 09:40 PM
No wait, it's not as bad as it looks.

Glom
2003-Jun-18, 10:47 PM
Well that sucks. I had to abort my mission because of inadequate nubile activity. I just made up the term. I still caught Ursa Major, Bootes and Corona Borealis. Always a pleasure, if a brief one. Have I mentioned how great binoculars are?

Grand Vizier
2003-Jun-18, 11:54 PM
Go, given our fantastic London skies :wink: why are you moving to Brum?

Russ
2003-Jun-19, 12:09 AM
Well that sucks. I had to abort my mission because of inadequate nubile activity. I just made up the term. I still caught Ursa Major, Bootes and Corona Borealis. Always a pleasure, if a brief one. Have I mentioned how great binoculars are?

No, I don't think you've mentioned how great binoculars are. You should take this opportunity.

Have I mentioned that I won a really great pair of giant binoc's in a recient raffle? [southern California "valley boy" accent]They are like so totally awsome duuuuuude. [/southern California "valley boy" accent]

Yes, I realize that that was shameless bragging. ;) But just in case you can't tell, I'm really psyched about them. Now I just wish it would stop raining here. It's rained so much here that my friends pond has overflowed and he has gold fish swimming in his driveway!

I know, I know, it's all my fault for getting them in the first place. If I hadden't gotten them it wouldn't be raining.......Ya know, it just occured to me that it would be raining anyway because somebody else would have gotten them and it would still have to rain on them. I can't win for losing. :roll: :roll: ;) :D

gethen
2003-Jun-19, 02:30 AM
We could use a little of that rain here. Rain would be fine. Clouds without rain ( what we have now ) are totally inexcusable. Fine night, slight breeze, lots of crummy clouds. :cry:

Glom
2003-Jun-19, 12:33 PM
Go, given our fantastic London skies :wink: why are you moving to Brum?

They have telescopes.

No, I don't think you've mentioned how great binoculars are. You should take this opportunity.

I might have mentioned it here (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3883).

Russ
2003-Jun-19, 08:05 PM

I might have mentioned it here (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3883).

You did mention it there. A rather stuffy, subdued Brittich style mention I note. Being an American I am more accustemed to the bombastic mention, typical of southern California vally boy:

[valley boy accent] It's like totally aaawwwsome duuuude. It like really rocks to, like, look at, like, the night sky with, like, b'noc's. Ya see, like, all kinds of, like, staaaaaars and, like, other totally rad stuff. It, like, really blows my, like, mind. [/valley boy acent] :D

Yes the above was intended to be a joke. No, I don't prefer that type of mention.. But....I like thought It'd be,like, totally funny. ;) :D :lol:

So is anyone laughing with me on this one???? :o

Glom
2003-Jun-19, 08:07 PM
So is anyone laughing with me on this one???? :o

*Cough* *Cough* *Choke* *Suffocate* :)

BCstargazerr
2003-Jun-19, 11:52 PM
you know you have a good clear sky when you can spot M13 in Hercules without optical aids...or perhaps it's just me helping my night vision with medecinal use of canabis :P

Glom
2003-Jun-28, 09:09 PM
Let's try this again.

Tonight, if the clear skies hold, I'm going after Bootes and Corona Borealis, with a possibility of Hercules and Lyra. I'd like to get a few pics of Lyra. I got a couple on my first attempt at astro photography just as it was setting to early to be viable.

Glom
2003-Jun-29, 12:21 PM
Well this time it stayed clear. :D

There was a bit of haze though which made seeing the stars slightly more difficult. Making you way around the constellations with binoculars can be difficult because it reveals so many more stars, it is sometimes hard to be sure which ones are which. I managed to get most of the Bayer stars of Bootes and Corona Borealis, which was good.

I then used a roll of film photographing those constellations as well as Lyra and Hercules. Hercules is big so I'm not sure if I would have even caught all of it even with a 19mm lens. I also tried a 40s exposure at f8 for high quality of Big Dipper. Since it is so polar, its drift is really slow so it might just work.

Annoying thing was that during the entire time, there was this fox or something making rustles in the bushes nearby. It was very distracting.

Glom
2003-Jun-29, 05:07 PM
One thing I forgot to mention. Last night, I saw three bright object crossing over head. They were heading north-easterly. About the point when they were near to zenith, they dimmed and eventually faded completely.