PDA

View Full Version : Diet diaster at the Office Party: SoEEY, piggy piggy!

Paracelsus
2007-Jun-13, 05:33 PM
Ok, I didn't think I ate that much. I had:

1 small piece of cake
1 med size oatmeal raisin cookie
Med. slice of decadent choc. torte
1 mint milano cookie
1 sq. dark choc.
20 doritos

I ate fruit for breakfast this morning, and I ran 18 mi., which usually gives me quite an appetite.

I feel like crap!! Rumbly tummy, sick feeling..the works. I don't feel full, precisely, just sick.:sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:

Had I eaten a 3-course meal with steak, fires, and choc. cake, I would feel full and bloated, but not sick.

I never want to eat again--or at least not until Friday ;)

I think I found a new diet.

Seriously guys, do you have the same experience eating a lot of sweets too?

BTW guys, I am not fat--I weigh 120 lbs at 5'5". I obviously DON'T eat like this all the time. This was a very carb-heavy party.

Could this be used as aversion-therapy for a sweet-tooth, perhaps?? ;)

tofu
2007-Jun-13, 06:20 PM
you ran 18 miles??

Trebuchet
2007-Jun-13, 06:47 PM
The question is, what did you drink? Food like you describe wouldn't bother me a bit, but then I'm (unfortunately) fairly accustomed to eating like that. It's a little too much ethanol that can make me feel really bad.

Gillianren
2007-Jun-13, 07:47 PM
Only 20 Doritos? And you counted?

You didn't eat that much. You did, however, make me feel even worse about my own eating habits.

Paracelsus
2007-Jun-13, 10:07 PM
No alcohol at this party, unfortunately--no alc. allowed in Fed govt buildings. :(

Only 20 Doritos? And you counted?

You didn't eat that much. You did, however, make me feel even worse about my own eating habits.

I don't think it was as much how much I ate as what I ate; I feel like I ate a cannonball. The '20 chips' part was a guesstimate that is accurate within an order of magnitude. ;)

Jigsaw
2007-Jun-14, 03:42 AM
Ok, I didn't think I ate that much.

You didn't. But look at what you did eat, specifically, look at its fat content. You ingested a LOT of fatty foods there, practically nothing BUT fat, all of 'em. Cake, cookies, torte, chips--fat.

Carbs, too, but it's not the carbs, it's the total grams of fat that'll give you what my grandma would have called a "bilious attack", and what the French refer to as mal de foie.

In more scientific terms, your gall bladder, charged with the job of sending out bile acids to help digest fats, was overwhelmed (I take it you don't normally eat such a high-fat junk food diet? That you normally pursue a more abstemious course, yes?), and so all that fat just lay there, digesting poorly and inefficiently, hence the nausea.

Browsing around on Google...

20 Doritos would be 14 grams of fat.

A serving of Betty Crocker chocolate torte is 11 grams of fat.

Four Dark Chocolate Mint Milano cookies are 6 grams of fat, which means that your single cookie contributed 1.5 grams of fat.

A Subway oatmeal raisin cookie is 8 grams of fat.

An entire Hershey Special Dark chocolate bar, regular size, is 13 grams of fat. And they're in 8 squares, so if you ate one square of that, it would have added about 1.5 grams of fat. If it was one of the 5 oz. or half-pounders, then it was even more fat.

3 oz. of broiled t-bone steak, trimmed, is 7.6 grams of fat. But nobody in the world eats only 3 oz. of t-bone, so we'll make it a 6 oz. steak, so 15.2 grams of fat.

An order of fries is 31 grams of fat.

You didn't say what kind of cake it was, but one serving of commercial chocolate cake with frosting is 10.5 grams of fat.

Do the math:

Small amount of junk food at office party: 38.5 grams of fat.
Entire steak dinner: 56.7 grams of fat.

So your little "But...I didn't really eat that much" office party munchies dumped on your digestive tract nearly the equivalent of a steak dinner with fries and cake.

And you ate them all at once, too, in a fairly short time period, yes? A dinner of steak, fries, and chocolate cake would have been eaten much more slowly, giving your gall bladder time to parcel out the requisite bile acids.

I trust that by this time you are feeling better, yes? Calvin Trillin, in one of his books, mentions that the traditional French remedy for mal de foie is Chinese food like chow mein, which makes sense because chow mein is about as low-fat as you can get, as long as you avoid fried noodles. It gives the overworked gall bladder a rest.

What you wanna watch out for is if eating fatty foods causes distinct and piercing, long-term, nauseating pain under your right ribcage, about where your liver would be. That, my friend, is a gall bladder attack, a.k.a "biliary colic", caused by gallstones blocking the bile duct under the impetus of heavy demands for bile acids, and it sometimes means a trip to the emergency room with a horrible Mystery Pain, plus major dietary modifications afterwards.

Sign me,

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT

:D

Trebuchet
2007-Jun-14, 03:58 AM
What you wanna watch out for is if eating fatty foods causes distinct and piercing, long-term, nauseating pain under your right ribcage, about where your liver would be. That, my friend, is a gall bladder attack, a.k.a "biliary colic", caused by gallstones blocking the bile duct under the impetus of heavy demands for bile acids, and it sometimes means a trip to the emergency room with a horrible Mystery Pain, plus major dietary modifications afterwards.

Sign me,

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT

:D

I've been there, done that, as well. About ten years ago I was having what I thought was frequent heartburn. When I went to the doc and pointed out the location (under the right ribcage, just like you say) he immediately said "gallstones". An ultrasound confirmed it.

The doc recommended surgery but I had noticed the association between pain and fatty food. I stopped eating fat almost entirely. Virtually no meat. Salad instead of fries. Non-fat dressing. No butter on my bread. Lots of pasta without meat.

The pain went away. So did about 30 pounds. Felt pretty good.

Ten years later, the weight is all back. And then some. And so are my old eating habits. But the pain has stayed away! Do gallstones spontaneously cure themselves?

Fazor
2007-Jun-14, 06:11 PM
I get like that when I eat too much "sweets" and not enough actual food. My g/f doesn't have that problem. As an example, she gets home about 45 minutes after I do each night. Two days ago she got home and asked if we should start cooking dinner (i.e., if *I* should start cooking it). Well, I was in the middle of kick'n some serious tail at Counter-Strike, so I said "Not yet, I'm not hungry". She goes to the kitchen and grabs a huge slice of cake with about 4-inches of icing and whipped cream, and asks if I wanted a piece. If I ate that BEFORE eating dinner (meats and veggies) I'd be sick as a... well, something that's really sick. But she could eat that and wash it down with some cola. Then top it off with 4-5 chocolate chip cookies and she'd be fine.

Anyway for me, sweets without substaince is a big no-no. But it all depends on the person.

Palomar
2007-Jun-14, 07:04 PM
What is it with our society's criminalization of enjoying food?

Every other form of enjoyment (except smoking) is celebrated. But don't you dare enjoy that 1 Oreo; might gain 50 pounds from it you know.

Tabloids ridicule either overweight or "too skinny" celebs. On and on.

Yes, I do have a sweet tooth. I eat at least 2 sweets every day. And no, I'm not the type to obsess with how many additional calories and carbs a handful of grape tomatoes adds to a salad!

Frankly I think our society's constant obsessing about weight is akin to a psychological disorder...

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jun-14, 07:30 PM
Callimas at Bahar.

Paracelsus
2007-Jun-14, 09:41 PM
Callimas at Bahar.

Wha?

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jun-15, 01:26 AM
Wha?

Khidir beneath Momouteh.

Gillianren
2007-Jun-15, 06:27 AM
Besides which (I'm going to have to watch that episode, too) everyone knows it's better to lose weight by excercising than by starving yourself, if for no other reason than that your body goes into starvation mode and makes you lose less weight.

Now, this doesn't mean you should eat anything you want to without worrying about it. It does, however, mean that the most sensible diet book I've ever seen came with a pedometer and a list of how many steps it took to burn off various foods.

Noclevername
2007-Jun-15, 06:31 AM
Khidir beneath Momouteh.
Tuscon Tim, knocking the Darmok-speak off now. :p

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jun-15, 01:17 PM
Tuscon Tim, knocking the Darmok-speak off now. :p

OK. :cry:

But the quotes all applied to the gist of the posts. :)

Paracelsus
2007-Jun-15, 07:16 PM
What's 'Darmok-speak'?

Is that referring to that episode of Star Trek-TNG where Picard is stuck on this planet with this alien who communicates by making lit references, as in (we would say on Earth): 'Hamlet in Denmark' (to describe either revenge or suicidal ideation) or 'Paris in jail' (to describe a wealthy, spoiled little princess getting justly punished for the first time in her worthless life).