PDA

View Full Version : Sorry Pluto, Eris is Bigger

Fraser
2007-Jun-14, 05:56 PM
For those of you hoping that dwarf planet Pluto would get its full planethood status restored again, the news isn't looking good. The most recent observations peg the newly discovered dwarf planet Eris as being 27% more massive. ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2007/06/14/sorry-pluto-eris-is-bigger/)

ColonyWorlds
2007-Jun-15, 12:55 AM
Pluto never gets any respect in our solar system anymore. Although its a bit smaller than it's Kuiper belt friend, it probably has higher chances of being settled (or at least mined) than its distant buddies (including Eris).

Doctor Know
2007-Jun-15, 02:04 AM
Aye. Poor Pluto. All those years of waiting for Disney to return it's calls and now this.

Seriously, we've only know of Pluto's existence for less than a century. The outer solar system is only beginning to be mapped so there may be more changes yet.

Nick4
2007-Jun-15, 05:50 AM
I think that this hole thing is stupid...who cares what makes a planet a planet...i dont care what anyone says i still consider pluto a planet.

crosscountry
2007-Jun-15, 07:48 AM
Is Eris the new name? was this the Xena from before?

WaxRubiks
2007-Jun-15, 09:53 AM
definition of a planet: If you can morris dance on it, it's a planet.

Kullat Nunu
2007-Jun-15, 11:09 AM
Is Eris the new name? was this the Xena from before?

Thou shalt not mention that name. It was 2003 UB313 before.

Disinfo Agent
2007-Jun-16, 04:45 PM
Size is not everything. :naughty:

parallaxicality
2007-Jun-16, 05:42 PM
Why can't people just describe Pluto for what it is; by far the largest member of the Kuiper belt? That gives it more status than being the smallest, weirdest and least understood planet.

Disinfo Agent
2007-Jun-16, 06:01 PM
Because it isn't the largest member of the Kuiper Belt!

parallaxicality
2007-Jun-16, 06:02 PM
Only if you consider the scattered disc part of the Kuiper belt, which personally I don't because if we considered the SDOs KBOs we'd have to start calling Halley's Comet a KBO.

Disinfo Agent
2007-Jun-16, 07:04 PM
You're right, I see that it orbits beyond the Kuiper Belt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scattered_disk). I didn't know about the Scattered Disk.

crosscountry
2007-Jun-16, 10:41 PM
people that grew up in the 80s will always think of Pluto as a planet. I'm one of them.

But Pluto doesn't have a mostly circular orbit or even one in the plane of the Solar System. Anyway, science books are all out dated and have to be changed now. :/

EDG
2007-Jun-16, 11:23 PM
Well I know I'm looking forward to the time when Pluto can come up in conversation without starting yet another huge debate on peoples' personal definitions of "planet" again (because it's not like it hasn't happened a hundred times already)... ;)

Kullat Nunu
2007-Jun-16, 11:46 PM
people that grew up in the 80s will always think of Pluto as a planet. I'm one of them.

That is the worst argument people usually give. Things change, including our knowledge. Get over with it.

People sometimes make comparisons between the planets and continents: It is true both are more or less culturally defined. Europe is similar glaring exception as Pluto was; I suggest that Europe is demoted to a sub-continent of Eurasia. After all, it is a ridiculously artificial construction. :)

But Pluto doesn't have a mostly circular orbit or even one in the plane of the Solar System. Anyway, science books are all out dated and have to be changed now. :/

Well, there were few if any pre-demotion books about the Solar System that were anywhere close to up-to-date...

Doodler
2007-Jun-17, 12:05 AM
Need a better definition of planet...

Disinfo Agent
2007-Jun-17, 08:23 PM
People sometimes make comparisons between the planets and continents: It is true both are more or less culturally defined. Europe is similar glaring exception as Pluto was; I suggest that Europe is demoted to a sub-continent of Eurasia. After all, it is a ridiculously artificial construction. :)Europe, Africa and Asia were regarded as separate land masses before there was even a concept of "continent" to argue about.

TwAgIssmuDe
2007-Jun-18, 01:15 PM
Was realy crossing my fingers for pluto, now its 100% sure that things will never be like in the old days again...sigh!!