PDA

View Full Version : Toothbrush Technology Breakthrough

2007-Jun-14, 11:59 PM
Just wondering...

I just witnessed a television commercial touting some new toothbrush technology. It was different from the new technology advertised a couple months ago.

Is anyone else tired of constant, nay accelerating, breakthroughs like this? How many new bristle shapes, textures, stiffness, colors, flavors, sounds will we have to endure in the future? How often? Will there be a toothbrush technology breakthrough of the week? The day?

I long for the good ol' days, when toothbrush technology breakthroughs came only at a rate of about one per century. Being a consumer was easier back then. When your toothbrush wore out, you just went to the store and bought one just like the one you had. Ah...

Van Rijn
2007-Jun-15, 12:37 AM
Is anyone else tired of constant, nay accelerating, breakthroughs like this? How many new bristle shapes, textures, stiffness, colors, flavors, sounds will we have to endure in the future? How often? Will there be a toothbrush technology breakthrough of the week? The day?

This acceleration is especially bad in parodied razor blades. Back in the '70s, Saturday Night Live made a spoof commercial about the (then ridiculous) idea of a three bladed razor (http://snltranscripts.jt.org/75/75atriple.phtml). It took quite awhile for the three bladed razor to become real. On the other hand, The Onion more recently parodied the five bladed razor*, and it only took about a year for that to become real. Some are arguing for a Moore's law of razor blades, and are wondering when the razor singularity** will arrive.

*I'd supply a link to the Onion article, but it isn't family friendly.

**That is the hypothetical point where razors become so advanced, they will reach an entirely new and utterly unpredictable level of razoring. This could either spell doom or an astonishing new way of life for humanity.

Noclevername
2007-Jun-15, 12:43 AM
Coming soon, the toothbrush that not only cleans your teeth, it chews and swallows your food for you so that your teeth never get dirty again!

Donnie B.
2007-Jun-15, 03:57 PM
Hey, I'd settle for a brush that fits in the holder that's built into my bathroom wall.

The Supreme Canuck
2007-Jun-15, 04:14 PM
This acceleration is especially bad in parodied razor blades. Back in the '70s, Saturday Night Live made a spoof commercial about the (then ridiculous) idea of a three bladed razor (http://snltranscripts.jt.org/75/75atriple.phtml). It took quite awhile for the three bladed razor to become real. On the other hand, The Onion more recently parodied the five bladed razor*, and it only took about a year for that to become real. Some are arguing for a Moore's law of razor blades, and are wondering when the razor singularity** will arrive.

And I've never quite understood that. I'm switching back to a good ol' straight razor, as soon as I can round up the cash to buy one.

Hugh Jass
2007-Jun-15, 04:33 PM
hmmmm.... the new combination toothbrush and 6 blade razor prototype didn't seem like it was going to make it to production, but we'll see...

nauthiz
2007-Jun-15, 04:38 PM
And I've never quite understood that. I'm switching back to a good ol' straight razor, as soon as I can round up the cash to buy one.

I switched back to a double-edge safety razor about a year ago. I think it actually shaves better than the Mach3 it replaced, doesn't irritate my skin as much, and the blades are a hell of a lot cheaper.

It is admittedly a lot easier to nick yourself, though.

Fazor
2007-Jun-15, 05:42 PM
I like(d) my mach three, but last time I went to buy blades and saw it was something like $16 for two I decided to retire it. I bought a bag of three-blade disposables, and am quite satisfied. Cut much closer than the mach ever did, and if it gets dull blades after two or three shaves like the mach did, it's no biggie because they are disposabe. Half the cost of just the mach 3 razorheads, but I got a lot more of them.

Noclevername
2007-Jun-15, 06:17 PM
hmmmm.... the new combination toothbrush and 6 blade razor prototype didn't seem like it was going to make it to production, but we'll see...

...Then you start selling toothpaste that also treats bleeding gums.

Swift
2007-Jun-15, 06:20 PM

I grew a beard 30 years ago... haven't kept up with razor technology since then. I do brush my teeth though. :D (see, nice and white)

Gillianren
2007-Jun-15, 07:05 PM
Go on, complain, the lot of you--then compare how much surface area I shave to how much surface area you shave.

nauthiz
2007-Jun-15, 07:08 PM
Go on, complain, the lot of you--then compare how much surface area I shave to how much surface area you shave.

Well if we're going to play that game, I got you beat. I'm a cyclist. :hand:

Fazor
2007-Jun-15, 07:27 PM
yeah I was going to say, "Who says I'm not a professional swimmer". I'm not, but you don't know that. Well, now you do, but you didn't.

Delvo
2007-Jun-15, 07:27 PM
Not as sensetive, though... and actually voluntary anyway, and even then still allowed to go more between one shaving and the next...

Gillianren
2007-Jun-15, 11:05 PM
True--and with Graham gone, I don't bother shaving my legs much--who'd know? I don't leave the house much, and when I do, it's usually in pants or a long skirt. (Increasingly shorts this time of year, so I shave more often.)

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jun-15, 11:29 PM
True--and with Graham gone, I don't bother shaving my legs much--who'd know? I don't leave the house much, and when I do, it's usually in pants or a long skirt. (Increasingly shorts this time of year, so I shave more often.)

Just a little more information than we need . . . . :hand: :)

Gillianren
2007-Jun-16, 02:37 AM
If you guys were talking to me in person, you'd know without me telling you, right? At least, if I were wearing clothes where you could see my legs. (Anyway, girls talk about this sort of thing among themselves all the time, no implications intended.)

The Supreme Canuck
2007-Jun-16, 04:05 AM
I switched back to a double-edge safety razor about a year ago. I think it actually shaves better than the Mach3 it replaced, doesn't irritate my skin as much, and the blades are a hell of a lot cheaper.

It is admittedly a lot easier to nick yourself, though.

Of course it shaves better - it's actually sharp! Cheapo disposables like the M3 are designed to pull the hair out of your face, hack through it, then let the remaining hair snap back under the skin. Now, cut hairs are actually very sharp. When you let them slide back under the surface of the skin, they irritate it, and can become ingrown. Also, since a DE is sharp while an M3 is not, you are less prone to scratching your skin. The blade is smooth, not like sandpaper.

As for nicks, I hope you have a styptic pencil - they're right nifty!

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jun-16, 04:14 AM
What is this? A grooming thread? :lol:

Chuck
2007-Jun-16, 04:28 AM
The ultimate grooming device would scan your brain into its memory, grow you a new clone body overnight, and reinstall your brain configuration in the morning. You'd have a fresh, new body every day.

Ronald Brak
2007-Jun-16, 04:41 AM
The ultimate grooming device would scan your brain into its memory, grow you a new clone body overnight, and reinstall your brain configuration in the morning. You'd have a fresh, new body every day.

But don't eat the breakfast sausages!

LurchGS
2007-Jun-16, 05:09 AM

Exactly. In fact, one of the reasons I gave up shaving (aside from the fact that I'm as lazy as any two rednecks combined) is the total dissatisfaction with the current crop of razors. I tried safety. I tried the .. um.. Atra (2 blades), I tried all major brands of electric.

The *only* razor that ever gave me a good shave was a cut-throat. Those require patience and a little skill to use competently. Being lazy, and realizing that the primary reason for shaving is no longer in effect, I gave it up. Now I have a beard I tie behind my head when I bike - it keeps my hair in place better than a bandanna.

And boy, does that let me meet girls!

Back to the toothbrush. I do find this huge market push rather interesting. The companies spend (we assume) millions of dollars on research into improving a $2 tool - and any improvement is measured in single digit percentages.

More to the point, it's not the tool that's important, it's the use. If you use *any* toothbrush the way it's supposed to be used and your teeth will benefit. Whether it's worth the latest and greatest to shave 10 seconds off your appropriate tooth-brushing time.. *I* don't think so.

suntrack2
2007-Jun-16, 10:00 AM
01101001, you will be surprise to hear a news about the tooth brush in the village area in India, these people use a soft branch of babool tree, they cut some little cavity of it and then starts brushing without any tooth paste or any other medium, only that piece of branch having the herbal medicine properties into it and they are using this nature's tooth brush. When I asked them what is the result they said that they don't have any tooth ache complaint. :) I think there are quite changes are appearing in the tooth brush market now a days, but in some youth I have found the wrong method of using tooth brush, may be due to hurry they are not able to clean the teeths with a gentle tooth brush massaging over their teeths.

I think the 50% work done by the tooth paste and rest 50% done by tooth brush!. I have not yet heard that someone using a tooth brush having a battery runed moter into the tooth brush and they are moving it over their teeths.

Your topic is so much interesting and useful for the oral hygine. :)

sunil

Noclevername
2007-Jun-16, 03:14 PM
Back to the toothbrush. I do find this huge market push rather interesting. The companies spend (we assume) millions of dollars on research into improving a $2 tool - and any improvement is measured in single digit percentages.

That's assuming that they're actually telling the whole truth about all this "research" and "breakthroughs". It's advertising, only slightly more honest than politics.

2007-Jun-16, 03:59 PM
[...] in the village area in India, these people use a soft branch of babool tree, they cut some little cavity of it and then starts brushing without any tooth paste or any other medium, only that piece of branch having the herbal medicine properties into it and they are using this nature's tooth brush.

Thanks. I forecast next month's toothbrush technology breakthrough: retro-organic!

Doodler
2007-Jun-16, 07:30 PM
The only new toothbrush tech I'm aware of are the new prison issue ones that can't be melted into shanks.