PDA

View Full Version : Cosmos Series

Knowledge_Seeker
2007-Jun-15, 10:32 PM
I have never seen the Cosmos series, and I think that I may want to watch them. I have heard great things about it, but my only concern is that the information might be out of date. I understand that most of the information is likely to not have changed, but should I watch it?

Disinfo Agent
2007-Jun-15, 10:40 PM
It's a great series. Watch it. You'll probably be able to spot the bits that are outdated.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jun-15, 10:40 PM
The vast majority of the info is still valid. Besides, watching Carl Sagan is a real treat - one of life's pleasures.

The DVD collection has an update after the end of every episode. I assume that when it is braodcast they will include this info.

Maksutov
2007-Jun-16, 02:34 AM
I recently preserved my original VHS version on DVD. "Shores" was starting to show some mistracking so the time was now. The later versions are great too, although I prefer the original endings. BTW, there are many different versions of the show.

The speculations on the possible existence of other solar systems takes on a bit of poignancy. As do other topics which were just about to be illuminated after the series was last updated.

Sagan may have never said "billions and billions" in Cosmos, but his pronunciation of "wombat" is worth the price of admission.

AGN Fuel
2007-Jun-16, 11:23 PM
Sagan may have never said "billions and billions" in Cosmos, but his pronunciation of "wombat" is worth the price of admission.

Hey Mak, given my respect for Sagan's passion to educate, and given the word 'wombat' is my all-time single favourite word in the entire English language, I am on tenterhooks to hear how he could have pronounced it other than the apparently obvious.

Don't leave me in suspense like this!!

Maksutov
2007-Jun-19, 12:54 AM
Hey Mak, given my respect for Sagan's passion to educate, and given the word 'wombat' is my all-time single favourite word in the entire English language, I am on tenterhooks to hear how he could have pronounced it other than the apparently obvious.

Don't leave me in suspense like this!!Here you go! (http://www.yourmp3upload.com/upload/anonymous/Sagan-Cosmos-Wombat!.mpg.MP3)

There's a more explosive version somewhere else that will require some searching.

I may link to the video clip later (6MB).

Alasdhair
2007-Jun-19, 06:31 PM
When Cosmos was first shown in the UK, a Times reviewer made some fun of Sagan's pronunciation:

"... we come to the planet Grff; Grff is where the yoomans live..."

NorthGuy
2007-Jun-20, 12:04 AM
Sagan's delivery was certainly unique. It's what makes the whole series such a joy to watch. I haven't seen it in many years, but just listening to that brief "wombat" clip makes me want to see it again.

To the OP: Yes! By all means, watch it!

jamesabrown
2007-Jun-22, 03:37 PM
What, no mention of Sagan's whale impersonations?

I can just picture a blue whale commenting to another, "Did he just say that we eat beelyuns and beelyuns of krill?"

And yes, Cosmos is very watchable, although there are parts that tend to drag as we spend long periods watching Sagan stare out a window in awe. The final episode featured a one-on-one with Sagan and Ted Turner, of all people. You could skip that with no worries.

NEOWatcher
2007-Jun-22, 04:16 PM
What, no mention of Sagan's whale impersonations?
Oh, thank you...that one is precious.

Bwooop, Ah
Bwooop, Ah, Ah, Ah.