PDA

View Full Version : Best Depiction of a Dystopia in Cinema: Round 1a

Lord Jubjub
2007-Jun-16, 01:02 AM
Pick all of the dystopias you found interesting and reasonably well-drawn. As always, the first round is multiple choice.

I am still open for any more nominations. At the moment, there will be twelve polls in the first round. That means the nominations close for good eight days from now.

Looking over the list, I tried to keep apocalpytic stories out of this poll. I will do Best Apocalypse in a later contest. I am more interested in depictions of societies that had gone bad and how humanity had adapted to these conditions.

Gillianren
2007-Jun-16, 02:44 AM
Personally, I think On the Beach is apocalyptic, not dystopian. Then again, I've never seen it. The only one in this poll I've seen is C.S.A., and I don't much think it's a true dystopia--unless, of course, you're black.

Lord Jubjub
2007-Jun-16, 04:00 AM
True, the line between the two is a bit grey. Then again, it was released in 1959 so I don't think it will have much of an impact in this poll.

Gillianren
2007-Jun-16, 08:28 PM
I haven't gotten to it yet, and it'll take me a while--it starts with "o," after all--but I do want to see it at some point. (Because, you know, Gregory Peck and Ava Gardner!)

Paul Beardsley
2007-Jun-16, 09:58 PM
So you really are watching movies in alphabetical order! I thought that was a joke.

Good on ya, though!

Doodler
2007-Jun-17, 12:01 AM
Personally, I thought Gattaca was the most nonsensical, but the best presented of them.

And to answer Gillian on On The Beach...yeah, but then dystopias sometimes have post-apocalyptic elements to them.

Noclevername
2007-Jun-17, 01:10 AM
Gattaca was a Utopian Dystopia; yes, it had prejudice, but it also had all the benefits of a population composed mainly of geniuses. I didn't vote for it because I thought the way it was presented in the film was too simplistic, but I'm not even sure if it qualifies as a dystopia, since every society has prejudice of some kind.

Dr Nigel
2007-Jun-17, 09:04 AM
I'm surprised to see 12 Monkeys having so few votes. I guess it was as much post-apocalyptic as dystopian, though...

But very well executed.

Gillianren
2007-Jun-17, 11:06 AM
So you really are watching movies in alphabetical order! I thought that was a joke.

Good on ya, though!

Oh, no--no joke. I am going through my local library system's DVD collection fairly systematically. I don't watch them all (I don't care about Baby Einstein or how to massage a horse), but I put every single movie that interests me even a little on hold. This is not going to be a fast process, obviously; they've got in the vicinity of 9000 DVDs, and I estimate I'm watching about 1/4 of them. I am seeing some very interesting movies, though, many of which I'd never heard of before.

Lord Jubjub
2007-Jun-21, 09:35 PM
I'm moving this onto the first page to pick up any stragglers.

Roy Batty
2007-Jun-22, 12:05 AM
No straggling with me, voted Soylent Green & Gattaca a while back:)

Dr Nigel
2007-Jun-22, 01:43 PM
Hm, yes, looks like Gattaca and Soylent Green will move into the next round if the current standings do not change.