PDA

View Full Version : 13 things...

Grand_Lunar
2007-Jun-20, 04:44 PM
Has anyone seen this (http://space.newscientist.com/article/mg18524911.600-13-things-that-do-not-make-sense.html)?

Some items just seem to be bad thinking. Others may be outdated (though the article says it was updated).

Guidence, please?

NEOWatcher
2007-Jun-20, 04:51 PM
Some items just seem to be bad thinking. Others may be outdated (though the article says it was updated).
Yep; sounds like a reporter taking the woo stance and ignoring some of the mundane possibilities. Could be good to question, but not making sense? That's only if you don't want to make sense of them.

Guidence, please?
Move on...

Edit: for test only.

Grand_Lunar
2007-Jun-21, 11:03 AM
Thanks, Neo.

What I was hoping, though, was how to debunk them.
I found this link at IMDb, and I'd like to educate the folks there. Gotta spread the skill of critical thinking!

Ronald Brak
2007-Jun-21, 12:21 PM
These tests on homeopathy proved that it works. Admittedly there are all these other tests that show it doesn't work, but these tests show that it does work so it must work. I mean there is no way that performing a large number of tests might end up with a couple of them giveing positive results by chance. It's conclusive proof. If I can hit the bull's eye on an archery target twice it proves that I'm a great archer. It doesn't matter if I used a hundred arrows to hit the bull's eye twice, the two that hit are conclusive proof.

Ilya
2007-Jun-21, 12:32 PM
And there is other evidence that supports the idea of matter composed of multiple neutrons: neutron stars. These bodies, which contain an enormous number of bound neutrons, suggest that as yet unexplained forces come into play when neutrons gather en masse.

Um... gravity?

NEOWatcher
2007-Jun-21, 12:35 PM
Thanks, Neo.

What I was hoping, though, was how to debunk them.
I found this link at IMDb, and I'd like to educate the folks there. Gotta spread the skill of critical thinking!
Unfortunately, some of it takes knowledge of each subject. I can only give a "gut feel" response because I know there is more to each situation than they are reporting. So; even though it's enough to convince me, it's not enough to build an argument around.

Some of them are mysteries though. Effects of the mind are especially elusive, and do require more study. The BB also, but research is occuring, and theories do exist.

But; Some of those items do give clues as to how to debunk them. Some of them indicate "some people think that...", when in fact, expanding on the statement will debunk it.

And the presentation of "not making sense", in itself, is too vague of a statement to make. What do they mean by it? Common Sense? Doesn't fit theory? No... quantum physics doesn't make sense (at least to most people), but it does fit theory.

farmerjumperdon
2007-Jun-21, 01:57 PM
These tests on homeopathy proved that it works. Admittedly there are all these other tests that show it doesn't work, but these tests show that it does work so it must work. I mean there is no way that performing a large number of tests might end up with a couple of them giveing positive results by chance. It's conclusive proof. If I can hit the bull's eye on an archery target twice it proves that I'm a great archer. It doesn't matter if I used a hundred arrows to hit the bull's eye twice, the two that hit are conclusive proof.

Is that sarcastic or facetious? IMO, if you hit the bull only twice in 100 shots, it proves you are not a very good archer. Of course we'd need to know the conditions. Were you blindfolded, was it at night in the dark, were you using one of those little plastic souveneir shop bows that can only shoot 10', etc.

So give us the particulars and then we'll see.

Ronald Brak
2007-Jun-21, 02:11 PM
25 meters, sunlight, minimal wind, 30 pound bow.

2007-Jun-21, 02:19 PM
Has anyone seen this (http://space.newscientist.com/article/mg18524911.600-13-things-that-do-not-make-sense.html)?

Yes. And, discussed it in 2005: topic 13 Things that do not make sense? (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?p=374267)

NEOWatcher
2007-Jun-21, 02:24 PM
Yes. And, discussed it in 2005: topic 13 Things that do not make sense? (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?p=374267)
Wow, the titles are so different? :lol:

I probably would have looked if I noticed the statement in the article:

From issue 2491 of New Scientist magazine, 19 March 2005, page 30

Now; can someone explain why they are reprinting it? (Other than they are lazy, or found that it is too much money to actually develop new stories)

Grand_Lunar
2007-Jun-22, 11:46 AM

D'oh! I've been ToSeeked! (even if he's not in that thread)

I too am curious why it's been revamped. Maybe something new has been found. Or not.

I wonder if the homoepathy effect observed is just a variation on the placebo effect?

farmerjumperdon
2007-Jun-22, 01:03 PM
25 meters, sunlight, minimal wind, 30 pound bow.

I still can't tell if your comments were in support of homeopathic medicine or if you were being sarcastic and don't atually buy into it.

I've never heard of a single controlled study that positively supported it.

Jeff Root
2007-Jun-22, 08:33 PM
Nothing obviously wrong with the article that I can see.
Nothing wrong with updating an old article with new info.

This thread brought to you by Emily Lattila.

Grand_Lunar
2007-Jun-23, 12:22 AM
Not the article, maybe. It's the content that needs attention!

Ronald Brak
2007-Jun-23, 03:12 AM
I still can't tell if your comments were in support of homeopathic medicine or if you were being sarcastic and don't atually buy into it.

Okay, I'll admit I was firing the bow at 2.5m and it took me a hundred shots to get the two bull's eyes that prove that I'm a great archer.