PDA

View Full Version : AFI's top 100 films

Palomar
2007-Jun-21, 11:55 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070621/ap_en_...FO2ggFbToFxFb8C (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070621/ap_en_mo/film_afi_movies;_ylt=AqAxL3tLYT404FO2ggFbToFxFb8C)

Citizen Kane tops list again. I've not seen that film; need to.

The Graduate is on the list...not surprising.

The Sixth Sense also made it --??! That's surprising. It was good, but not that good.

Didn't check the entire list (link within the article), but I'd be surprised if Stanley Kubrick's The Shining is not on it. That is a very good film, imo; he managed to capture the essence of Stephen King's best novel in under 2 hours. Jack Nicholson and Shelley Duvall's performances were top-notch; Wendy's character was especially portrayed in a manner very different from most film wives (not curvaceous; not glamorous; actually a bit dippy looking ... and especially her tearful snorting at various points). The sets, atmosphere, costumes, everything about it is a "must see again," imo. Even if Stephen King himself hated Kubrick's "interpretation." :rolleyes:

Damien Evans
2007-Jun-21, 12:17 PM
Glad to see Schindlers List so high, but the Wizard Of Oz?

I gotta say, i think that is one of the worst movies ever made

farmerjumperdon
2007-Jun-21, 01:45 PM
I must not have normal or average tastes. The only 2 in the top 10 that make my top 10 are Casablanca and Schindler's List. I agree they are all, or mostly, good movies; just that my rankings would be in a radically different order. Sure, It's a Wonderful Life and Wizard of Oz are entertaining; but are they in the top 20 movies ever made? For me, a really great movie needs to grip me, reach me emotionally in an involuntary way. It has to wow me in a way I can not resist, not sell me as "Come on, this will be fun."

They seem to have a strong bias to older movies and to the big movie houses.

Some of the terribly underranked movies, just to take the 70's and 90's ranges as examples:

Saving Private Ryan at #71. Gimme a break - top 10 easy. The credibility of the entire list is at serious risk by this movie falling below stuff like Tootsie, Some Like it Hot, ET, etc.

Shawshank Redemption at #72?
Silence of the Lambs at #74?
Goodfellas at #92? This movie is done way better than The Godfather. Maybe they take into account when the movie was made, handicapping by age because they expect modern productions to be better. And if it is not enough of an "epic" then Once Upon A Time In America is the better gangster/mafia movie.
Pulp Fiction at #94? Maybe not fantastic, but certainly deserving of top 50 at the least. Easily better than half the stuff on the list. This is rated lower than American Graffiti?

NASA Fan
2007-Jun-21, 02:09 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070621/ap_en_...FO2ggFbToFxFb8C (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070621/ap_en_mo/film_afi_movies;_ylt=AqAxL3tLYT404FO2ggFbToFxFb8C)

Citizen Kane tops list again. I've not seen that film; need to.

I would say don't waste your time. I saw it once, and the main reason I did not walk out of the theater, is that I was on an airplane.

You sit through two (or more) hours to find out about this miserable man's life, and the meaning of the word "rosebud."

Palomar
2007-Jun-21, 02:10 PM
Tootsie

I've never watched that film in its entirety; 5 minutes of listening to Dustin Hoffman affect that weirdly distorted feminine voice is enough to make me late for the door 4-1/2 minutes prior. Ugh.

Hoffman's a fine actor, but I think phenomenal success ruined him; he's too confident and that took the edge off. He was spectacular in The Graduate and Midnight Cowboy, Kramer vs. Kramer. After that, I dunno...Dustin just leaves me dusted. ::shrugs:: He lost "it" somewhere along the line; I've not enjoyed any of his work since the 1980s on.

Palomar
2007-Jun-21, 02:14 PM
I would say don't waste your time. I saw it once, and the main reason I did not walk out of the theater, is that I was on an airplane.

You sit through two (or more) hours to find out about this miserable man's life, and the meaning of the word "rosebud."

:lol: Thanks for the warning!

OneHotJupiter
2007-Jun-21, 02:23 PM
C'mon!!!

Citizen Kane is a brilliant movie , Orson Welles was like 25 when he did that and it was more than loosely based on the life of Newspaper magnate William Randolph Hearst , the acting and cinematography revolutionized motion pictures!

The tale of an eccentric billionaire national hero , slowly driven into seclusion and insanity only to die alone and one reporters obsession with his final words , The character was hardly a "Miserable man" He did become that , but that is half the movie , why he beacme that!

If you don't see the brilliance in Orson Welles masterpiece , I feel for you , maybe it's because NASA fan WAS on a plane that he didn't like it , granted it's black and white , but I bet if he were to give it another shot he might see the beauty of such a wonderful film!

I don't see how they could have left off American Beauty from that list , that's my complaint.

NASA fan Please try to see it again!

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jun-21, 02:35 PM

I have to agree and, thinking I must have missed something, I gave it second and third tries. Don't know what the attraction is. Maybe you had to be there? :)

SeanF
2007-Jun-21, 02:42 PM
Citizen Cane is a brilliant movie , Orson Welles was like 25 when he did that and it was more than loosely based on the life of legendary avaiator Howard Hughes , the acting and cinematography revolutionized motion pictures!
You misspelled "Kane," as well as "newspaper magnate William Randolph Hearst." ;)

Doodler
2007-Jun-21, 03:45 PM
Doodler's List:

Why is ET on that list?

Good to see Peter Jackson got a nod for Fellowship.

M*A*S*H should be MUCH higher on the list.

Titanic has no business on the list.

Yankee Doodle Dandy is LONG overdue to drop into the dustbin of history along with Singing In The Rain...

farmerjumperdon
2007-Jun-21, 03:51 PM
I don't see how they could have left off American Beauty from that list , that's my complaint.

Agree. I see it as evidence of the bias I mentioned against more recent releases. That and their homage to the big houses. Some of my other favorites not on the list (at least not in my quick read through):

The Dunebar Boys
Light Sleeper
Sobibor
The Music of Chance
Bad Lieutenant
Sleepers
Niagra Niagra
The Field
Basketbal Diaries
After Dark My Sweet
Bodies, Rest & Motion
The Last Outlaw

Some of these are a bit obscure, or just forgotten by time. If you have an evening and don't have another in mind, try one.

Noclevername
2007-Jun-21, 03:54 PM
All just a matter of opinion. Their list of "best" matters no more than yours or mine.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jun-21, 03:58 PM
As long as Easy Rider isn't on the list, I'll be happy.

Parrothead
2007-Jun-21, 04:20 PM
As long as Easy Rider isn't on the list, I'll be happy.

Number 84 ;)

The Killers (1946), would have easily made the Top 100 on my list. I think TCM is airing it again, this weekend.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jun-21, 04:30 PM
Number 84 ;)

That immediately invalidates the list. :sick:

Trantor
2007-Jun-21, 04:32 PM
I noticed that they dropped "All Quiet on the Western Front". I saw this years ago and it certainly deserves to be on the list. One of the oldest and best war movies ever made. It's depiction of the horrors of war will scare you.

Also, why is "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" not on the list, while many other less deserving films are there.

Oh well, I guess the people that put this list together have their opinion. I remember reading in Wiki that in most Best Film Polls by regular viewers, "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" was generally rated very high up on the lists of all time favorites. Top ten in many polls.

Click Ticker
2007-Jun-21, 05:10 PM
They just need to change the name from "the top 100" to "The most significant 100". In that case, "The Wizard of Oz" makes sense with it's revolutionary use of color. Others also make sense for their commentary on the culture of the time.

Swift
2007-Jun-21, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Palomar
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070621/ap_en_...FO2ggFbToFxFb8C

Citizen Kane tops list again. I've not seen that film; need to. I would say don't waste your time. I saw it once, and the main reason I did not walk out of the theater, is that I was on an airplane.

I won't make it # 1 on my list, and maybe not even the top 10, but almost certainly the top 25. As my dad used to say, "That's what makes horse races, it wouldn't be interesting if everyone bet on the same horse". ;)

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jun-21, 05:16 PM
They just need to change the name from "the top 100" to "The most significant 100".

Great idea!

Palomar
2007-Jun-21, 06:00 PM
36. "The Bridge on the River Kwai," 1957.

One of the best military movies ever, imo. I loved this film the first time I saw it around age 10 or 11 (Sunday afternoon TV) -- and I'm a girl! Sir Alec Guiness and William Holden are fabulous; solid performances. Its timing and pacing are impeccable.

I see Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? also made the list. Saw it once...don't care to see it again.

Gillianren
2007-Jun-21, 06:49 PM
I won't make it # 1 on my list, and maybe not even the top 10, but almost certainly the top 25. As my dad used to say, "That's what makes horse races, it wouldn't be interesting if everyone bet on the same horse". ;)

Ditto. I wouldn't even say I enjoyed it, but I did think it was fascinating, especially if you already know some of the real history. (For the record, Orson Welles was very sorry about how he portrayed the Marian Davies character, because there was one prominent distinction between the two women--a lot of minor ones, but one prominent one--Marian Davies had talent.)

I don't watch these lists because I agree with them. For one, I've only seen about half the movies, though I'm seeing more movies every day. (Today, I'm watching Zardoz!) And I don't know what their criteria are, so I can't make an informed decision about why they're wrong. (I loathe The Wizard of Oz, in no small part because I like the book so much.) I watch them for the interviews--many of which, this year, were with people who were interviewed ten years ago, when the first list came out, and are now dead.

Incidentally, the link doesn't work for me.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jun-21, 06:53 PM
(Today, I'm watching Zardoz!)

You just want to see Sean Connery naked. :)

Larry Jacks
2007-Jun-21, 06:58 PM
The tale of an eccentric billionaire national hero , slowly driven into seclusion and insanity only to die alone and one reporters obsession with his final words , The character was hardly a "Miserable man" He did become that , but that is half the movie , why he beacme that!

When "Citizen Kane" came out in 1940, Hughes wasn't the reclusive figure he became in later years. The movie was more closely based on William Randolf Hearst than anyone else.

All of the "Top 100" ranking are pretty meaningless, IMO. Many of the movies on that list were very good, but who's to say how much one was better than another. It would've perhaps been more meaningful if they'd just listed their top 100 movies without ranking them.

SeanF
2007-Jun-21, 07:28 PM
(Today, I'm watching Zardoz!)
:eek:

You ruined my joke (http://www.bautforum.com/showpost.php?p=1013744&postcount=33)!

:cry:

farmerjumperdon
2007-Jun-21, 07:36 PM
I noticed that they dropped "All Quiet on the Western Front". I saw this years ago and it certainly deserves to be on the list. One of the oldest and best war movies ever made. It's depiction of the horrors of war will scare you.

Also, why is "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" not on the list, while many other less deserving films are there.

Oh well, I guess the people that put this list together have their opinion. I remember reading in Wiki that in most Best Film Polls by regular viewers, "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" was generally rated very high up on the lists of all time favorites. Top ten in many polls.

Now that would be interesting. A poll from a statistically valid sample that represents a cross section of the population, sliced and diced every which way. I'd personally like to know the top 10 movies of the average 30 to 39 year old white male plumber with some college that lives within 10 miles of a White Castle and enjoys rock climbing, disco and going bald.

That would be truly fascinating.

R.A.F.
2007-Jun-21, 09:40 PM
The Sixth Sense also made it --??! That's surprising.

I'll say. I don't think it was that good at all. Like all of M. Night's movies, it relies on a "gimmick". It also relies on the audience not guessing the "gimmick" before the end of the movie.

Unfortunately, in The Sixth Sense the gimmick was, IMO, so broadly telegraphed, that I figured it out within the first 10 minutes of the movie...

...making the wait for the end of the movie quite boring.

Noclevername
2007-Jun-21, 09:44 PM
Unfortunately, in The Sixth Sense the gimmick was, IMO, so broadly telegraphed, that I figured it out within the first 10 minutes of the movie...

...making the wait for the end of the movie quite boring.

I didn't, and I still found the film quite boring.

R.A.F.
2007-Jun-21, 09:45 PM
:lol:

Lord Jubjub
2007-Jun-22, 12:50 AM
I figured out the gimmick halfway through because the movie was going at such a glacial pace. Unfortunately, I had forgotten what the opening scenes were and didn't think they would actually go through with what I thought would be the logical ending.

In other words, I guessed the ending correctly but was still surprised when it came.

OneHotJupiter
2007-Jun-22, 01:35 AM
Whoops , I meant W.R. Hearst , Oh well!

Silll think "Kane" belongs in the top 10 Maybe not #1 , but I personally loved it.

Doctor Know
2007-Jun-22, 02:53 AM
Interesting to see The Searchers make such a big leap from the previous list. Raging Bull as well. One of those movies that didn't make a big splash when first released but has been making a strong impression ever since.

Gillianren
2007-Jun-22, 07:27 AM
:eek:

You ruined my joke (http://www.bautforum.com/showpost.php?p=1013744&postcount=33)!

:cry:

Netflix. The library doesn't have it.

(The reason I'm watching it at all, incidentally, ties into my obsessive-compulsive tendencies: I alphabetize my movies on my shelves, and I don't have one that starts with "z" yet. As soon as it comes out on DVD, I'll watch Zodiac as well.)

Delvo
2007-Jun-22, 01:01 PM
:( No Zulu?

farmerjumperdon
2007-Jun-22, 01:06 PM
Or Zorba the Greek?

hhEb09'1
2007-Jun-22, 01:11 PM
Zorro (x N)

Maksutov
2007-Jun-22, 01:17 PM
Let's face it.

Movies, as with other art forms, aren't subject to objective criticism et al.

Instead, chacun à son goût.

For me, I enjoy Citizen Hearst immensely, despite the shaggy dog, and wonder how It's A Wonderful Life could affect anyone with its blatant sentimentality, except during the holidays when the viewer has probably succumbed to hiser brandy snifter and will accept anything as significant, meaningful, and emotionally stirring.

BTW, I wonder if that stripper is still in business. The one named Zu Zu Petals.

As for most recent movies on the list, well, despite box office proceeds, etc., glop is still glop.

Maksutov
2007-Jun-22, 01:18 PM
Zorro (x N)ZZZ...: The Last of the Alphabet Monsters.

Delvo
2007-Jun-22, 02:10 PM
...wonder how It's A Wonderful Life could affect anyone with its blatant sentimentality, except during the holidays when the viewer has probably succumbed to hiser brandy snifter and will accept anything as significant, meaningful, and emotionally stirring.It was originally a flop. Critics/reviewers pummelled it and it failed in the market with the populace. It ended up going back on the air later on because it was cheap to get the rights to, which was because nobody wanted it.

Gillianren
2007-Jun-22, 08:14 PM
:( No Zulu?

I saw it; I didn't like it enough to want to own it. Zulu Dawn, I just couldn't finish. I've not gotten to Zorba the Greek, I'd have to special order Z (though it was quite good), and if they'd release the old Guy Williams Zorro on DVD, I'd get it. Zardoz is very, very silly, and if the friend I give really bad movies to every Christmas gave it to me in retaliation, I wouldn't get rid of it. But I'm certainly not wasting my own money on it.

jamesabrown
2007-Jun-22, 08:43 PM
I didn't, and I still found the film quite boring.

Okay, in order to put the rest of you to shame--I'm the least sophisticated movie-watcher in the room, hands down.

I watched Sixth Sense, and I didn't catch the gimmick until it was actually revealed in the film.

But wait, there's more...I knew what the gimmick was before I saw the movie. I read the twist in a spoiler on a message board ahead of time, and I was still surprised when the gimmick was unfolded.

Beat that!

hhEb09'1
2007-Jun-22, 09:20 PM
Beat that!I think I've described this before somewhere on this board. I read the book Sphere by Michael Crichton, and didn't realize that I'd read it before until I got to the part where the crew desides to forget the whole episode. That was weird.

Delvo
2007-Jun-22, 10:04 PM
I didn't like it enough to want to own it... I just couldn't finish... Zardoz is very, very silly... I'm certainly not wasting my own money on it.If quality is an issue as well as first letter, and you eliminated the other two for that reason, I'm amazed you even tried Zardoz at all. Doesn't every single mention of that movie come with a warning? :D

Van Rijn
2007-Jun-22, 10:53 PM
I think I've described this before somewhere on this board. I read the book Sphere by Michael Crichton, and didn't realize that I'd read it before until I got to the part where the crew desides to forget the whole episode. That was weird.

Maybe it's something about Crichton? I didn't remember I had read Jurassic Park prior to seeing the movie until someone reminded me of it after I saw the movie. That's the only time I'm aware that's happened. I had found the book tedious, so it left little impression on me.

GeorgeLeRoyTirebiter
2007-Jun-22, 11:05 PM
For me, I enjoy Citizen Hearst immensely, despite the shaggy dog, and wonder how It's A Wonderful Life could affect anyone with its blatant sentimentality, except during the holidays when the viewer has probably succumbed to hiser brandy snifter and will accept anything as significant, meaningful, and emotionally stirring.

IMHO, the big deal about Kane isn't the narrative, but the over-the-top theatrics of the cinematography and editing. Welles near-mythical status probably doesn't hurt it, either (script co-author Mankiewicz's comment on Welles: "There, but for the grace of God, goes God").

As for Life, film reviewer Glenn Erickson has advanced a hypothesis (http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s55wonderful.html) that the film's flashback structure was created in the editing room, saving what would otherwise have been an unwatchable mess. The evidence for his claim is circumstantial, but the one item that could disprove it (an original shooting script) has remained elusive.

hhEb09'1
2007-Jun-22, 11:35 PM
Maybe it's something about Crichton? Low calorie literature...no...I know, Lit Lite

Gillianren
2007-Jun-23, 11:20 AM
If quality is an issue as well as first letter, and you eliminated the other two for that reason, I'm amazed you even tried Zardoz at all. Doesn't every single mention of that movie come with a warning? :D

Sadly, no. There are, believe it or not, people who think it's a movie with deep social significance. Personally, I made it through by picturing Keith Richards watching the filming saying, "Seriously, guys--you might want to cut down on the drugs a little."

No, I knew going in that it would be quite bad. However, there are several different kinds of bad, and I wasn't sure which one it would be. Turns out it was indeed just bad.

Maksutov
2007-Jun-23, 11:27 AM
Sadly, no. There are, believe it or not, people who think it's a movie with deep social significance. Personally, I made it through by picturing Keith Richards watching the filming saying, "Seriously, guys--you might want to cut down on the drugs a little."...LOL! That's good!

But if Boorman et al had cut down on the drugs, would we have had giant flying heads?

:think: