PDA

View Full Version : Come on Eta Carinae... Explode Already!

Fraser
2007-Jun-22, 12:50 AM
The death watch is on for Eta Carinae, a relatively nearby massive star that's set to explode as a supernova. The Chandra X-Ray Observatory delivered this beautiful photograph of the star and its surrounding nebula; layers of material that it's already shed in its death throes. ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2007/06/21/come-on-eta-carinae-explode-already/)

Doctor Know
2007-Jun-22, 05:24 AM
That's the mind-bending part for me. Being 7,500 light years away it conceiveably could have been a collapsar cinder for centuries now couldn't it? The 'jet lag' of light traveling across enormous distances is hard to wrap your mind around.

Fraser
2007-Jun-22, 06:45 AM
Yup, it could have already exploded, and we just don't know it.

Himanshu Raj
2007-Jun-22, 02:30 PM
With what minimal resolution power a telescope can one see Eta Carinae at present.

JustAFriend
2007-Jun-22, 02:39 PM
From what I read in another article, your naked eye will do.

If it blows, it may be as bright as the full moon and may be visible in daylight.

Hamilcar
2007-Jun-22, 02:52 PM
The problem is that Eta Car probably won't explode though, since it's most likely an ongoing binary merger.

Himanshu Raj
2007-Jun-22, 02:56 PM
From what I read in another article, your naked eye will do.

I mean a telescope that can distinguish its beautiful lobes.

Himanshu Raj
2007-Jun-22, 02:59 PM
The problem is that Eta Car probably won't explode though, since it's most likely an ongoing binary merger.

binary merger! :confused: How's that?

The lobes of this star were as a result of a previous explosion that blew its outer atmosphere away.

Himanshu Raj
2007-Jun-22, 03:08 PM
Are there nearby stars apart from Eta Carinae that are on the verge of exploding?

tofu
2007-Jun-22, 06:33 PM
Are there nearby stars apart from Eta Carinae that are on the verge of exploding?

If by "on the verge" you mean in the next few thousand years, Betelgeuse is only 427 light-years away.

Mansie
2007-Jun-23, 10:26 AM
Betelgeuse going supernova at only 427 light years away... Thats close enough to present a significant danger to ourselves isn't it?

trinitree88
2007-Jun-23, 10:51 AM
Betelgeuse going supernova at only 427 light years away... Thats close enough to present a significant danger to ourselves isn't it?

Mansie. Only if we're lined up for a blast from a polar region..otherwise it'll be a great show.So, it's not likely. For most supernovae 10-20 lightyears is considered minimal survivable distance. pete.