PDA

View Full Version : Oprah winfrey tv show

suntrack2
2007-Jun-22, 05:10 PM
first time I ignore to hear the wording in this show but next time, when I was in front of tv last time then I got this show, which I have found most intelligent.

There are least great show on the television besides the big advertisements on every chanel, normally I use to mute the tv when the advertisements appear, but when I have seen this show the voice was bigger.

Really this show is funtastic, besides fun there are the things which are so important in public places that how to present ourself and how to cope up with the situations this show is greatly helpful, I don't know what is your experience.?

:)

vonmazur
2007-Jun-22, 08:41 PM
It proves that H.L. Menken was correct in his assessment of US culture....

"No one ever went broke underestimating public taste!"

Dale in Ala

Noclevername
2007-Jun-22, 10:04 PM

But it's "funtastic"! :rolleyes:

novaderrik
2007-Jun-23, 06:35 PM
what book did she tell you to read, and what diet did she tell you to go on?

Paracelsus
2007-Jun-23, 07:54 PM
Oprah was the first to promote 'The Secret', I believe. Y'all know the book I'm talking about, right? It's the one that says that all you have to do to get anything you want in life is to simply wish for it to happen, and it will.

For instance, if you want a brand new car, all you have to do is think that you will get a brand new car, and a new car will subsequently drive itself to your door without any effort on your part. Somehow your 'positive thoughts' attracted those good things (the car, etc) to you. :rolleyes:

I used to have a lot of respect for Oprah's show until I heard that she was peddling that tripe.

vonmazur
2007-Jun-23, 07:54 PM
"Creating Neologisms in English for Non-Native Speakers"

by Armondo Archaeaptyryx

I think it was called..

Dale in Ala

Noclevername
2007-Jun-23, 08:02 PM
Oprah was the first to promote 'The Secret', I believe. Y'all know the book I'm talking about, right? It's the one that says that all you have to do to get anything you want in life is to simply wish for it to happen, and it will.

Hey, Oprah wanted to have her name and picture on everything she's associated with, and it happened. Her show, production company, magazine, book club, etc. Coming soon, Oprahland theme park! There's an Emotional Rollercoaster, the Media Sideshow, the Dr. Phil Diet Food Court, and the Tom Cruise Bouncy Couch for the smaller kiddies. And every seat has a special surprise under it. *

* Not responsible for what may be found under seats. Ewww.

Paracelsus
2007-Jun-23, 08:10 PM
Hey, Oprah wanted to have her name and picture on everything she's associated with, and it happened. Her show, production company, magazine, book club, etc. Coming soon, Oprahland theme park! There's an Emotional Rollercoaster, the Media Sideshow, the Dr. Phil Diet Food Court, and the Tom Cruise Bouncy Couch for the smaller kiddies. And every seat has a special surprise under it. *

* Not responsible for what may be found under seats. Ewww.

ROFL!!

Tom Cruise should have his own park too...Adventures in Cruiseland, or something like that.

Surely somebody has posted about 'The Secret' on BAUT before (am too lazy to search).

Noclevername
2007-Jun-23, 08:15 PM
Tom Cruise should have his own park too...Adventures in Cruiseland, or something like that.

Tom Cruise already has a little place called Wackyland, right in the heart of Woo-Woo Central.

You take a DC-8 through space to the Galactic Empire, then a left turn at Psychiatrist's Row. Can't miss it.

WaxRubiks
2007-Jun-23, 09:10 PM
Tom Cruise already has a little place called Wackyland, right in the heart of Woo-Woo Central.

You take a DC-8 through space to the Galactic Empire, then a left turn at Psychiatrist's Row. Can't miss it.

yea, I've been there. They clone Tom Cruise's flesh and make it into burgers.

It's a weird place.

Gillianren
2007-Jun-23, 09:30 PM
Does anyone else remember the furor when Oprah shut down her book club with a claim that there were no books out there worth reading? When she reopened it, she put John Steinbeck back on the best-sellers' list again. I can forgive a certain amount for bringing him to people's attention, though I can't fathom why you'd need Oprah to tell you what to read. Still, better Oprah than Martha.

Noclevername
2007-Jun-23, 10:06 PM
Does anyone else remember the furor when Oprah shut down her book club with a claim that there were no books out there worth reading?

Neeeever heard of it. The only Oprah furor I couldn't avoid hearing about was the one where she said Mad Cow Disease made her scared to eat beef, and a bunch of ranchers got all up in arms about it. Now, that's just ridiculous, blaming a talk show host for declining sales during a beef plague scare!

Noclevername
2007-Jun-23, 10:13 PM
On a side note, I think it's absolutely ludicrous for "Dr." (nonpracticing) Phil to be hawking diet products. "Yes, now you too can have a body like Dr. Phil!"

antoniseb
2007-Jun-24, 12:24 AM
I think we'd like to keep the small medium at large section for SciFi and Space and Astronomy stories. I'm moving this thread to off-topic babbling.

Delvo
2007-Jun-24, 03:03 AM
That wishful-thinking thing doesn't sound like her. Certainly she'd tell people that it's important to keep a positive attitude when trying to do something and it's a key to success, but the leap from that practical advice to disregarding OTHER keys to success is a pretty long leap, and she's not into superstitious mumbo-jumbo in general.

Gillianren
2007-Jun-24, 03:07 AM
On a side note, I think it's absolutely ludicrous for "Dr." (nonpracticing) Phil to be hawking diet products. "Yes, now you too can have a body like Dr. Phil!"

I wouldn't take psychological advice from him, either.

Noclevername
2007-Jun-24, 03:39 AM
I wouldn't take psychological advice from him, either.

That's okay, he doesn't give any. :lol:

Maksutov
2007-Jun-24, 04:49 AM

Dale in AlaThe exact Mencken quote is
No one in this world has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby. But you got the gist of it. :)

Here's another great one
It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. Re the show in the OP, I'm proud to say I've never seen it nor do I have any intention ever to see it.

novaderrik
2007-Jun-24, 05:06 AM
I think we'd like to keep the small medium at large section for SciFi and Space and Astronomy stories. I'm moving this thread to off-topic babbling.
well, since most of what's on the Oprah show can be catagorized as "fiction"- with a little pseudo science thrown in for good measure- then it can maybe go in the small media at large section.. or isn't "pseudo science fiction" allowed?

Paracelsus
2007-Jun-24, 12:09 PM
Speaking of the Oprah show, check this out: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070623/ap_en_ot/books_the_secret.

While "The Secret" has become a pop culture phenomenon, it also has drawn critics who are not quiet about labeling the movement a fad, embarrassingly materialistic or the latest example of an American propensity of wanting something for nothing.

Some medical professionals suggest it could even lead to a blame-the-victim mentality and actually be dangerous to those suffering from serious illness or mental disorders.

Will Oprah now issue a retraction? It would seem prudent to do so.

Damien Evans
2007-Jun-24, 12:27 PM
That wishful-thinking thing doesn't sound like her. Certainly she'd tell people that it's important to keep a positive attitude when trying to do something and it's a key to success, but the leap from that practical advice to disregarding OTHER keys to success is a pretty long leap, and she's not into superstitious mumbo-jumbo in general.

really?

You must be watching a different Oprah show than the ones i've seen

Noclevername
2007-Jun-24, 10:31 PM
Will Oprah now issue a retraction? It would seem prudent to do so.

She'll ride that horse as long as it's popular, then go on the attack against "The Secret" and say she was "tricked" into promoting it. She's done it before; Why change a pattern that works?

Noclevername
2007-Jun-25, 01:56 AM
Speaking of the Oprah show, check this out: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070623/ap_en_ot/books_the_secret.

!

I was skimming the article and this gem hit me:
And during times in which massive number of lives were lost, the book says, the "frequency of their thoughts matched the frequency of the event."

Well, let's see, Black Plague, mm-hm, world wars, yeah, ethnic cleansing...

Why can't those people just keep positive thoughts during hard times? Clearly, it's all their own fault for being negative! "Oh, my parents died before my eyes", wah wah wah!

:boohoo:

Len Deighton
2007-Jun-25, 02:01 AM
!

I was skimming the article and this gem hit me:

Well, let's see, Black Plague, mm-hm, world wars, yeah, ethnic cleansing...

Yes, I think the book might have gotten the causality the wrong way around there.

Noclevername
2007-Jun-25, 02:04 AM
The woman with long, dark hair looks yearningly at the gold necklace in the window of a jewelry store. She fixates on the bling. There's some kind of disruption in the atmosphere. And then, the necklace is draped around her neck.

Spooky action at a distance! And they caught it on film, too.

They missed the part where the mall security guards magically materialized around her for magically lifting the necklace.

Noclevername
2007-Jun-25, 02:12 AM
So "The Secret" is like the Underpants Gnomes business plan?

STEP ONE: Want something.

STEP TWO: ???

STEP THREE: Profit!

Damien Evans
2007-Jun-25, 08:06 AM
So "The Secret" is like the Underpants Gnomes business plan?

STEP ONE: Want something.

STEP TWO: ???

STEP THREE: Profit!

Pretty much

One of the main proponents of the secret has since been exposed as a conman in Australia, and there have also been claims that the whole book was plaigarised anyway

Noclevername
2007-Jun-25, 08:13 AM
One of the main proponents of the secret has since been exposed as a conman in Australia, and there have also been claims that the whole book was plaigarised anyway

Well, the author admits she got her ideas out of another book:

She said she was struggling personally and professionally several years ago when she was given a nearly 100-year-old book called "The Science of Getting Rich," by Wallace D. Wattles.

No doubt this "nearly 100-year-old book" contained great advice on getting rich through selling buggy whips and shoe spats.:D

P.S., what a great name, Wallace D. Wattles! "The Splendiferous Zeppelin Adventures of Wallace D. Wattles!"

Damien Evans
2007-Jun-25, 08:22 AM
Well, the author admits she got her ideas out of another book:

No doubt this "nearly 100-year-old book" comtained great advice on getting rich through selling buggy whips and shoe spats.:D

P.S., what a great name, Wallace D. Wattles! "The Splendiferous Zeppelin Adventures of Wallace D. Wattles!"

i wasn't talking about that book, i was talking about one (can't remember the name, but it wasn't a very sucessful book) that was published about 5 years before the secret

Noclevername
2007-Jun-25, 08:26 AM
i wasn't talking about that book, i was talking about one (can't remember the name, but it wasn't a very sucessful book) that was published about 5 years before the secret

I'm sure you could find endless reams of self-help books peddling the same basic non-message.

Gillianren
2007-Jun-25, 09:52 AM

I'd never give one to a kid today, but there's a delightful sound to 19th Century names, isn't there? "George W. Bush" or "Bill Clinton" just isn't as euphonius as "Rutherford B. Hayes" or "Millard Fillmore."

farmerjumperdon
2007-Jun-25, 01:47 PM
what book did she tell you to read, and what diet did she tell you to go on?

That would depend on what day of the week it is, and where she is at in her own personal yo-yo cycle.

farmerjumperdon
2007-Jun-25, 02:02 PM
Does anyone else remember the furor when Oprah shut down her book club with a claim that there were no books out there worth reading? When she reopened it, she put John Steinbeck back on the best-sellers' list again. I can forgive a certain amount for bringing him to people's attention, though I can't fathom why you'd need Oprah to tell you what to read. Still, better Oprah than Martha.

Because 9 out of 10 humans are mindless drones 90% of the time. The other one engages thoughtfully with the rest of the world 90% of the time. It is work to be the one, it is easy to be one of the nine. These proportions are just my personal observation and speak volumes to me about our society.

p.s. - A furor? The fact that a person whose celebrity is based on feel-good TV programming could cause a furor speaks even more about the huddled masses. It oocurs to me that the bulk of humans spend most of their time waiting to be told what to do next.

p.p.s. - If you ran a magazine, what are the chances you would plaster your own mug on every single monthly cover? What kind of incredibly over-the-top ego issues must this person have? I'd love to have a real peek into her closet of skeletons.

Moose
2007-Jun-25, 02:25 PM
Mmm. Oprah has really been irritating my darkside over the past few years. She has built up a huge amount of influence. More influence than any one person should ever have (which has been historically shown time and again to inevitably end up being a Profoundly Bad Thing[tm])

I grant she's responsible enough to not use it maliciously (although I can name a few incidents that have been quite petty). But, she does not use it responsibly. Even the misunderstood appearance of an endorsement (or lack thereof) on her part can cause measurable tremors on national economies. (I'm thinking the beef thing, which should have been a big wake-up call for her. She learned nothing from it.)

What's damaging my calm is that my mother has been making noises like an Oprah-Zombie over the last five years or so. My mother is gullible. Oprah is credulous. She'll buy into anything at all so long as it's unscientific and sounds spiritual. And my mother will parrot it. And she won't listen to me even when I demonstrate the science. If my mother has a personal god and savior, it's name is Oprah. Like all mothers do, she's spent half her life (and nearly all of mine) tuning me out. What conscientious son could possibly function under those circumstances?

There are only three people in my life of whom I'm protective. And I'm talking adrenaline-fueled rampaging-bear protective. My mother is one of them. (My last surviving grandmother and my new goddaughter are the other two.)

I am profoundly unhappy (in the borderline-enraged sense) that Oprah has her woo-claws embedded in my mother's life.

Disinfo Agent
2007-Jun-25, 02:53 PM

Dale in AlaSuntrack is not American. If the choice is between comercials and Oprah, I'll pick Oprah, too.

Saying that Oprah's message is that you just have to wish for things, and they'll happen, seems like a gross distortion and a straw man. Obviously, you have to do something about it. But I think what Oprah realises, and most posters here clearly don't, is that the human mind can create hurdles for itself, and it takes inner strength to overcome that.

Having said this, I have mixed feelings about shows like Oprah's, and especially Dr. Phil's. My biggest objection to them is that I don't like the general idea of exposing one's personal problems in public. It seems a little... I don't know... exploitative? humiliating? self-serving? exhibitionist? Take your pick.

Then again, perhaps it works better than anything else, for some people.

Moose
2007-Jun-25, 03:16 PM
Saying that Oprah's message is that you just have to wish for things, and they'll happen, seems like a gross distortion and a straw man.

You'd be mistaken in that appraisal. She openly endorses "The Secret". "The Secret" advocates precisely that message. It's not a straw man at all if it's literally true.

A brief review of the "The Secret" DVD, as reported by a Swift reader. (http://www.randi.org/jr/2007-02/021607failure.html#i3)

The video is not content, however, to suggest that a good or bad attitude makes you see the world in a better or worse light and leads you indirectly to obtain these things you are thinking about. It's not content to suggest that these waves emanating from our brains are metaphorical. It really suggest that, for example, if you worry that you will be stuck in a traffic jam, the quantum waves from your brain will cause the traffic to jam and make you late. They back up their magical promise with irrelevant ramblings from their Quantum Physicist, and a dramatization of an Aladdin-style Genie a 20-foot-tall black bodybuilder granting our every wish.

I don't know... exploitative? humiliating? self-serving? exhibitionist? Take your pick.

All of the above. I'd add "morally bereft". I sincerely wish I could add "criminal convicted of fraud".

Disinfo Agent
2007-Jun-25, 03:33 PM
You'd be mistaken in that appraisal. She openly endorses "The Secret". "The Secret" advocates precisely that message. It's not a straw man at all if it's literally true.

A brief review of the "The Secret" DVD, as reported by a Swift reader. (http://www.randi.org/jr/2007-02/021607failure.html#i3)I was referring to Oprah's general message, not to the "The Secret". While she may endorse "The Secret" misguidedly, that doesn't mean that her whole life philosophy is contained in it.

Moose
2007-Jun-25, 03:40 PM
I was referring to Oprah's general message, not to the "The Secret". While she may endorse "The Secret" misguidedly, that doesn't mean that her whole life philosophy is contained in it.

She has a life philosophy that doesn't change every month depending on what happens to be trendy and marketable? It doesn't show.

farmerjumperdon
2007-Jun-25, 04:17 PM
I was referring to Oprah's general message, not to the "The Secret". While she may endorse "The Secret" misguidedly, that doesn't mean that her whole life philosophy is contained in it.

Not sure what her life philosophy is, and have no reason to believe it is what she says it is. That is the problem with commercial entertainment. Without a certain level of intimacy, which is completely non-existent in an entertainer/audience member relationship, you can only guess as to what makes her tick. (As mentioned before, the fact that she feels the need to plaster her face everywhere really makes me wonder about what drives her).

She is a marketeer's dream. She is very much flavor of the day, well; maybe flavor of the month. She is an entertainer. Her job is to get and hold viewers, to increase ratings, and sell commercial time. I think people who are taken in by her emotionally forget that. They grant her credibility and accept her wisdom in areas in which she clearly has no authority. Much of her advice is no different than if one of her viewers read a book, liked the content, then went out and insisted everyone read it (and consider it gospel). The biggest difference being that she has learned to market herself (to a very susceptible audience).

Fazor
2007-Jun-25, 06:19 PM
She is a marketeer's dream. She is very much flavor of the day, well; maybe flavor of the month. She is an entertainer. Her job is to get and hold viewers, to increase ratings, and sell commercial time. I think people who are taken in by her emotionally forget that. They grant her credibility and accept her wisdom in areas in which she clearly has no authority. Much of her advice is no different than if one of her viewers read a book, liked the content, then went out and insisted everyone read it (and consider it gospel). The biggest difference being that she has learned to market herself (to a very susceptible audience).
I don't like her, or dislike her. I don't think what she does is immoral or wrong. She's just an entertainer, and she apparently does it very well. The problem is our culture seems to think that if someone's a celebrity, their opinions are more meaningfull than someone who is sans-spotlight. I've made this rant before--but it really bugs me when celebrities try to make this or that political statement and people take it seriously because they are a celebrity.

I have no problem with a person using their position to promote a view; but thier views carry no more weight than yours or mine. I just wish more people would realize that.

Noclevername
2007-Jun-25, 06:29 PM
don't think what she does is immoral or wrong.

What bugs me about her is that she exploits other women's insecurities to make herself rich, and then presents herself to the world as someone who "helps" women. Then gives her audience cars to make them like her. The same with Dr. Phool. He makes money off of other people's personal problems, and in return gives them public humiliation and a few glib, facile comments on how they were stupid and got themselves into trouble.

Gillianren
2007-Jun-25, 06:44 PM
p.s. - A furor? The fact that a person whose celebrity is based on feel-good TV programming could cause a furor speaks even more about the huddled masses. It oocurs to me that the bulk of humans spend most of their time waiting to be told what to do next.

Well, okay--it was a furor in literary circles, actually. There are literally thousands of good books, and Oprah-says-so does indeed carry a lot of weight. So to speak. So all those people who were actually reading because Oprah-says-so heard that there were no books worth reading and didn't, and that does indeed hurt revenue at bookstores. And again, there are thousands of books, with dozens more coming out every year (out of hundreds, of course!) that are worth reading.

p.p.s. - If you ran a magazine, what are the chances you would plaster your own mug on every single monthly cover? What kind of incredibly over-the-top ego issues must this person have? I'd love to have a real peek into her closet of skeletons.

Well, I wouldn't, but I have self-esteem issues. So there we are, I suppose.

But Oprah doesn't bother me half so much as "Dr." Phil. What he does is morally reprehensible. I can't watch his show, because he ought to be sued for malpractice. You can't cure someone's deep-seated psychological problems by yelling at them. It takes more than five minutes to help someone. His solutions are simplistic and more than a little wrong most of the time. And, yes, someone should actually be in their own ideal weight range before they yell at other people to lose weight and claim there's no excuse not to.

Doodler
2007-Jun-25, 07:13 PM

She's an evangelist for post-modernism.

Fazor
2007-Jun-25, 07:28 PM
Conveniently enough here's an article on "The Secret" (http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/books/06/25/books.thesecret.ap/index.html) from CNN today. I've heard of the power of positive thinking, but this is just stupid. We all think that stuff like this is a bunch of bunk yet it's still here. There's proof that what's proclaimed in this book doesn't work anyway ;)

Noclevername
2007-Jun-26, 12:23 AM
A brief review of the "The Secret" DVD, as reported by a Swift reader. (http://www.randi.org/jr/2007-02/021607failure.html#i3)

They back up their magical promise with irrelevant ramblings from their Quantum Physicist, and a dramatization of an Aladdin-style Genie – a 20-foot-tall black bodybuilder – granting our every wish.

Oh, that's hilarious. A genie! The only thing that could possibly be funnier would be if the "scientist" and the genie were played by the same actor. The genie of Quantum Physics. :lol::lol::lol:

There's just so much to mock about it!

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Jun-26, 01:32 AM
The genie of Quantum Physics.

:wall::wall::wall::wall:

Noclevername
2007-Jun-26, 04:06 AM
It's yet another of those "you-have-to-laugh-to-keep-from-screaming-your-head-off-in-horror-at-how-stupid-people-are" things I seem to run into six or eight times a week.

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Jun-26, 04:23 AM
It's yet another of those "you-have-to-laugh-to-keep-from-screaming-your-head-off-in-horror-at-how-stupid-people-are" things I seem to run into six or eight times a week.
Double the amount of a times week for me.

Gillianren
2007-Jun-26, 07:28 AM

You seem to have spelled "day" wrong.

novaderrik
2007-Jun-26, 07:56 AM
anyone else here read "the Dilbert Future"?
well, i think it was in that one..
anyways, in one of his books, Scott Adams spends a chapter talking about "visualization" or something like that. it has the same effect as "the Secret"- if you think about it enough, you get it. it made for an interesting chapter, and in my experiments, it doesn't work. but it does focus the mind on something, and kind of forces you to go out and try to get it.
so how come Scott Adams hasn't been on the Oprah show?

Noclevername
2007-Jun-26, 03:13 PM
anyone else here read "the Dilbert Future"?
well, i think it was in that one..
anyways, in one of his books, Scott Adams spends a chapter talking about "visualization" or something like that. it has the same effect as "the Secret"- if you think about it enough, you get it. it made for an interesting chapter, and in my experiments, it doesn't work. but it does focus the mind on something, and kind of forces you to go out and try to get it.
so how come Scott Adams hasn't been on the Oprah show?

He didn't want it badly enough, of course.

Doodler
2007-Jun-26, 03:55 PM
What conscientious son could possibly function under those circumstances?

Physically smack her upside the head if you have to. Or just leave her to the fate she's chosen.