PDA

View Full Version : Best and worst of science fiction films on and under the sea

Doctor Know
2007-Jun-24, 11:15 PM
Since so many science fiction films have been set in the briney deep as well as the vast reaches of outer space I thought I'd compile a list of favorites and non-favorites. Sadly, there have been a lot of sinkers in this particular sub-genre.

Favorites

The Abyss--Not one of Cameron's best, but certainly eye-catching and thought-provoking at times. Probably the best depiction to date of water-breathing aliens.

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea (1954) --Takes a lot of liberties with Verne's novel but the basics are there. Great special effects for the time.

The Day Of The Dolphin-- Probably more political thriller than science fiction, but the science is getting closer to non-fiction every day.

Non-Favorites

Waterworld-- Dennis Hopper's performance was the only redeeming feature of this waterbomb. Bad oceanography everywhere.

Virus-- Just plain goofy shipwreck of a movie. Can't believe Jamie Lee Curtis signed up for this cruise to box-office obscurity.

Deep Rising-- Luxury cruise ship on maiden voyage attacked by giant fanged, squid-like creatures and jewel thieves at the same time. Just hit an iceberg next time.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jun-24, 11:18 PM
The Abyss - best.

JonClarke
2007-Jun-24, 11:24 PM
Abyss is gorgeous. I especially liked the fact that all the human hardware was real. It's a pity that the would not had the crew squeaking from breathing helox, but I guess some concessions have to be made for intelligibility.

Jon

Noclevername
2007-Jun-25, 12:22 AM
Does a TV series count? Then I nominate Seaquest as a weak underwater show. It didn't just jump the shark, it swam under it.

Lianachan
2007-Jun-25, 12:29 AM
The worst aquatic film of all time is:

The Evil Beneath Loch Ness (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0256155/)

I recommend it wholeheartedly, it's hilarious. Not just for us highlanders, either.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jun-25, 12:51 AM
Voyage to the Bottom of The Sea - pretty awful. Especially the premise of the Van Allen belts catching fire. :lol:

Doctor Know
2007-Jun-25, 01:04 AM
Voyage to the Bottom of The Sea - pretty awful. Especially the premise of the Van Allen belts catching fire. :lol:

And eventually gave us the Irwin Allen TV series of the same name. Flying subs anyone? ;)

Does a TV series count? Then I nominate Seaquest as a weak underwater show. It didn't just jump the shark, it swam under it.

Oh..yeah...that counts. Roy Schreider probably wished that Jaws had finished him off years before starring in that. :D

Doctor Know
2007-Jun-25, 01:07 AM
The worst aquatic film of all time is:

The Evil Beneath Loch Ness (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0256155/)

I recommend it wholeheartedly, it's hilarious. Not just for us highlanders, either.

Was just reading your link...

sight of Patrick Bergin rigged out in kilt and Braveheart-style war-paint, going out to battle the monster armed with a harpoon is one that will linger long in my memory (unfortunately).

That does sound more frightening than any sea beastie. :D

Lianachan
2007-Jun-25, 01:13 AM
That does sound more frightening than any sea beastie. :D

It sure is. I tried to submit a review at IMDB that just said "No", but apparently that was too short. Pity, it was a perfect review.

Ilya
2007-Jun-25, 01:13 AM

Seaquest had all the faults of Star Trek - Next Gen, without any of the redeemeing features. "Insipid" is the word that comes to mind.

SkepticJ
2007-Jun-25, 01:33 AM

I think the first season was decent. It did jump the shark after that.

Noclevername
2007-Jun-25, 01:33 AM
Seaquest had all the faults of Star Trek - Next Gen, without any of the redeemeing features. "Insipid" is the word that comes to mind.

Exactly.

The second season opener:sick:, where they introduced all the new and unoriginal characters:sick:, was the worst:sick::sick:.

Let's see, the weakest character was the lady who combined the worst aspects of TNG's female characters; she was both the hot doctor who was the Captain's unrequited love interest, and the psychic who could only sense the incredibly obvious. I swear, the first scene she was in, when someone on the viewscreen was lying so clearly that a four-year-old could see it, she actually had to say with a straight face the all-too-often-repeated line made famous by Counselor Troi: "I sense he's hiding something, Captain!"

I was on the floor laughing. Literally.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jun-25, 01:38 AM
the psychic who could only sense the incredibly obvious. I swear, the first scene she was in, when someone on the viewscreen was lying so clearly that a four-year-old could see it, she actually had to say with a straight face the all-too-often-repeated line made famous by Counselor Troi: "I sense he's hiding something, Captain!"

I was on the floor laughing. Literally.

Sort of like the dark-haired marionette in Team America: World Police?

Noclevername
2007-Jun-25, 01:45 AM
Sort of like the dark-haired marionette in Team America: World Police?

I didn't know there was a marionette on the floor laughing in that film.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jun-25, 01:50 AM
I didn't know there was a marionette on the floor laughing in that film.

Ah, ya knuckle-headed Hoosier! (Is that an ad hom? :) )

Doctor Know
2007-Jun-25, 01:50 AM
That show lost me during the pilot episode. Casting ex-Charlie's Angel Shelly Hack as the evil submarine captain nemesis to Roy Scheider's character was laughable. Plus, giving the adorable dolphin the run (or swim) of the ship was asking the series to die of terminal cuteness.

Noclevername
2007-Jun-25, 01:59 AM
Plus, giving the adorable dolphin the run (or swim) of the ship was asking the series to die of terminal cuteness.

:eek: Nothing "cute" about that fishbait! Made want to run out and buy canned tuna, on the off chance they'd net him! :mad:

Noclevername
2007-Jun-25, 02:25 AM
Ah, ya knuckle-headed Hoosier! (Is that an ad hom? :) )

I'm a temporarily misplaced New England Yankee. :)

ADDED: But "knuckle-headed" is definitely an ad hom. Mods, ban him immediately.

Lord Jubjub
2007-Jun-25, 02:29 AM
Titanic was a fascinating disaster movie wrapped around a predictable romance

Noclevername
2007-Jun-25, 02:36 AM
I've seen far too many bad fish-monster movies to recall. They were everywhere in the '80s.

Worst ever underwater film? "Hello Down There", 1969, so-called "comedy", Tony Randall tries to move his family into an experimental undersea home.

The shining moment of pure badness was the musical segment of Richard Dreyfuss singing a song called "Glub, Glub, Glub".

I kid you not.

Doctor Know
2007-Jun-25, 02:47 AM
Worst ever underwater film? "Hello Down There", 1969, so-called "comedy", Tony Randall tries to move his family into an experimental undersea home.

The shining moment of pure badness was the musical segment of Richard Dreyfuss singing a song called "Glub, Glub, Glub".

I kid you not.

Holy cowfish...I have a vague memory of having seen that on TV as a kid. I think it was about that same time I had to suffer through seeing Don Knotts play a cartoon fish in The Incredible Mr. Limpet :eek:

Noclevername
2007-Jun-25, 02:54 AM
Holy cowfish...I have a vague memory of having seen that on TV as a kid. I think it was about that same time I had to suffer through seeing Don Knotts play a cartoon fish in The Incredible Mr. Limpet :eek:

That's when I saw it too. They called it a "bubble feature" or some such nonsense. :rolleyes:

Doctor Know
2007-Jun-25, 02:58 AM
Here's another one for the bad list. The Final Countdown. Kirk Douglas is the captain of the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Nimitz. While on manuvers off Hawaii, the Nimitz is yanked through some sort of cheesey-looking wormhole...to...you guessed it. December 6th, 1941. In perfect position to intercept the Japanese carrier fleet as it prepares for it's infamous strike on the US Pacific fleet anchored at Pearl Harbor.

If a random wormhole were to pop up in the Pacific....what are the odds it would conviently send you straight back to a pivotal turning point in history? Why wouldn't it just drop you in the 12th century, or in the Gobi Desert, or another solar system? All I can figure is that apparently the Nimitz is powered by some variant of the Infinite Improbability Drive.

Noclevername
2007-Jun-25, 03:06 AM
How about The Philadelphia Experiment? Instead of a B-movie, it was a CT-movie.

SkepticJ
2007-Jun-25, 04:57 AM
The remake of The Poseidon Adventure: Poseidon. Couldn't be more cliché and bad acting filled. Bad, bad, bad.

Gillianren
2007-Jun-25, 05:39 AM
My favorite is the classic 1954 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. You've got to love how Disney can get anyone to sing.

For bad? The 1997 made-for-TV 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, with Paul Gross. I love Paul Gross in obsessive and weird ways, but this was bad!

SkepticJ
2007-Jun-25, 05:47 AM
My favorite is the classic 1954 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

Seconded.

The Hunt for Red October belongs in the good category.

Gillianren
2007-Jun-25, 07:05 AM
The Hunt for Red October belongs in the good category.

I don't think of it as sci-fi, personally.

Damien Evans
2007-Jun-25, 08:19 AM
I don't think of it as sci-fi, personally.

nor do I, but I do think it is a good movie

Tog
2007-Jun-25, 09:19 AM
Hunt for Red October was really good, but it could have been so much better if they would have just not shown the Russian captain's plan until the "talk" through the Periscopes. It was like an episode of Columbo. You saw the killer do it in the open scene, after that it's just 75 minutes of Peter Falk looking for his notebook before explaining that he'd solved the case when he walked into the room the first time.

If we were going to see the plan from the start, then there should have more of the intrigue on the Red October to keep the plan secret.

Gillianren
2007-Jun-25, 09:54 AM
It was like an episode of Columbo. You saw the killer do it in the open scene, after that it's just 75 minutes of Peter Falk looking for his notebook before explaining that he'd solved the case when he walked into the room the first time.

Aw. I like those episodes. (Not all episodes gave away the murderer at the beginning. But if you recognized them from somewhere else, they probably did it.)

Ilya
2007-Jun-25, 12:47 PM
I noticed by now people had mentioned a lot of bad marine SF movies, but only two good ones. Unfortunately, I can not think of any others either :(

And yes, The Abyss is one of my all-time favorites.

Trantor
2007-Jun-25, 02:23 PM
How about "The Atomic Submarine". This was a pretty low budget 1950's underwater super advanced navy submarine(called the Tigershark) vs. alien flying saucer adventure. The FX was pretty horrible. I remember liking this movie as a kid; I thought that the one eyed alien cylops was pretty cool at the time. Overall, a pretty bad, but still enjoyable movie. If you like 1950's sci-fi movies, check this one out.

Favorite line from the movie:

Alien Cylops - "So, we finally meet, face to face"
Captain of the Tigershark - "You call that a face!"

Noclevername
2007-Jun-25, 05:42 PM
I noticed by now people had mentioned a lot of bad marine SF movies, but only two good ones. Unfortunately, I can not think of any others either :(

Sturgeon's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon%27s_law).

stutefish
2007-Jun-25, 05:49 PM
Hunt for Red October features the "caterpillar drive", and therefore qualifies as "science fiction", as far as I'm concerned.

Question: Is Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home a good SF movie or a bad one?

Swift
2007-Jun-25, 05:51 PM
Sturgeon's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon%27s_law).
In this case, I assume it would be this type of sturgeon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon). :shifty:

Roy Batty
2007-Jun-25, 05:59 PM
Sphere. Blurghh! Nuff said.

Noclevername
2007-Jun-25, 06:08 PM
Question: Is Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home a good SF movie or a bad one?

Although it's inexplicably popular, I thought it was just an excuse to have a string of running jokes. Lame.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jun-25, 06:18 PM
Although it's inexplicably popular, I thought it was just an excuse to have a string of running jokes. Lame.

Yes. A few very good laughs. No Enterprise. No substance. Bad science.

Noclevername
2007-Jun-25, 06:32 PM
Does The Little Mermaid count as sci-fi? It's got nonhuman sentient species, first contact, body modifications... ;)

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jun-25, 06:47 PM
Does The Little Mermaid count as sci-fi? It's got nonhuman sentient species, first contact, body modifications... ;)

And it's HOT too! (Oh damn, I'm going to Hell for sure now :) ).

Larry Jacks
2007-Jun-25, 07:01 PM
Flying subs anyone?

Believe it or not, there has been actual work on the idea, as shown here (http://www.waterufo.net/flyingsubs/NavyFlyingSubHtml1.htm). I had an opportunity to read some old issues of "Aviation Week & Space Technology" magazine from the early to mid 1960s. There were a few articles on the subject.

As far as ocean based sci-fi movies go, the best I can think of is "The Abyss". I can't think of too many others.

Noclevername
2007-Jun-25, 07:02 PM
And it's HOT too! (Oh damn, I'm going to Hell for sure now :) ).

Dude, WAY TOO MUCH INFORMATION.

At least now we know that "Tuscon Tim" is really Troy McClure.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jun-25, 07:06 PM
Dude, WAY TOO MUCH INFORMATION.

At least now we know that "Tuscon Tim" is really Troy McClure.

I had to Google that name - never saw an episode of The Simpsons - sorry.

What can I say - I also like the Deunan character in Appleseed. :whistle:

One Skunk Todd
2007-Jun-25, 08:14 PM
I used to remember being scared by The Creature from the Black Lagoon when I was kid, then later thinking it was just cheesy. It's been so long since I've seen it that I can't really remember the plot, just a lot of underwater scenes of the creature menacing swimmers. Not sure if I would categorize as bad, good, or bad but fun.

Click Ticker
2007-Jun-25, 08:42 PM
Here's another one for the bad list. The Final Countdown. Kirk Douglas is the captain of the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Nimitz. While on manuvers off Hawaii, the Nimitz is yanked through some sort of cheesey-looking wormhole...to...you guessed it. December 6th, 1941. In perfect position to intercept the Japanese carrier fleet as it prepares for it's infamous strike on the US Pacific fleet anchored at Pearl Harbor.

If a random wormhole were to pop up in the Pacific....what are the odds it would conviently send you straight back to a pivotal turning point in history? Why wouldn't it just drop you in the 12th century, or in the Gobi Desert, or another solar system? All I can figure is that apparently the Nimitz is powered by some variant of the Infinite Improbability Drive.

That wasn't that bad. It wasn't so much about the wormhole as the age old concept of altering history. If you have the chance to stop the invasion of Pearl Harbor, do you do it? Granted, it's been a longe time since I saw it - but I remember sticking with it till the end. Of course, I'm a nerd.

Doctor Know
2007-Jun-26, 01:18 AM
That wasn't that bad. It wasn't so much about the wormhole as the age old concept of altering history. If you have the chance to stop the invasion of Pearl Harbor, do you do it? Granted, it's been a longe time since I saw it - but I remember sticking with it till the end. Of course, I'm a nerd.

I suppose you do have a point. If the Nimitz ends up in the 12th century Pacific there isn't much more than a few Polynesians to take notice. :)

Disney's 2001 animated film, Atlantis, The Lost Empire, wasn't too bad. But it wasn't one of their better efforts either. I found the concept of a bunch of misfit archeologists setting out to find Atlantis kinda fun in the beginning but it sorta went downhill from there. It did have some exceptional voice talents. Michael J. Fox, James Garner and Leonard Nimoy among others.

All in all this genre seems to be mostly dominated by bad sea monster movies.

You got that right. :D

Jim
2007-Jun-26, 01:49 AM

If it does, I'm nominating Finding Nemo.

Black Lagoon was unique for its time because the Creature was portrayed as a sympathetic character, not a blood-thirsty monster. It seems cheesy now because of its age, but it was a good movie.

Attack of the Crab Monsters (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050147/) now...

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jun-26, 01:57 AM
I used to remember being scared by The Creature from the Black Lagoon when I was kid, then later thinking it was just cheesy. It's been so long since I've seen it that I can't really remember the plot, just a lot of underwater scenes of the creature menacing swimmers. Not sure if I would categorize as bad, good, or bad but fun.

I haven't seen the first movie in many years but for a good laugh you have to see the MST3K sendup of the sequel, Revenge of the Creature. "I want Joe Frazier!". :)

Gas Giant
2007-Jun-26, 01:07 PM
Flying subs anyone?
There's always Skydiver (http://members.fortunecity.com/wendhausen/BRStarshipsv3/profile/ufo/ships/skydiver/skydiver4.jpg) from Gerry Anderson's UFO...

ggremlin
2007-Jun-26, 01:49 PM
The worst seasick saga for me was "Raise the Titanic!", based on the book by Clive Cussler. I can't wait to see the movie version thinking, I was young then, that they just follow the book and it would be the greatest movie ever made. The movie stank, I mean sank, faster than the original ship.

For good undersea movies, I would recommend, "Goliath Awaits". A luxury liner, torpedoed and sunk at the start of WWII, is found and somehow against impossible odds still has survivors.

For those of you who will be in therapy because of a cartoon movie, please rent "Splash" with Tom Hanks and Daryl Hannah. :)

SeanF
2007-Jun-26, 02:33 PM
Deep Rising-- Luxury cruise ship on maiden voyage attacked by giant fanged, squid-like creatures and jewel thieves at the same time. Just hit an iceberg next time.
Oh, come one! Deep Rising was a fun movie, in the same vein as The Mummy (coincidence? Nah) - It didn't take itself too seriously. :)

I suppose Lake Placid doesn't qualify as sci-fi...?

EDIT: Ooh, how about Deep Blue Sea, with genetically modified intelligent sharks...that can swim backwards!

Tog
2007-Jun-26, 03:16 PM
EDIT: Ooh, how about Deep Blue Sea, with genetically modified intelligent sharks...that can swim backwards!

Semi-Spoiler

There was a speech in that one that ends with what will forever be on my great-moments-in-film list. The gf was eating cheese and I Almost got stabbed with the little forked tip cheese knife. If you've seen it, you know what it is.;)

SeanF
2007-Jun-26, 03:17 PM
There was a speech in that one that ends with what will forever be on my great-moments-in-film list. The gf was eating cheese and I Almost got stabbed with the little forked tip cheese knife. If you've seen it, you know what it is.;)
Indeed, I do. :)

Noclevername
2007-Jun-26, 03:51 PM
Ooh, how about Deep Blue Sea, with genetically modified intelligent sharks...that can swim backwards!

We hope you'll all go see: TINFINS!

The preceding was brought to you by Grizzlebee's.

Paul Beardsley
2007-Jun-26, 06:36 PM
The Pathetic Sharks.

Doctor Know
2007-Jun-27, 12:59 AM
For good undersea movies, I would recommend, "Goliath Awaits". A luxury liner, torpedoed and sunk at the start of WWII, is found and somehow against impossible odds still has survivors

Good find. I do remember that one. Christopher Lee rigs up some sort of oxygen-recycling apparatus as the giant ship Goliath sinks allowing some of the crew and passengers to survive trapped between some decks and watertight bulkheads, and trapped in the 1940s as well. Interesting premise at the very least. I seem to recall it was originally a TV mini-series.

Oh, come one! Deep Rising was a fun movie, in the same vein as The Mummy (coincidence? Nah) - It didn't take itself too seriously. Actually I tend to be rather fond of bad sci-fi movies. Sometimes the bad movies are more fun. Gotta admit the sniveling shipowner villian in that movie is a hoot to watch. :D

SkepticJ
2007-Jun-27, 04:16 AM
Hunt for Red October features the "caterpillar drive", and therefore qualifies as "science fiction", as far as I'm concerned.

Strangely enough, that's firmly rooted in real science. Called magnetohydrodynamic drives. Try saying that five times fast.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetohydrodynamic_drive

Ronald Brak
2007-Jun-27, 04:43 AM

I considered if Red October was science fiction and I came to the conclusion, "not really," because although they had an advanced new submarine drive it wasn't required for the plot. All that was required was for the Russian submarine to be quiet and it could have achieved this using more conventional technology similar to the U.S. Orion class submarines.

Of course this is all just a matter of opinion, but I would call it a techno-thriller, that is it borrows from or is similar to science fiction without actually being what I would personally call science fiction.

Swift
2007-Jun-27, 01:32 PM
<snip>
Of course this is all just a matter of opinion, but I would call it a techno-thriller, that is it borrows from or is similar to science fiction without actually being what I would personally call science fiction.
I would agree with calling Red October a techno-thriller, not science fiction. But then most of the movies Hollywood puts out and calls "science fiction" aren't what I would call science fiction. ;)

mike alexander
2007-Jun-28, 09:44 PM
Does "Fantastic Voyage" count?

Most of the teenage boys came out of the theater wishing they were antibodies.

Doctor Know
2007-Jun-29, 12:46 AM
Does "Fantastic Voyage" count?.

That's a good question. Does take place aboard a submarine for the most part. Plus, it's a decent movie which this genre is short of. Okay it counts. Of course that probably means I have to accept that other miniature submarine movie Inner Space with the annoying Martin Short. (However, it did have the lovely Meg Ryan though.)

Yes...there are antibodies....and then there's Raquel Welch. :D

SkepticJ
2007-Jun-29, 01:25 AM
A lot of the James Bond film The Spy Who Loved Me takes place on and underwater, and it's pretty sci-fi. As to if it's a good movie or not, I personally find it to be one of the worst Bond films. Not a big fan of most of the Roger Moore Bond films; too cheesy.

Doctor Know
2007-Jun-29, 01:47 AM
A lot of the James Bond film The Spy Who Loved Me takes place on and underwater, and it's pretty sci-fi. As to if it's a good movie or not, I personally find it to be one of the worst Bond films. Not a big fan of most of the Roger Moore Bond films; too cheesy.

For me, the low point of the Bond movies was Moonraker. You could tell they were blatantly trying to ride the coat tails of recent sci-fi hits like Star Wars and Close Encounters with the overblown space station bit.

Roger Moore lost all remaining dignity when they made him dress up in a circus clown outfit for Octopussy. Never wanted Sean Connery back so bad. :D

peter eldergill
2007-Jun-29, 01:52 AM
Didn't read the entire thread, but did anyone mention "Leviathan"? Underwater monster flick, pretty bad

Also, how about the atrocity "Sphere" ..does that one count? "I know how to fix all our problems, let's just pretend the ship doesn't exist!!"

Pete

SkepticJ
2007-Jun-29, 01:55 AM
Didn't read the entire thread, but did anyone mention "Leviathan"? Underwater monster flick, pretty bad.

Rip off of Alien, too

Ilya
2007-Jun-29, 01:57 AM
Rip off of Alien, too

Is that the one whose ad poster said "Under water, no one can hear you scream"?

Doctor Know
2007-Jun-29, 01:58 AM
We did mention Sphere. Roy summed it up well.

Had a lot of talent and potential with Dustin Hoffman and Samuel Jackson. Like everybody I hated the ending. I don't think Levithan has been mentioned yet.

There was another dreadful one called Deep Star Six which was similar.

Maksutov
2007-Jun-29, 11:19 AM
For me, the low point of the Bond movies was Moonraker. You could tell they were blatantly trying to ride the coat tails of recent sci-fi hits like Star Wars and Close Encounters with the overblown space station bit....Speaking of overblown, how about when the space station blows up (while in orbit) and chunks start falling off as if they're in a 1 G field at the Earth's surface (maybe in a miniature set)?

Shades of 2010.

3rdvogon
2007-Jun-29, 11:26 AM
Well I have not seen anything I would call a decent underwater SciFi film.

There have been good things on screen involving submarines most notably "Das Boot" but that is definitely not SciFi.

If however you are going to include "Hunt for Red October" and "The Spy Who Loved Me" then you have to Include "Ice Station Zebra".

WHarris
2007-Jun-29, 11:33 AM
I think the first season was decent. It did jump the shark after that.

Seaquest recovered a bit in the third season, but not enough to salvage the show.

Maksutov
2007-Jun-29, 11:39 AM

Most of the teenage boys came out of the theater wishing they were antibodies.You mean, like these?

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/3815/anitbodiesth2.th.jpg (http://img101.imageshack.us/my.php?image=anitbodiesth2.jpg)

Here's the real reason RW was in that film:

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/3483/skintight1rn7.th.jpg (http://img253.imageshack.us/my.php?image=skintight1rn7.jpg)

But we already knew that, already.

I had one grunch but the eggplant over there.

SeanF
2007-Jun-29, 02:32 PM

When they first filmed the scene where the other characters pull the antibodies off of her, she ended up with what was described as "a Las Vegas showgirl" look because the actors were all too gentlemanly to grab at her breasts.

When the director pointed out the problem and they went to shoot the scene again, everybody reached for them right off the bat! So he finally had to choreograph who was going to remove which bits when. :)