PDA

View Full Version : The iPhone Cometh

sarongsong
2007-Jun-27, 05:15 AM
"Watson!..."
NY Times David Pogue has been one of the few journalist to actually use the iPhone before the June 29th release...
everythingiPhone (http://www.everythingiphone.com/)
---an independent publication and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Apple Inc.

Maksutov
2007-Jun-27, 06:25 AM
Will it cometh in silver?

sarongsong
2007-Jun-27, 06:51 AM
Rumor has it!
...the iPhone Silver Executive version. It does everything with every feature imaginable and costs $1500 since only 200 will be made...
engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/17/dell-selling-unlocked-high-end-nokia-phones-online/comments/5502088/)

Fazor
2007-Jun-27, 01:57 PM
iPhone looks cool, but I won't be able to afford it. Happy with my Blackberry for now anyway. I don't really do .mp3's or downloadable media. Just IM chat and check my e-mail.

SeanF
2007-Jun-27, 02:07 PM
It's not comething here (http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070627/NEWS/706270315).

Trebuchet
2007-Jun-27, 02:18 PM
At $500-$600 for the device and $100 a month for service, it's not coming to my pocket any time soon either!

And I can't help wondering if Apple has learned anything from the IPod non-replaceable battery fiasco.

The Supreme Canuck
2007-Jun-27, 03:11 PM
I can safely say I will probably never buy one. Ever. Simple as that. All flash and little substance - for a huge premium.

Soup Fan
2007-Jun-27, 04:27 PM
"It's also a hard to use cellphone." (http://youtube.com/watch?v=1xXNoB3t8vM)

NEOWatcher
2007-Jun-27, 04:31 PM
"It's also a hard to use cellphone." (http://youtube.com/watch?v=1xXNoB3t8vM)
Depending on the battery, hand grenade might not be too far fetched. :lol:

tbm
2007-Jun-28, 01:56 AM
Most practical people will have no real use for one. However, there are a LOT of people with a lot more disposable income than brains that will just HAVE to get one.

Steve Jobs ain't an idiot, that's for sure.

tbm

Ronald Brak
2007-Jun-28, 01:59 AM
But is it large enough for me to write people's phone numbers on the back?

Maksutov
2007-Jun-28, 02:31 AM
Will it cometh in silver?
Rumor has it!That's going to be hard to swallow.

Maksutov
2007-Jun-28, 02:34 AM
Most practical people will have no real use for one. However, there are a LOT of people with a lot more disposable income than brains that will just HAVE to get one....Anyone remember the Apple "Newton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Newton)"?

Fazor
2007-Jun-28, 03:59 PM
Anyone remember the Apple "Newton"?

Lol, only from a Simpsons Episode.

Nelson: Kerny, take a memo on your Newton. "Beat Up Martin"
Newton Screen: Eat Up Martha.
Nelson: Aw! [Chucks the Newton at Martin, beaning him in the back of the head]

foreignkid
2007-Jul-02, 03:41 AM
Anyone remember the Apple "Newton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Newton)"?

Can anyone say, Pippin?

Jokes aside, why does everyone hate Apple products so much? In my family, I have scientists, as well as lawyers, who all use Macs, and iPods. The whole "it only looks pretty" argument is ludicrous, as these computers are as good,, if not better than their WinPC counterparts. Apple is a company that has revived from near bankruptcy (don't even mention '97 MacWorld, that's not entirely true) to become a leading computer manufacturer that works FOR the user, instead of AGAINST. As for portable media, I don't think we want to compare a Zune to an iPod. The iPhone is an excellent device, made for people who need it. And, you get what you pay for. You can get similar device, say for $200, but you get a $200 phone, while with the iPhone, you get a $500 phone. And the other device will not only be cheaper, but will be, well... cheap. Market share is another argument that is used against Apple. I have only one question. What would happen if Apple got a larger market share in computing than Microsoft? The world would plunge into economic depression. Millions of people would lose their jobs (TechSupport and such) as a result of better Apple engineering, the world 'round. BUT, after a while, those million people would start doing something other than pointless repairs, not to mention that the whole world would gain many hours from not having to fix computers every other day.

IMO, using Windows is like having to run a marathon with your shoes untied. As hard as you will try, you'll still fall flat on your face eventually. Then you look up, and through a cloud of dust will see a Mac user.

And please, do not make general comments or say anything before you have truly used a Mac. For more than a week.

I'm not trying to generate any hard feelings, nor am I saying that I would buy any Apple device regardless of the alternative. After all, I'm typing from a (personal, not public) Dell.

sarongsong
2007-Jul-02, 04:06 AM
Early Apple was very expen$ive compared to its then competition and never seemed to look back since, altho I do not know today's equivalences.
IBM got the jump on them in the business world, via primarily Gates' DOS, then licensed out the hardware rights which resulted in cut-throat computer pricing between new manufacturers that resulted in even a greater distance from Apple prices. That's my take. :)

foreignkid
2007-Jul-02, 04:17 AM
Early Apple was very expen$ive compared to its then competition and never seemed to look back since, altho I do not know today's equivalences.
IBM got the jump on them in the business world, via primarily Gates' DOS, then licensed out the hardware rights which resulted in cut-throat computer pricing between new manufacturers that resulted in even a greater distance from Apple prices. That's my take. :)

Although I clearly see your point, I was referring more to the post-OSX Apple. The new company. The days of the Performa are gone.

Also, I agree that licensing is the underlying issue. after all:
"If Apple decides to open the Mac OS to others, we would be happy to offer it to our customers" - Michael Dellq

Fat chance.

sarongsong
2007-Jul-02, 04:47 AM
Ergo they remain their own monopoly, complete with whatever prices they choose to charge. PCs prove they needn't be that high, or am I missing something here?
Fortunately for their suppliers (and AT&T with their 5-year exclusive carrier rights), the iPhone's success will spread the wealth around quite a bit.

foreignkid
2007-Jul-02, 05:03 AM
I missing something here?
Yes:
You get what you pay for.

I wouldn't really call Apple a monopoly, yet. The only thing which they have not licensed is OSX. Smart move, IMO. However, I do not agree with their partnership with only AT&T. I think multiple service providers should have access to the iPhone.

Van Rijn
2007-Jul-02, 05:16 AM
Jokes aside, why does everyone hate Apple products so much?

I don't hate Apple, I just don't have much use for it these days. I loved the Apple II. Some years after that, we had a few Macs at work because they had an advantage for graphical work then, but they were eventually phased out as PCs improved. That's the last time I had any reason to use an Apple computer, and I haven't felt a need for their other products.

foreignkid
2007-Jul-02, 05:28 AM
were eventually phased out as PCs improved.
True, but those were the Dark Ages. Again, I'm referring to the post OSX period.

That's the last time I had any reason to use an Apple computer, and I haven't felt a need for their other products.
Because you haven't used it. Suggestion: Test-drive a Mac. Apple has a 30-day program to let people know about their computers. Just do it. I am assuming you are doing graphical work, at which Macs generally outperform anything else. Try it. If you decide to return it, you lost a couple hours or so, getting used to the new computer. If you decide to keep it, you lost your worries. And gained a new life.

I know it sounds like a commercial, but that is really how I feel. This is all based on personal experience.

Van Rijn
2007-Jul-02, 05:43 AM
True, but those were the Dark Ages.

Not to me.

Again, I'm referring to the post OSX period.

And the relevance is? You asked a question and I answered: I don't hate Apple computers, but I have no reason to use them.

Suggestion: Test-drive a Mac. Apple has a 30-day program to let people know about their computers. Just do it. I am assuming you are doing graphical work, at which Macs generally outperform anything else. Try it.

Nope. I mostly do database app. programming.

I know it sounds like a commercial, but that is really how I feel. This is all based on personal experience.

I'm glad you like them. It doesn't change the fact that I don't have any professional or personal reason to use them.

sarongsong
2007-Jul-02, 05:47 AM
...I do not agree with their partnership with only AT&T. I think multiple service providers should have access to the iPhone.Chip Wars have narrowed the field a bit:
June 29, 2007
...Existing models of cell phones containing the [Qualcomm] chips are not affected.
The [ITC] ban affects...Verizon Wireless and Sprint Nextel...LG Electronics and Samsung Electronics...
San Diego Union-Tribune (http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/business/20070629-9999-1b29iphone.html)

foreignkid
2007-Jul-02, 05:48 AM
By "The Dark Ages", I was referring to Apple's, not yours. I apologise for not making it clear.

You said yourself:

we had a few Macs at work because they had an advantage for graphical work then,

Van Rijn: I'm glad you like them. It doesn't change the fact that I don't have any reason to use them.

Me: I'm not trying to generate any hard feelings, nor am I saying that I would buy any Apple device regardless of the alternative. After all, I'm typing from a (personal, not public) Dell.

foreignkid
2007-Jul-02, 05:52 AM
Chip Wars have narrowed the field a bit:

I'm not sure I get it (hey, it's 2am).

sarongsong
2007-Jul-02, 06:04 AM
Long story, even involves P residential Stuff; maybe save it for tomorrow :)
...For starters, says Verizon, the iPhone runs not on AT&T's high-speed network but on its much slower network that is slightly faster than twice the speed of dial-up Internet access...

foreignkid
2007-Jul-02, 06:11 AM
Yes, I'm thinking tomorrow will be a good day.

ZappBrannigan
2007-Jul-02, 06:40 AM
I'm very happy with my iphone so far. Having worked for both Apple and Microsoft, I've caught a glimpse of how they both operate. And I have a Mac on my desk, and I'm typing this on my iphone. I'm a "fanboy" without a doubt, but based on my work experience.

sarongsong
2007-Jul-02, 05:35 PM
Does yours have the 2GB camera?

ZappBrannigan
2007-Jul-02, 05:45 PM
Does yours have the 2GB camera?
I believe the 4-gig and 8-gig models are the same, except for the amount of memory.

I haven't played with the camera much. I'm not sure what to expect from a cell phone camera. The pictures look fine, but I wouldn't use it for serious photography. Having something I can pull out at a moment's notice and take an instamatic-quality shot with is pretty nice. Especially since I keep seeing Bigfoot up on Mulholland Drive. My friend says it's just a guy with a beard, but he's in on the conspiracy.

Oh, also, the iPhone cures cancer. I don't know why they don't promote that more.

Peter Wilson
2007-Jul-02, 06:54 PM
...also, the iPhone cures cancer. I don't know why they don't promote that more.
The age-group they're targeting?

By the way, does the iPhone include a feature to prevent angry voice-mail messages left for your daughtrer from appearing all over the net?

;)

ZappBrannigan
2007-Jul-02, 08:04 PM
By the way, does the iPhone include a feature to prevent angry voice-mail messages left for your daughtrer from appearing all over the net?
Yes (http://video.dotcomedy.com/player/?id=125012). (Caution: not entirely work-safe.)

sarongsong
2007-Jul-03, 01:56 AM
I believe the 4-gig and 8-gig models are the same, except for the amount of memory. I haven't played with the camera much...Oops, I meant to write 2MB camera...

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Jul-03, 02:21 AM
lets see iphone or new computer, lets think about it?
iphone seems likan expensive toy at the moment,

publius
2007-Jul-03, 02:30 AM
When I turned 40 a while back, I knew I was over the hill and would be getting more and more like the things about my father than use to drive me nuts when I was kid. He used to delight in ridiculing whatever new gadgets I was enamored with at the time.

I don't know exactly what an iPhone is, and I don't really care to learn. Whatever it is, I don't want it, and yes, I want to ridicule it. Just like dear old Dad would years ago.

I hate hype now. I know it when I see it, can smell it coming a mile away, and I hate it.

-Richard

Maksutov
2007-Jul-03, 02:53 AM
[edit]Oh, also, the iPhone cures cancer. I don't know why they don't promote that more.Ah, the iPhone, beautiful and deadly -- a potent combination.

Maksutov
2007-Jul-03, 02:55 AM
Question for Gillianren.

If one starts a sentence with "iPhone", does one capitalize the "i"?

foreignkid
2007-Jul-03, 03:10 AM
Question for Gillianren.

If one starts a sentence with "iPhone", does one capitalize the "i"?

I'm not as proficient in the ways of English grammar as Gillianren is, but no, the "i" is not capitalized, as it is a proper noun. I am sure of this because I was intrigued by this myself, and started looking at newspapers and magazines praising and bashing the iPhone. They all have the "i" uncapitalized.

Trebuchet
2007-Jul-03, 03:46 AM
I'm not as proficient in the ways of English grammar as Gillianren is, but no, the "i" is not capitalized, as it is a proper noun. I am sure of this because I was intrigued by this myself, and started looking at newspapers and magazines praising and bashing the iPhone. They all have the "i" uncapitalized.

Not so much a proper noun (which are generally capitalized) as a trademark. The "i" is part of what makes it unique as a trademark.

The sad thing about Apple is that if S. Jobs hadn't been so stuck on selling proprietary overpriced hardware 25 years ago, the superior operating system would be on everyone's desktop today. When I bought my first PC (1985 or 1986 as I recall) I could get a no-name clone for about $1200. A Mac was at least three times that. Since then the prices have equalized (somewhat) but the previous investment in MS compatible hardware and software has prevented switching. A shame, really.

Ronald Brak
2007-Jul-03, 04:17 AM
At least Mac has probably had the effect of preventing the most used platform from being worse.

Trebuchet
2007-Jul-03, 04:26 AM
At least Mac has probably had the effect of preventing the most used platform from being worse.

That's a point I actually hadn't thought of. Thanks to old Steve for at least that much.

Ronald Brak
2007-Jul-03, 04:46 AM
I have no intention of buying an iPhone and I wouldn't even want a free one because of the monthly charges. But I do like the idea of other people paying for advancements that will probably become standed features on cheap devices in the future. So I'd just like to thank all those early adopters out there.

ZappBrannigan
2007-Jul-03, 05:02 AM
I have no intention of buying an iPhone and I wouldn't even want a free one because of the monthly charges
Really? $60 for 450 minutes is too much? I haven't had a cell phone for a while, I admit. But I just went over to the Verizon site and they offered me a basic 450 minute plan for $40. A difference of only $20.

Ah. I just went over to the "Select" plan on Verizon, with unlimited data, and it's $60 for 450 minutes.

So I don't see what's so out of line with the AT&T plan that you wouldn't even take one for free. And that's too bad, because I've secretly vowed to give everyone on BAUT a free iPhone if I win the lottery.

ZappBrannigan
2007-Jul-03, 05:04 AM
That's a point I actually hadn't thought of. Thanks to old Steve for at least that much.
I actually think Old Steve was indeed his company's own worst enemy. New Steve seems to have learned from at least some of his earlier mistakes.

Ronald Brak
2007-Jul-03, 05:11 AM
Really? $60 for 450 minutes is too much? I haven't had a cell phone for a while, I admit. But I just went over to the Verizon site and they offered me a basic 450 minute plan for $40. A difference of only $20.

Ah. I just went over to the "Select" plan on Verizon, with unlimited data, and it's $60 for 450 minutes.

So I don't see what's so out of line with the AT&T plan that you wouldn't even take one for free. And that's too bad, because I've secretly vowed to give everyone on BAUT a free iPhone if I win the lottery.

My phone cost $40 and I spend about $50 on calls a year, so $60 a month is a heck of a lot more than I am currently paying. And I believe that my $40 phone was a rip off because I bought one for $20 in Japan. No, wait, actually the last phone I bought in Japan was only about $10.

sarongsong
2007-Jul-03, 06:12 AM
Not shown online, this provider (http://www.net10.com/purchase_airtime.jsp?task=buyairtime&fromPopup=false) offers 1-yr. cards for $150 in stores and gas stations. :)

ZappBrannigan
2007-Jul-03, 06:46 AM
But how many minutes are you getting for that price?

sarongsong
2007-Jul-03, 08:04 AM
Never stopped to look; just noticed they are among the various card selections available. Somehow got the impression it's unlimited, but will double-check tomorrow.

SeanF
2007-Jul-03, 02:38 PM
But how many minutes are you getting for that price?
That's not necessarily the point - well, it's only part of the point. How many minutes are you using?

If you have an iPhone but you only use 50 minutes a month, then you're paying $60 for 50 minutes.

Ronald, if you don't mind my asking, what provider are you using that you pay only $50 a year? I've got a TracFone, but I don't think they have any service that cheap (in the three years or so that I've had mine, I've used about 50 minutes a month and paid about $14 a month - on average, of course).

farmerjumperdon
2007-Jul-03, 03:00 PM
Another incredibly overpriced gadget that someday too soon so many people will not be able to do without.

Yawn.

Krel
2007-Jul-03, 06:20 PM
What would happen if Apple got a larger market share in computing than Microsoft?

Then there would finally be enough of them out there, where it would be worth the time, and effort for the villains to start making viruses, and worms for Macs. :lol:

David.

sarongsong
2007-Jul-03, 06:44 PM
But how many minutes are you getting for that price?Just checked the fine print---1,500 minutes.

ZappBrannigan
2007-Jul-03, 07:42 PM
I believe that comes out to 10 cents per minute.

$60 divided by 450 comes out to 13 cents per minute (not counting night and weekend minutes.)

However, SeanF is right. What really counts is how many minutes one uses a month, if one is paying by the month. I have no idea if I'll be using 450 minutes, or 1,000, or 20. That's why I committed to the cheapest plan.

I don't know how I'll feel in six months, but after four days, I have not a shred of buyer's remorse. It is intuitive beyond belief, beautiful, and responsive. Somebody told me it even works as a phone.

Anyone who wants to claim that Humans are using reverse-engineered alien technology should point to the iPhone as exhibit A (not that I personally would ever buy such a notion. I worked with some of these people. I know how good they are at what they do.)

sarongsong
2007-Jul-04, 12:40 AM
:)
July 3, 2007
While most iPhone owners couldn't wait to try out their pricey new gadgets, a few raced to break them apart. The dismantled - and in some cases, permanently busted - iPhones revealed...the names of the companies that supplied the chips and other electronic components...
Jamaican-Gleaner (http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20070703/business/business3.html)

Ronald Brak
2007-Jul-04, 02:47 AM
Ronald, if you don't mind my asking, what provider are you using that you pay only $50 a year? I've got a TracFone, but I don't think they have any service that cheap (in the three years or so that I've had mine, I've used about 50 minutes a month and paid about $14 a month - on average, of course).

I'm in Australia and I use Virgin. I don't pay by the month, I use a prepaid phone. People can reach me but I rarely call anyone on it. I have to admit most people use their mobile phone for calling a lot more than I do.

SeanF
2007-Jul-05, 01:10 PM
I'm in Australia and I use Virgin. I don't pay by the month, I use a prepaid phone. People can reach me but I rarely call anyone on it. I have to admit most people use their mobile phone for calling a lot more than I do.
Thanks. I just looked up their American website, and it looks like the absolute cheapest you can get it here is $20 every 90 days, or about $80 a year (444 minutes). Not too bad.

Maksutov
2007-Jul-06, 01:11 PM
[edit]It is intuitive beyond belief, beautiful, and responsive....Sounds like your wish-dream about Leela.

Kiff, have the boy lay out my best clothes!

Doodler
2007-Jul-06, 02:59 PM
Heh, the things I'm reading about the iPhone are pretty hysterical.

Battery overheating is a problem on some.

Soldered batteries that can only be replaced by sending the phone back for three days, plus about $80 US charges.

Monopolized provider with the worst network coverage in the US.

Keep the pieces of junk.

ZappBrannigan
2007-Jul-07, 06:50 AM
Yeah, well, that's very nice, the implication that I bought a piece of junk, and that some of my friends at Apple helped to develop a piece of junk. Thank you for setting me straight.

Ronald Brak
2007-Jul-07, 07:18 AM
Well I'll thank you again for buying one, Zapp. It does me more good than if you'd spent the the money on beer and pretzels and a new monocle for Leela. Mind you, it doesn't do me as much good as if you'd put the money directly into research and development, or indeed had just mailed the money to me.

ZappBrannigan
2007-Jul-07, 07:35 AM
You didn't get the check?

Ronald Brak
2007-Jul-07, 07:39 AM
You didn't get the check?

That check was from you? And are you saying that you stole your iPhone?

ZappBrannigan
2007-Jul-07, 08:19 AM
That check was from you? And are you saying that you stole your iPhone?
What? Steal? No! I used my iPhone to take a couple of candid shots of... someone (http://video.dotcomedy.com/player/?id=125383). And that someone paid big money to have those files deleted. This thing has already paid for itself! Steal an iPhone? No. All I did was a little blackmailing.

sarongsong
2007-Jul-07, 02:33 PM
So why does the battery need to be soldered in place?

George
2007-Jul-07, 02:58 PM
I'm waiting till they come out with the wristwatch model. [Of course, I've been waiting 40 years. :( ]

Maksutov
2007-Jul-07, 05:29 PM
I'm waiting till they come out with the wristwatch model. [Of course, I've been waiting 40 years. :( ]Chester Gould (or at least one of his characters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Tracy)) had one back in 1964.

baric
2007-Jul-07, 07:52 PM
I have a co-worker friend who bought an iPhone last week and I am mightily impressed with it. It is very slick and easy to use.

Without yet checking the usage fees, I'm seriously considering getting one.

ZappBrannigan
2007-Jul-07, 08:26 PM
So why does the battery need to be soldered in place?
I don't know that much about the hardware. But take a look at these teardown pictures (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone). Perhaps it has something to do with how the battery connects to the logic board. (Side note: the "$80 to get a new battery" thing is only if your iPhone is out of warranty. That's a year to three years away, depending on the type of warranty you get.)

Soldering the battery in might also make the iPhone more rugged, as we see here (http://www.pcworld.com/video/id,545-page,1-bid,0/video.html?tk=synd_macworld).

Paracelsus
2007-Jul-08, 09:12 PM
Check this out, guys: http://www.newscientisttech.com/article/dn12206-iphone-security-cracked-after-one-week.html

In a post dated July 3, Jon Johansen, 23, a prolific hacker of consumer electronics gadgets since he was a teenager in Norway, writes "I've found a way to activate a brand new unactivated iPhone" without signing up for the AT&T service.

"The iPhone does not have phone capability, but the iPod and Wi-Fi work. Stay tuned!" Johansen writes on his long-running blog provocatively called So Sue Me.

The post also contained technical details for other hackers, and links to software necessary to complete the process.

Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris declined to comment on Johansen's claims.

Hmmm...not good...

sarongsong
2007-Aug-18, 03:48 PM
...Without yet checking the usage fees, I'm seriously considering getting one.Good idea!
July 28, 2007
...AT&T’s invoice was in the mail...$124.83 – bam!...Let’s subtract the $36 activation charge...and I come up with $88.83 as a monthly charge for the very basic service [450 minutes]...iPhone users get preferred treatment from AT&T and can call customer service even on weekends...I suggest that, if you have an iPhone as well, double-check your invoice...
TG Daily (http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/33127/128/)

sarongsong
2007-Aug-27, 05:47 AM
...take a look at these teardown pictures (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone)...Looks like somebody sure did!
September 2007
Clone Home
Think the iPhone's cool? Cloners aren't just copying Apple's product; they've tried to improve on it. Here's how the counterfeit revolution is turning China into the next high-tech powerhouse...
Popular Science
Note: Summary only; full article not yet online.

sarongsong
2007-Aug-27, 05:48 AM
...take a look at these teardown pictures (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone)...Looks like somebody sure did!
September 2007
Clone Home
Think the iPhone's cool? Cloners aren't just copying Apple's product; they've tried to improve on it. Here's how the counterfeit revolution is turning China into the next high-tech powerhouse...
Popular Science (http://www.popsci.com/popsci/currentissue/index.html)
Note: Summary only; full article not yet online.Remember the much-mocked Japanese cheap transistor radios from the 1950's?