PDA

View Full Version : CNN not like Mythbusters

NEOWatcher
2007-Jun-27, 04:48 PM
On CNN (http://www.cnn.com/) right now there is a story titled "Melon, dummy blasted to show fireworks risk (javascript:cnnVideo('play','/video/health/2007/06/27/intv.vallese.fireworks.cpsc','2009/06/26');)" (sorry no direct link since its jscript)
But; they demonstrate the power of an M-80 firework on a dummy. Mythbusters would have at least used ballistics gel. They blow off the hand of a store mannequin...very lifelike.:naughty:

By the way... most people I know say "yes; they are dangerous, but I know what I'm doing", so education is not the issue, it's overcoming the "not me" mentality.

2007-Jun-27, 05:03 PM
I won't believe it until I see an M-80 turn a pig trotter to pink mist.

Celestial Mechanic
2007-Jun-27, 05:10 PM
Farmer Bob: "That melon sure blowed up good!"

Billy Sol Hurok: "Real good! Let's blow one up ourselves, real soon!"

Farmer Bob: "May the Lord take a likin' to you and blow you up ... "

Both: "... real soon!"

:D

Soup Fan
2007-Jun-27, 06:16 PM
Why do I only own 1 season of SCTV on DVD?

I feel ashamed.

hhEb09'1
2007-Jun-27, 06:26 PM
By the way... most people I know say "yes; they are dangerous, but I know what I'm doing", I know it's dangerous holding it between my teeth while I light it, but the look on my girlfriend's face is priceless...

TheDHC
2007-Jun-27, 06:37 PM
i fail to see any problem here

nauthiz
2007-Jun-27, 06:47 PM
They blow off the hand of a store mannequin...very lifelike.:naughty:

Maybe they were trying to test the risk of fireworks use for people with prosthetic limbs. There hasn't been a whole lot of science on that, don'cha'know?

WHarris
2007-Jun-27, 06:48 PM
But; they demonstrate the power of an M-80 firework on a dummy. Mythbusters would have at least used ballistics gel.

Or a cement truck. :lol:

Trebuchet
2007-Jun-27, 07:22 PM
I've actually gotten kind of tired of Mythbusters having to blow something up in virtually every episode.

But thank you for reminding me it's Wednesday!

Larry Jacks
2007-Jun-27, 07:23 PM
I sometimes wonder how any boy survives puberty. When I was a kid, we used to have fireworks wars. We used M-80s as substitutes for hand grenades (because we couldn't get real grenades) and rather large rockets (bottle rockets were for wimps) that we shot at each other. I knew a guy who had one go off while he was still holding it. No permanent damage, just some blood blisters. Sure, it hurt but it didn't blow off any fingers, much less his hand. Perhaps if he'd been holding it in a clinched fist instead of holding it just with his thumb and forefinger, there would've been damage. That's an experiment for someone else.

Swift
2007-Jun-27, 07:24 PM
I've actually gotten kind of tired of Mythbusters having to blow something up in virtually every episode.

But thank you for reminding me it's Wednesday!
Tired of explosions?!? How is that even possible? :confused:

NEOWatcher
2007-Jun-27, 07:28 PM
Apparently you are not Edgar Montrose (http://www.redgreen.com/index.cfm?app=cart&a=view_cast&castID=13).:lol:

weatherc
2007-Jun-27, 07:43 PM
Tired of explosions?!? How is that even possible? :confused:I'm not sure. I love it when they say, "Well, the myth's busted. Now let's blow something up!"

Yes, it's immature. But I like it anyway.

Aerik
2007-Jun-27, 07:57 PM
Keith Olbermann of MSNBC actually made fun of it. HE showed the clip and said "adn thus they have proven the point. Don't duct tape rubber dummies to a lawn chair and detonate fireworks in their laps!"

Fazor
2007-Jun-27, 08:07 PM
Keith Olbermann of MSNBC actually made fun of it. HE showed the clip and said "[and] thus they have proven the point. Don't duct tape rubber dummies to a lawn chair and detonate fireworks in their laps!"
Well I'm glad someone finally called the media on their dumbing-down tactics. But really, even if the experement was done correctly, do we really need proof that explosives blow things up? Anyone with access to these types of pyrotechnics should already know this, and if they don't then it shouldn't be too sad when they blow themselves up. :-P

Tobin Dax
2007-Jun-27, 09:11 PM
Apparently you are not Edgar Montrose (http://www.redgreen.com/index.cfm?app=cart&a=view_cast&castID=13).:lol:
"ka-BOOM!" :D

novaderrik
2007-Jun-28, 03:58 AM
well, CNN is the network that thinks Afghanistan is just to the east of Israel, and that most map makers spell it "S-Y-R-I-A" for some reason..

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Jun-28, 04:04 AM
I love how he gets rid of seagulls. Take propane tanke cover it with birdseed and suet. Wait for the birds to start eating the bird seed and shot the tank, then boom. Probably won't work but a fun idea.

Noclevername
2007-Jun-28, 06:22 AM
Not like Mythbusters, indeed. Myth spreaders, maybe. CNN doesn't have even the faintest pretense of testing anything scientifically. They're just another dog-and-pony show to attract advertising dollars.

NEOWatcher
2007-Jun-28, 11:52 AM
Not like Mythbusters, indeed. Myth spreaders, maybe. CNN doesn't have even the faintest pretense of testing anything scientifically. They're just another dog-and-pony show to attract advertising dollars.
Funny...Mythbusters did a dog show last night. ;) Nothing exploded.:think:

farmerjumperdon
2007-Jun-28, 12:07 PM
[B]Well I'm glad someone finally called the media on their dumbing-down tactics. But really, even if the experement was done correctly, do we really need proof that explosives blow things up?

Yes, and we need it over and over and over . . .