PDA

View Full Version : Sudden food cravings

Palomar
2007-Jun-27, 07:24 PM
I just got hit with a serious craving for old-fashioned oven-baked scalloped potatoes and ham. :)

captain swoop
2007-Jun-27, 07:27 PM
I always have a craving for a nice Steak and Kidney Pudding.

Swift
2007-Jun-27, 07:27 PM
This is the best I can do over the internet
http://www.hormel.com/images/recipe/hormel_products/Refrigerated/Cure81/HamScallopedPotatoes.jpg

Palomar
2007-Jun-27, 07:47 PM
This is the best I can do over the internet
http://www.hormel.com/images/recipe/hormel_products/Refrigerated/Cure81/HamScallopedPotatoes.jpg

Mmmmmm! Thank you! ;)

Captain Swoop: I always have a craving for ... Kidney Pudding.

:confused: :hand: Will pass.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jun-27, 07:49 PM
I just got hit with a serious craving for old-fashioned oven-baked scalloped potatoes and ham. :)

Young lady, are you with child? :)

NEOWatcher
2007-Jun-27, 07:49 PM
... Kidney Pudding.

:confused: :hand: Will pass.
You will? It will? or both:lol:

Palomar
2007-Jun-27, 07:54 PM

Um...no. :shifty: I should have put a notice to that effect in my first post. :lol: About once a day get a want-it-now food craving. ::shrugs::

Fazor
2007-Jun-27, 07:57 PM
About once a day get a want-it-now food craving. ::shrugs::
I get that craving about 10 times a day. Probably why i've gained 30 lbs over the last year and a half.

Swift
2007-Jun-27, 08:11 PM
Um...no. :shifty: I should have put a notice to that effect in my first post. :lol: About once a day get a want-it-now food craving. ::shrugs::
I get cravings like that once in a while (and no, I'm not with child either). There was one time in college where three of us were sitting around and someone said "pecan pie". Suddenly, we all had a craving. We went down the local drag (Thayer Street in Providence, Rhode Island), stopping at each restaurant:
"Table for three?"
"Do you have pecan pie?"
"No"
"Never mind"

We finally found a place... "no, we don't need menus, just three slices of pecan pie". :D

Fazor
2007-Jun-27, 08:54 PM
We went down the local drag (Thayer Street in Providence, Rhode Island), stopping at each restaurant:
"Table for three?"
"Do you have pecan pie?"
"No"
"Never mind"

Hmm, close to something we would have pulled, except woulda gone something like:

"Table for three?"
"Do you have pecan pie*?"
"Yes we do"
"Then nevermind"
* We probably would have said something more common, like mustard or salt.

captain swoop
2007-Jun-27, 10:35 PM
Not Kidney Pudding!!

Steak and Kidney Pudding ( http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/steak-and-kidney-pudding-with-steak-and-kidney-gravy,780,RC.html)

With Steak and Kidney Gravy.!! yum

Gillianren
2007-Jun-28, 06:47 AM

That's when you have an incredible fierce desire to eat apples. Ask Anne Boleyn.

Paracelsus
2007-Jun-28, 03:34 PM
I can't eat anything--it's too hot down here in DC.

Mister Earl
2007-Jun-28, 03:55 PM
Twelve pounds of mashed potatoes, corn, dark brown gravy, and a quarter pound of pepper.

*DROOL*

Loves me them taters. Mmmhmm.

Palomar
2007-Jun-28, 04:06 PM
I get cravings like that once in a while (and no, I'm not with child either). There was one time in college where three of us were sitting around and someone said "pecan pie". Suddenly, we all had a craving. We went down the local drag (Thayer Street in Providence, Rhode Island), stopping at each restaurant:
"Table for three?"
"Do you have pecan pie?"
"No"
"Never mind"

We finally found a place... "no, we don't need menus, just three slices of pecan pie". :D

You sound like my kind of person, definitely! :D

That's when you have an incredible fierce desire to eat apples. Ask Anne Boleyn.

If demolishing an entire bowl of assorted fresh fruit without realizing it until there are only cores, stems and peels scattered about is any indication [me, 20 years ago], you're right.

Twelve pounds of mashed potatoes, corn, dark brown gravy, and a quarter pound of pepper.

*DROOL*

Loves me them taters. Mmmhmm.

Oh yeah. :) Fellow potato fiend here! Can't think of any potato dish I don't like. My husband always gets after me; carbs, keep my weight down.

captain swoop
2007-Jun-28, 04:22 PM
Don't forget to add a load of butter and some cream to the mash!

captain swoop
2007-Jun-28, 04:24 PM
My fave pots are roasties, Parboiled, soaked in olive oil and then put on the shelf in the oven under the roast.

Swift
2007-Jun-28, 07:20 PM
Oh yeah. :) Fellow potato fiend here! Can't think of any potato dish I don't like. My husband always gets after me; carbs, keep my weight down.
Addicted to spuds? (http://www.com-www.com/weirdal/addictedtospuds.html)

You like them whether they are plain or they're stuffed, oh yeah
Better face the facts, it seems you can't get enough
You know, you're gonna have to face it
You're addicted to spuds

Fazor
2007-Jun-28, 07:23 PM
Gotta love big Al.

Gillianren
2007-Jun-28, 07:27 PM
If demolishing an entire bowl of assorted fresh fruit without realizing it until there are only cores, stems and peels scattered about is any indication [me, 20 years ago], you're right.

It's that poor woman's most famous line, actually. It's how she announced her pregnancy to the court--"Such an incredible fierce desire to eat apples. The King says it means I am with child." Whether she actually craved apples or not, history does not record.

Carbs are good for you! You need way more carbs than fat; it's one of the reasons Atkins is a bad idea. (I love potatoes, too. One of the--many--things I really miss with Graham being gone is his fried potatoes. Yum!)

Swift
2007-Jun-28, 07:30 PM
Gotta love big Al.
I'm seeing him in concert a week from tomorrow - third time I've seen him, so yep, gotta love him!

Fazor
2007-Jun-28, 07:51 PM
I'm seeing him in concert a week from tomorrow - third time I've seen him, so yep, gotta love him!

Cool beans! He was the first concert I ever attended...*cough*with my mother and brother at the state fair*cough* (yea, I'm cool).

Jeff Foxworhty opened for him; it was early in his career and none of us had ever heard of him. In other words, those redneck jokes were actually funny, instead of cliché and redundant. Overall, was a great show for the $15 State-fair ticket price.

Gillianren
2007-Jun-28, 09:27 PM

Aw, man! I've been a fan of his since elementary school. UHF was about the third movie I bought on DVD. And I've never seen him in concert.

Swift
2007-Jun-29, 01:09 PM
Aw, man! I've been a fan of his since elementary school. UHF was about the third movie I bought on DVD. And I've never seen him in concert.
Tour website (http://www.weirdal.com/touring.htm)
Sept 12 Puyallup, WA Western Washington Fair
Sept 13 Spokane, WA Spokane County Fair & Expo
Oct 6 Yakima, WA Central Washington State Fair

3rdvogon
2007-Jun-29, 01:16 PM
Me and me Mum and me Dad and me Gran
We're off to Waterloo
And a bucket of Vindaloo
Bucket!
Vindaloo
Vindaloo
Vindaloo
Vindaloo
Vindaloo Nah Nah
Vindaloo
Vindaloo
Vindaloo
Vindaloo Nah Nah
Vindaloo
Vindaloo
And we all like Vindaloo

captain swoop
2007-Jun-29, 03:16 PM
The 'unofficial' England world cup song Lol! better than the '3 Lions on the Shirt' official thing.

Gillianren
2007-Jun-29, 06:32 PM
I might be able to afford Puyallup (pronounced pyoo-all-up, for the curious); that's pretty close.

Edit: Okay, but one cheap ticket is $75!

Paracelsus
2007-Jun-29, 08:43 PM
We're off to Waterloo
And a bucket of Vindaloo
Bucket!
Vindaloo
Vindaloo
Vindaloo
Vindaloo
Vindaloo Nah Nah
Vindaloo
Vindaloo
Vindaloo
Vindaloo Nah Nah
Vindaloo
Vindaloo
And we all like Vindaloo

Haven't had Indian for the longest time. Hubby has been refusing to eat Indian food since he got a batch of bad vindaloo at 'Tandoori Nights' which gave him a ferocious case of diarrhea.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jun-29, 09:42 PM
My favorite is boiled bunker fish with a side of fried skank.

captain swoop
2007-Jun-29, 10:43 PM
skank?

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Jun-29, 10:46 PM
The only thing skank means to me is a slutty or a slutty dressing woman, don't know what Tim meant.

Gillianren
2007-Jun-29, 10:52 PM
The only thing skank means to me is a slutty or a slutty dressing woman, don't know what Tim meant.

That's what it means to me, too.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jun-29, 11:15 PM

Star-gazy pie isn't bad either.

Paracelsus
2007-Jun-30, 12:24 AM
Now, I'm drawing a blank. Borat is on.

Gillianren
2007-Jun-30, 05:16 AM
Star-gazy pie isn't bad either.

I wouldn't touch the stuff, personally, but I only eat fish fried. (In the Discworld books, there's a similar concept only with rats.)

3rdvogon
2007-Jun-30, 09:34 AM
I wouldn't touch the stuff, personally, but I only eat fish fried. (In the Discworld books, there's a similar concept only with rats.)

Was it definitely rats or Mars Bars?

http://www.getstuffed.info/friedmars.htm

Maksutov
2007-Jun-30, 10:47 AM
I remember when, before he got big, he was "Weird Al".

Don't tell me he got "Fat"?

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jun-30, 05:16 PM
My favorite is boiled bunker fish with a side of fried skank.

Best served with a glass of Lake Erie Swill. :)

captain swoop
2007-Jul-01, 12:14 AM
if it's fish it's Cod and Chips in Whitby. best there is.

Palomar
2007-Jul-10, 06:59 PM
I sometimes make homemade fish 'n chips. Probably not as good as what you Brits have, but I try. :)

...now for a sudden beverage craving: I could go for a tall, sweaty, ice-filled glass of homemade lemonade.

Fazor
2007-Jul-10, 07:08 PM
I've been craving Chicken in Molé Poblano, and I've never even had it before. How weird is that? :) I might make it tonight, but I somewhat hesitate to try a new somewhat spicey dish tonight as we're going to see the Harry Potter movie at midnight (my g/f's a huuuuuuge fan, and I'll admit that I enjoy them to an extent aswell). I never know how my stomache's going to react to a new dish.

Swift
2007-Jul-11, 03:01 AM
I've been craving Chicken in Molé Poblano, and I've never even had it before. How weird is that? :) I might make it tonight, but I somewhat hesitate to try a new somewhat spicey dish tonight as we're going to see the Harry Potter movie at midnight (my g/f's a huuuuuuge fan, and I'll admit that I enjoy them to an extent aswell). I never know how my stomache's going to react to a new dish.
Yes, that is weird that you crave something you have never had. But it is a very good dish. There is Mex place in Chardon that makes some excellent mole (and other stuff too). But no, don't try it just before sitting in a movie; let's just say "your mileage may vary".

Fazor
2007-Jul-11, 01:17 PM
Well, I made it anyway, just using some pre-made paste from the store. (From what I can tell, making the sause from scratch is a fairly involved process). It wasn't *bad* per-se, but I was in too much of a hurry and ignored the "season to taste" suggestion on the dirrections, and the sause itself was rather bland (more the base sause, I suppose). I have some hot peppers in my garden that should be ripe in a week or two, once those come in I'll retry the dish with that and some other ad-libbed spices.

Oh, and made it through the movie just fine, if you were wondering ;)

Palomar
2007-Oct-20, 03:55 PM
Warm, fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies with a dab of apricot jam. MmmmMMmMmm :)

phaishazamkhan
2007-Oct-20, 05:04 PM
Pardon the horrible formatting but this is very informative.

* If you are craving CHOCOLATE, your body may be low in MAGNESIUM Try eating more raw nuts and seeds, legumes, fruits.
* If you are craving SWEETS, your body may be low in CHROMIUM. Try eating more broccoli, grapes, cheese, dried beans, calves liver, chicken.
* If you are craving SWEETS, your body may be low in CARBON. Try eating more fresh fruits.
* If you are craving SWEETS, your body may be low in PHOSPHOROUS. Try eating more chicken, beef, liver, poultry, fish, eggs, dairy, nuts, legumes, grains.
* If you are craving SWEETS, your body may be low in SULFUR. Try eating more cranberries, horseradish, cruciferous vegetables, kale, cabbage.
* If you are craving SWEETS, your body may be low in TRYPTOPHAN. Try eating more cheese, liver, lamb, raisins, sweet potato, spinach.
* If you are craving BREAD & TOAST, your body may be low in NITROGEN. Try eating more high-protein foods: fish, meat, nuts, beans.
* If you are craving OILY/FATTY FOODS, your body may be low in FAT or low in CALCIUM. If you are meeting your good fat requirements, try eating more mustard and turnip greens, broccoli, kale, legumes, cheese, sesame.
* If you are craving COFFEE & TEA, your body may be low in PHOSPHOROUS. Try eating more chicken, beef, liver, poultry, fish, eggs, dairy, nuts, legumes.
* If you are craving COFFEE & TEA, your body may be low in SULFUR. Try eating more egg yolks, red peppers, muscle protein, garlic, onion, cruciferous vegetables.
* If you are craving COFFEE & TEA, your body may be low in NaCl (SALT). Try eating more sea salt, apple cider vinegar (on salad).
* If you are craving COFFEE & TEA, your body may be low in IRON. Try eating more meat, fish and poultry, seaweed, greens, black cherries.
* If you are craving ALCOHOL or RECREATIONAL DRUGS, your body may be low in PROTEIN. Try eating more meat, poultry, seafood, dairy, nuts.
* If you are craving ALCOHOL or RECREATIONAL DRUGS, your body may be low in AVENIN. Try eating more granola, oatmeal.
* If you are craving ALCOHOL or RECREATIONAL DRUGS, your body may be low in CALCIUM. Try eating more mustard and turnip greens, broccoli, kale, legumes, cheese, sesame.
* If you are craving ALCOHOL or RECREATIONAL DRUGS, your body may be low in GLUTAMINE. Try eating more glutamine powder (a supplement) for withdrawal, raw cabbage juice.
* If you are craving ALCOHOL or RECREATIONAL DRUGS, your body may be low in POTASSIUM. Try eating more sun-dried black olives, potato peel broth, seaweed, bitter greens.
* If you are craving CHEWING ICE, your body may be low in IRON. Try eating more meat, fish, poultry, seaweed, greens, black cherries.
* If you are craving BURNT FOOD, your body may be low in CARBON. Try eating more fresh fruit.
* If you are craving SODA & CARBONATED DRINKS, your body may be low in CALCIUM. Try eating more mustard and turnip greens, broccoli, kale, legumes, cheese, sesame.
* If you are craving SALTY FOOD, your body may be low in CHLORIDE. Try eating more raw goat milk, fish, unrefined sea salt.
* If you are craving ACIDIC FOODS, your body may be low in MAGNESIUM. Try eating more raw nuts and seeds, legumes, fruits.
* If you are craving LIQUIDS RATHER THAN SOLIDS, your body may be low in WATER. Try to drink more water flavored with lemon or lime. You need 8 to 10 glasses per day and more when it's hot or you are exercising!
* If you are craving SOLIDS, RATHER THAN LIQUIDS, your body may be low in WATER. Try to drink more water. Long-term, chronic dehydration results in losing your thirst. Flavor water with lemon or lime. You need 8 to 10 glasses per day and more when it's hot or you are exercising!
* If you are craving COOL DRINKS, your body may be low in MANGANESE. Try eating more walnuts, almonds, pecans, pineapple, blueberries.
* If your cravings are PRE-MENSTRUAL, your body may be low in ZINC. Try eating more red meats (especially organ meats), seafood, leafy vegetables, root vegetables.
* If you are HABITUALLY OVEREATING, your body may be low in SILICON. Try eating more nuts, seeds; avoid refined starches.
* If you are HABITUALLY OVEREATING, your body may be low in TRYPTOPHAN. Try eating more cheese, liver, lamb, raisins, sweat potato, spinach.
* If you are HABITUALLY OVEREATING, your body may be low in TYROSINE. Try eating more Vitamin C supplements or orange, green, red fruits and vegetables.
* If you suffer from a LACK OF APPETITE, your body may be low in VITAMIN B1. Try eating more nuts, seeds, beans, liver and other organ meats.
* If you suffer from a LACK OF APPETITE, your body may be low in VITAMIN B3. Try eating more tuna, halibut, beef, chicken, turkey, pork, seeds and legumes.
* If you suffer from a LACK OF APPETITE, your body may be low in MANGANESE. Try eating more walnuts, almonds, pecans, pineapple, blueberries.
* If you suffer from a LACK OF APPETITE, your body may be low in CHLORIDE. Try eating more raw goat milk, unrefined sea salt.
* If you are craving TOBACCO, your body may be low in SILICON. Try eating more nuts, seeds; avoid refined starches.
* If you are craving TOBACCO, your body may be low in TYROSINE. Try eating more Vitamin C supplements or orange, green and red fruits and vegetables.

Neverfly
2007-Oct-20, 05:18 PM
And after following all that advise in a desperate attempt to stop the cravings... You had better either give birth or go to Jenny Craig.

BigDon
2007-Oct-20, 05:48 PM
Low on carbon? Is that even possible?

BigDon
2007-Oct-20, 05:51 PM
Whoa! So the next time I want to smoke a fatty I should drink cabbage juice instead? I'll run that past some stoners I know and see if it flies.

closetgeek
2007-Oct-23, 05:29 PM
When i was pregnant with my first, I woke at 3 a.m. craving cocoa puffs like a starving beast. Didn't even bother to get dressed, just put my robe and slippers on, got in the car, and drove to the nearest 7-11. Hey with the basketball I was carrying around, I just figured they would understand...

a nice t-bone sounds good : )

Swift
2007-Oct-23, 05:57 PM
Warm, fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies with a dab of apricot jam. MmmmMMmMmm :)
Oh, you evil person for mentioning that. Now I want some!

Actually, I love both of those, but never had them together (and I have had apricots with chocolate). That sounds really good!

Tucson_Tim
2007-Oct-23, 06:07 PM
Low on carbon? Is that even possible?

That's when you crave boiled bunker fish with a side order of fried skank.

Gillianren
2007-Oct-23, 07:33 PM
If you are craving alcohol, recreational drugs, or tobacco, your body may be addicted, and what you eat probably won't matter at all. (Yes, I know; not everyone who consumes the above are addicted, though it is a strong presumption with two out of the three. It's still a valid point, I thought.)

Also, practically nobody's body is low on salt. In the US, at least, it's far more likely to be exactly the opposite.

Swift
2007-Oct-23, 07:57 PM
Also, practically nobody's body is low on salt. In the US, at least, it's far more likely to be exactly the opposite.
That is generally true (to the best of my knowledge), but there are exceptions. My wife has an ostomy and fluid and electrolyte balance are a constant concern. It just so happened she was at her gastroenterologist this morning and he wants her to start taking Pediolyte to deal with her salt cravings.

closetgeek
2007-Oct-30, 01:25 PM
Lol, they should do a taste test at the local methadone clinic. "We've secretly replaced their normal injection with peanuts..."

If you are craving alcohol, recreational drugs, or tobacco, your body may be addicted, and what you eat probably won't matter at all. (Yes, I know; not everyone who consumes the above are addicted, though it is a strong presumption with two out of the three. It's still a valid point, I thought.)