PDA

View Full Version : Chevron One encoded

Glom
2003-Jun-24, 12:06 PM
I'm seeing a chevron that has a slightly crooked Y shape with a triangle at the side pointing to a line leading to one of the crevices of the Y. What constellation does that represent?

Another one is a simple triangle, which I assume is Triangulum. A third looks dodgy. I looks like an upside down ice cream cone drawn by a baby. I think it might be Bootes.

rst
2003-Jun-24, 01:40 PM
i think you're assuming that the ancients draw like we do

gethen
2003-Jun-24, 02:23 PM
Don't know about the first, can't visualize that. Bootes is most often described as looking like a kite, and I think that's a pretty good description of it. Where is that first set of stars in relation to the possible Bootes?

captain swoop
2003-Jun-24, 02:53 PM
Here are all the lcoordinates used in every episode
http://www.stargatefan.com/references/worlds.html#top

rst
2003-Jun-25, 12:10 PM
thanks captain swoop
this ite's pretty good, i haven't seen it before 8)

David Hall
2003-Jun-29, 03:02 PM
Took me a bit to realize you're referring to the Stargate symbols.

Bootes always looks like an ice-cream cone to me.

I agree though that the ancient's definition of what constitutes a constellation would likely be a bit different than what we're used to today, even if we assume that our modern definitions derive from the ancient ones.

Glom
2003-Aug-15, 03:39 PM
Panic over. (http://www.rdanderson.com/stargate/glyphs/glyphs.htm)

The constellations in question were Triangulum, Pisces Austrinus and Centaurus. It's no wonder I didn't get them. Their southern hemisphere constellations.

Glom
2003-Aug-16, 10:49 PM
BTW, I was watching 'Solitudes' and got the destination symbols for Earth.

1 Auriga
2 Cetus
3 Centaurus
4 Cancer
5 Scutum
6 Eridanus
7 Point of Origin

Roy Batty
2003-Aug-17, 12:43 PM
Thanks Glom, I can get back now! :D

Oh heck... wheres me code thingymejig?!

CMartin
2003-Aug-19, 05:11 PM
Not being an astronomy guy, let me ask this- how far away from Earth are the constellations? Are they in other galaxies?

Wouldn't one constellation look entirely different if seen from, say, the other side of our galaxy? Or are they so far away they wouldn't?

For me, Stargate's two greatest bad sciences are: Everyone speaks English- unless they are Jaffa or the First Ones. Why not have some kind of universal translator, or have there be a universal language, like Egyptian, that everyone learns, and have it understood that dialogue off world is actually in Egyptian?

And two, the whole address system. How could every DHD have the same symbols? Given the issue of perspective, wouldn't symbols change from one world to the next- especially since in many episodes they say worlds are in different galaxies. Which brings up the question of, how far away are the Asgard?

SeanF
2003-Aug-19, 06:11 PM
Not being an astronomy guy, let me ask this- how far away from Earth are the constellations? Are they in other galaxies?

Wouldn't one constellation look entirely different if seen from, say, the other side of our galaxy? Or are they so far away they wouldn't?

The constellations are groups of stars in our galaxy that form some kind of pattern in the sky.

You're right that they would look entirely different from other points in the galaxy because the stars in any given constellation are all different distances from us. Take the big dipper, for example. It would be possible to be located in such a place that the stars of the big dipper would be on opposite sides of you - you couldn't even see all of them in the sky at the same time! Those stars only form a "dipper" pattern when viewed from our neck of the woods.

Glom
2003-Aug-19, 06:34 PM

Depends on the distances of the stars that form them. They are generally formed from stars in our galaxy.

Certainly.

For me, Stargate's two greatest bad sciences are: Everyone speaks English- unless they are Jaffa or the First Ones. Why not have some kind of universal translator, or have there be a universal language, like Egyptian, that everyone learns, and have it understood that dialogue off world is actually in Egyptian?

MARTY: What are the chances they have apples on an alien planet?

PROPS GUY: Why not? They speak English.

They do take that bit of license and DeLuise likes to joke about that.

And two, the whole address system. How could every DHD have the same symbols? Given the issue of perspective, wouldn't symbols change from one world to the next- especially since in many episodes they say worlds are in different galaxies.

Given that the Ancients may be simply more evolved humans, it has begged the question of from where they originated. The second gate was believed to be one of the oldest in the network. Perhaps they were from Earth originally. If that is the case, then that would explain why the Ancients would devise the system like that.

Which brings up the question of, how far away are the Asgard?

They were from another galaxy although they had to evacuate to escape the Replicators.

captain swoop
2003-Aug-20, 08:00 AM
snip
Everyone speaks English- unless they are Jaffa or the First Ones. Why not have some kind of universal translator, or have there be a universal language, like Egyptian, that everyone learns, and have it understood that dialogue off world is actually in Egyptian?

snip

from http://www.mgmuk.com/stargate-sg1/home/faq/index.html#13

Why does every culture SG-1 encounters speak English?

They do not. As many cultures encountered by the SG teams are derived from ancient Earth cultures, as a linguist, Daniel Jackson is able to communicate with most of these cultures. SG-1 also has Teal'c along, a 90 year old Jaffa, who can communicate with all other Goa'ulds. Occasionally, SG-1 even encounters a race, like the Asguard, who are technologically superior to humans and decipher english in order to communicate with the team.

frenat
2003-Aug-20, 11:48 AM
snip
Everyone speaks English- unless they are Jaffa or the First Ones. Why not have some kind of universal translator, or have there be a universal language, like Egyptian, that everyone learns, and have it understood that dialogue off world is actually in Egyptian?

snip

from http://www.mgmuk.com/stargate-sg1/home/faq/index.html#13

Why does every culture SG-1 encounters speak English?

They do not. As many cultures encountered by the SG teams are derived from ancient Earth cultures, as a linguist, Daniel Jackson is able to communicate with most of these cultures. SG-1 also has Teal'c along, a 90 year old Jaffa, who can communicate with all other Goa'ulds. Occasionally, SG-1 even encounters a race, like the Asguard, who are technologically superior to humans and decipher english in order to communicate with the team.

That would fit if Daniel was always there to translate for the rest of the team but he's not. Often even when he is there, Oneill and Carter talk to the natives of these other worlds with no difficulty.

One other thing. In the movie they made a big deal about needing to know the symbol for the planet they were on to get home. Now that is not an issue. Also with the limited number of symbols on the stargate, how is it that it can go to thousands of planets?

kucharek
2003-Aug-20, 12:04 PM
I don't care very much about that all ETs speak English (btw, actually they speak German 8) ). Do we really would like to have a SF series which deals with plenty of contacts with ETs and spends its whole time in sorting out communication problems? Or having us to look at subtitles all the time?

Definitely not.

I like how they did it in "Hunt for Red October". First, all the Russians speak Russian. And then, with a nice switch, they change to English (btw, actually they change to German 8) ).

captain swoop
2003-Aug-20, 01:11 PM
I don't care very much about that all ETs speak English (btw, actually they speak German 8) ). Do we really would like to have a SF series which deals with plenty of contacts with ETs and spends its whole time in sorting out communication problems? Or having us to look at subtitles all the time?

Definitely not.

Exactly we don't want to watch a language school. If we can believe the Stargate why is it so much harder to believe the lingo?

What matters are plot and character, Enterprise has a nice translator but the rest is rubbish.

SeanF
2003-Aug-20, 02:00 PM
I like how they did it in "Hunt for Red October". First, all the Russians speak Russian. And then, with a nice switch, they change to English (btw, actually they change to German 8) ).

I agree - switch from Russian to English right in the middle of quoting the Bible, with the subtitles just stopping. I assume they did the switch in the German version in the same place?

BTW, they did almost the exact same thing with Klingon in the courtroom scene in The Undiscovered Country.

TheGalaxyTrio
2003-Aug-20, 03:05 PM
I'm seeing a chevron that has a slightly crooked Y shape with a triangle at the side pointing to a line leading to one of the crevices of the Y. What constellation does that represent?

Techtrol. :-s

Glom
2003-Aug-20, 03:08 PM
One other thing. In the movie they made a big deal about needing to know the symbol for the planet they were on to get home. Now that is not an issue.

The idea is that they identify the point of origin because that symbol would be unique. Daniel didn't know that in the movie.

Also with the limited number of symbols on the stargate, how is it that it can go to thousands of planets?

With a choice of 38 symbols to form a sequence of 6, there are over two billion possible addresses.

frenat
2003-Aug-20, 06:47 PM
Also with the limited number of symbols on the stargate, how is it that it can go to thousands of planets?

With a choice of 38 symbols to form a sequence of 6, there are over two billion possible addresses.

Yes, I got that but with only 38 symbols and a unique one for every starting location, then what? Are the symbols different on every DHD? Also what is the point of denoting the starting location? Shouldn't the system be intelligent enough to recognize that the starting location is the one its being dialed from?

Glom
2003-Aug-20, 07:02 PM
In 'The Serpent's Lair', Daniel dials out from the gate on Klorel's ship because it was in orbit of Earth. Earth was used as the point of origin. However, obviously, that gate didn't have the symbol of the Tau'ri. It's clear the seventh symbol is some kind of skeleton key that will be used by the system depending on where the gate is.