PDA

View Full Version : Location Scouting!

Gillianren
2007-Jun-30, 06:32 AM
So as I'm sure I've mentioned quite a lot of times, I write books. (No, none of them are published yet. Long story.) In the one I'm working on, one of my characters is going to relocate to rural Nova Scotia for reasons that make sense in the books. However, my knowledge of Nova Scotia is almost entirely derived from L. M. Montgomery novels and therefore a bit out-of-date. Can someone tell me about a good, rugged, coastal bit of Nova Scotia that isn't too modern-looking and built up? Is there still such a thing?

Maksutov
2007-Jun-30, 06:40 AM
You might consider the Bay of Fundy (http://www.bayoffundy.com/aboutnature.aspx) part of Nova Scotia. Due to the world's highest tides, there's not much urban sprawl around there. Plus you have the addition of the landscape and tides as potential plot enhancement material. Then there are the village names, such as Truro and Economy.

sarongsong
2007-Jun-30, 08:58 AM
A few maps (http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/search/search_results?expression=nova+scotia&image2.x=0&image2.y=0) perhaps? :)

Jeff Root
2007-Jun-30, 08:58 AM
The Olympic Peninsula of Washington will be the stand-in for Nova
Scotia when the "book" is made into a movie, right?

I would argue... No, I take that back. I will argue that you
haven't written any books if they haven't been published. Stories,
novels, perhaps. Fiction, fer sure. Problem with my argument,
though, is what to call them if they are nonfiction. "Books", I guess.
Ahem. Lessee, where was I? Ah, yes, working on my book. I've
just about finished with the page numbers!

-- Jeff, in Timbuktu

sarongsong
2007-Jun-30, 09:44 AM
...you haven't written any books if they haven't been published...Ah, yes, working on my book...Who published it?

Moose
2007-Jun-30, 11:21 AM
Can someone tell me about a good, rugged, coastal bit of Nova Scotia that isn't too modern-looking and built up? Is there still such a thing?

"Rugged" would seem to suggest the ocean side of NS, or Cape Breton.

The real question is: is there such a place that doesn't look like that? Seriously, you can almost pick at random, you'll almost certainly be right (or right enough).

But I might be able to narrow down some possibilities for you. How rural are you talking about? Can your character see his/her neighbors' houses? Target population of the surroundings? Can he/she see the water? What sort of land features are you looking for? What sort of commercial services do you want available? How far from "urban centers" do you want him/her to be?

Are you going to be trying to work in a local accent? (If so, do you have a preference as to which one? There are at least three very distinct coastal accents, depending on where you are in relation to Halifax.)

Just offhand: Sambro, Ketch Harbor, St. Peters, Lunenburg, Riverport. All are decent possibilities depending on the details (at least I can provide some information about these places.) And the tourism angle shouldn't be a big factor.

Lianachan
2007-Jun-30, 04:53 PM
Plenty in Old Scotia ;)

Gillianren
2007-Jul-01, 09:43 AM
Plenty in Old Scotia ;)

Aye, well, that's where the character's originally from. (And I do mean old; she's a time-traveller.) She's going to be running a halfway house for special needs kids; she'll want as few neighbours as possible. It should definitely be on the water, and she has a wide range of transportation options available to her for when she needs supplies.

Argue away, Jeff; however, they are book-length works of fiction that I keep in notebooks. "Books" is shorter. And frankly, I'd rather have Nova Scotia stand in for Nova Scotia; our coastlines do look different.

Maksutov
2007-Jul-01, 10:11 AM
[edit](And I do mean old; she's a time-traveller.)...If she's a time-traveler, maybe she could reverse the polarity of the tides in the Bay of Fundy.

Now there's a plot device!

Quoddy erat demonstrandum.

BTW, I know eastern Canada quite well, but it's all based on 1960s and 1970s visits.

A chief regret is never having visited western Canada.

Moose
2007-Jul-01, 10:58 AM
Aye, well, that's where the character's originally from. (And I do mean old; she's a time-traveller.) She's going to be running a halfway house for special needs kids; she'll want as few neighbours as possible. It should definitely be on the water, and she has a wide range of transportation options available to her for when she needs supplies.

Can you stand to be isolated (http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=44.53691,-63.544461&spn=0.001663,0.003074&t=h&z=18&om=1) but close (8 miles, approx) to Halifax? Two big houses and what looks like a trio of new houses (within 20 years? I don't remember them) across the street?

This place is called Bear Cove. Look fast, because you'll miss it if you so much as blink. You can see two curves on this road. Both are the bottoms of short steepish hills. Those are also effectively the boundaries of Bear Cove. The centered houses are big, the bigger of the two was dark brown last I saw it, and there's a dry gully from the SE corner of the property to the private beach. I've been there once in my life. I forget the circumstances.

Yep, that's sand. Follow the coastline north to see what a rock beach looks like from above.

If you care to use a boat, you'll need to moor it out in the cove and row to it using a skiff or a punt.

Younger kids living in Bear Cove would have (school) bus access to the William King Elementary School in Herring Cove. (Where I went, actually. I lived one community south of Bear Cove until I was seven: Portuguese Cove. The far end.)

Let me know if the kids are older, I'll double-check the names of the school(s) that teach at the junior and senior levels. I know who to ask.

You won't find Bear Cove on Google. The better known of the (at least) two Bear Coves is nearish Digby and Claire.

Noclevername
2007-Jul-01, 11:12 AM
You could always do what many other science fiction authors do, put the setting on another planet, call it "New Nova Scotia", and have the landscape look however you want. Just turn the telephones into holophones and call automobiles "groundcars", throw in some handwaving about teleportation or gateways or some such, and presto! Instant Earthlike setting, based on a real place but with whatever features you desire.

On second thought, this technique sucks. Don't do it, please, it's been done far too often already.

Gillianren
2007-Jul-01, 06:08 PM
Couldn't do it if I wanted to, Noclevername; my humans only do as much space travel as we do. Maybe more later, but that's it.

Your location sounds great, Moose, and if you ever do end up in BC, Mak, I'm not that far away. Not by North American standards, anyway.

crosscountry
2007-Jul-01, 09:58 PM
sounds like you need to do some on site research. That works best!

Gillianren
2007-Jul-02, 01:08 AM
sounds like you need to do some on site research. That works best!

Hey, I can barely afford a monthly bus pass. Getting to Nova Scotia's a little out of my range--and our local passes are awfully cheap.

hhEb09'1
2007-Jul-02, 01:48 AM
Aye, well, that's where the character's originally from. (And I do mean old; she's a time-traveller.) Time traveler, eh? I read an interesting book a few months ago, 1421- The Year the Chinese discovered America. Basically, author Paul Chiasson presents his evidence for the Chinese establishing a colony on Cape Breton, by way of the Horn of Africa, in the early fifteenth century. It doesn't have to be true to use it in your book :)

Jim
2007-Jul-02, 02:34 PM
... one of my characters is going to relocate to rural Nova Scotia for reasons that make sense in the books. ...

Is that a polite way of saying there is no sensible reason to relocate to NS outside of a work of fiction?
;)

(Sounds like an interesting premise, though.)

Click Ticker
2007-Jul-02, 03:15 PM
I spent three weeks in Shubenacadie quite a few years back. It's inland though. Dairy and pig farms. Nice stuff. We did do the tourist stuff though. Peggy's Cove is quite beautiful - but it's touristy.

Have them in a place near Oak Island and they could use their time travel to see what actually happened there to lead everyone to believe in the buried treasure. Just to satisfy my own curiosity.

Gillianren
2007-Jul-02, 06:53 PM
Is that a polite way of saying there is no sensible reason to relocate to NS outside of a work of fiction?
;)

(Sounds like an interesting premise, though.)

It's a polite way of saying, "it would take too long to explain exactly why Nova Scotia, and I don't want to spend a lot of time saying things like, 'but that's Newfoundland, and Newfoundland isn't Nova Scotia.'" There is a good reason.

There's also a premise in the book that time travel is a forward-only proposition. No changing the past.

Moose
2007-Jul-02, 08:37 PM
There's also a premise in the book that time travel is a forward-only proposition. No changing the past.

*grin* Oh heck, anybody can do that. ;)

Gillianren
2007-Jul-02, 09:11 PM
*grin* Oh heck, anybody can do that. ;)

450 years in one go that takes the character only about 5 minutes?

hhEb09'1
2007-Jul-02, 09:23 PM
450 years in one go that takes the character only about 5 minutes?All you have to do is go 99.99999999992% the speed of light :)

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Jul-02, 11:44 PM
If she's a time-traveler, maybe she could reverse the polarity of the tides in the Bay of Fundy.

Thanks Mak, if they do right they flood my town (on the otherside of the bay).
Also Gillian you may consider Peggys Cove heres a wiki link on it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peggys_Cove,_Nova_Scotia

crosscountry
2007-Jul-02, 11:49 PM
It's a polite way of saying, "it would take too long to explain exactly why Nova Scotia, and I don't want to spend a lot of time saying things like, 'but that's Newfoundland, and Newfoundland isn't Nova Scotia.'" There is a good reason.

you should describe what Nova Scotia means in your book. I only learned recently.

crosscountry
2007-Jul-02, 11:50 PM
of course it is really, really simple.

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Jul-03, 12:05 AM
oops didn't see Spock Jenkins suggesting Peggys Cove.

Lianachan
2007-Jul-03, 12:19 AM
Aye, well, that's where the character's originally from. (And I do mean old; she's a time-traveller.)

Do you have any particular period and area in mind? There's a good chance I'll know a lot about the latter during the former, if that's of any use. Or is it just Scotland and The Past?

Jens
2007-Jul-03, 03:26 AM
Time traveler, eh? I read an interesting book a few months ago, 1421- The Year the Chinese discovered America. Basically, author Paul Chiasson presents his evidence for the Chinese establishing a colony on Cape Breton, by way of the Horn of Africa, in the early fifteenth century. It doesn't have to be true to use it in your book :)

Wrong book. :-) I read 1421, which is by Gavin Menzies. The one you're thinking of is called The Island of the Seven Cities. Apparently they have the same premise, though. I guess you probably read both.

hhEb09'1
2007-Jul-03, 03:37 AM
Wrong book. :-) I read 1421, which is by Gavin Menzies. The one you're thinking of is called The Island of the Seven Cities. Apparently they have the same premise, though. I guess you probably read both.Oops, you're right! I meant that one. Chiasson was inspired by Menzies work, and thought his discoveries on Cape Breton supported Menzies' theory. I've never read the Menzies book, though.

Maksutov
2007-Jul-03, 06:18 AM
450 years in one go that takes the character only about 5 minutes?You been reading any Daphne du Maurier lately?

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/566/iconwink6tn.gif

Gillianren
2007-Jul-03, 06:23 AM
Do you have any particular period and area in mind? There's a good chance I'll know a lot about the latter during the former, if that's of any use. Or is it just Scotland and The Past?

It's the Borders, actually; her grandmother was getting as far from Henry VIII as she could while still being near England. The year my character leaves is well-defined, but I don't remember it and hurt too much to get up. 1553? 1558? Somewhere in there, anyway.

Moose
2007-Jul-03, 10:05 AM
oops didn't see Spock Jenkins suggesting Peggys Cove.

Peggy's Cove would be a tough choice. Yeah, it's touristy. And very regulated in terms of who can relocate there. According to rumor, no new housing, and you have to interview for your suitability to join the community. You also have to agree to put up with tourists wandering all over your yard and peeking in windows (which apparently they do. Frequently.)

Gillianren
2007-Jul-03, 06:42 PM
Well, that's right out, then. See, this is the kind of information maps just can't provide.

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Jul-03, 09:46 PM
Peggy's Cove would be a tough choice. Yeah, it's touristy. And very regulated in terms of who can relocate there. According to rumor, no new housing, and you have to interview for your suitability to join the community. You also have to agree to put up with tourists wandering all over your yard and peeking in windows (which apparently they do. Frequently.)
Well the problem is there a towns like Peggy's Cove that artificial keep everything in the past for tourists and most of the townes and villages that have keep fairly modern industries to keep people employed. The only towns that can look like they are in the past without tourist regulations would be bedroom communities of Halifax or Sydney.

Added note I work in St. Andrews NB were everytime somrthing that they think is going to ruin the tourist trade they try to ban right now it is LNG terminal on the Maine side of the Passamaquoddy Bay.

Gillianren
2007-Jul-04, 04:55 AM
What I want is not "looks old-fashioned"; what I want is "isolated." She knows what the modern world looks like, but she wants to be apart from it. Since she's from Scotland, "New Scotland" seems the obvious choice to everyone. She's in demand by some very nasty forces; not, mind, because of the time travel, which she did not herself control, but because of who she is.

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Jul-04, 05:21 AM
Maybe Bear River would be a little more in what you are looking for.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_River_%28Nova_Scotia%29

Gillianren
2007-Jul-04, 08:24 AM
It would certainly amuse me to put her alongside Highway 101. (The US Highway 101 is about two blocks away from me right now.)

Lianachan
2007-Jul-04, 12:03 PM
It's the Borders, actually; her grandmother was getting as far from Henry VIII as she could while still being near England. The year my character leaves is well-defined, but I don't remember it and hurt too much to get up. 1553? 1558? Somewhere in there, anyway.

Interesting period of history in Anglo-Scottish relations. Henry VIII saw three Scottish monarchs during his reign, and the relationship between the two crowns was a bit of a rollercoaster. When Henry declared war on France in 1513, Scottish King James IV saw an opportunity and unsuccessfully invaded England (getting himself killed in the process), for example. From the dating you've mentioned, I'm guessing your character problably fled during the latter stages of Henry's rule - which would probably be during the reign of Mary I ("Queen of Scots" - 1542 -> 1567). That's a fascinating, and complicated, period.

Gillianren
2007-Jul-04, 05:59 PM
I'll admit I know far more about the English history of that time than the Scottish, but what I know of the Scottish is another reason they didn't go farther in country. They picked a quiet little village next to a convent (which, of course, is despoiled not long after my character leaves, at least not by the standards of the time travel). My character grew up there until the time travel, which is one of several reasons isolation's so important. She cannot live in a city.

Lianachan
2007-Jul-05, 12:49 AM
I'll admit I know far more about the English history of that time than the Scottish, but what I know of the Scottish is another reason they didn't go farther in country. They picked a quiet little village next to a convent (which, of course, is despoiled not long after my character leaves, at least not by the standards of the time travel). My character grew up there until the time travel, which is one of several reasons isolation's so important. She cannot live in a city.

I'm not sure how historically accurate you're aiming for.... but I'm aware of around half a dozen convents that have existed in the Border region over the centuries - not all of those within the right time period for you, of course. If you like, I can dig out info and find suitable candidates if you want real, historical ones in the right place and at the right time. It's something that would probably only take me an hour or so. Off the top of my head, I'd say Greyfriars Convent in Stirling would be cool - it wasn't in the Borders, but it was destroyed in 1559! The site became a school, and then a hotel - a good hotel, that I've stayed in many times.

EDITED AFTERTHOUGHT: The medieval Border region is outwith my expertise both in location (too south!) and time (too recent!), but the history of the area has always been of some interest to me due to the role it played as a buffer between us lot up here and England.

Gillianren
2007-Jul-05, 06:26 PM
No, I'm keeping the convent fictional because then I can do with it as I will. I've even created a modern archaeological dig at the site. I'm keeping the location of the 1550s stuff intentionally vague; I can't do that as easily with the modern Nova Scotia stuff. I appreciate the offer, though.

Lianachan
2007-Jul-06, 12:07 AM
No, I'm keeping the convent fictional because then I can do with it as I will. I've even created a modern archaeological dig at the site. I'm keeping the location of the 1550s stuff intentionally vague; I can't do that as easily with the modern Nova Scotia stuff. I appreciate the offer, though.

Fair enough. Whether from chance or design, your Scottish events and timing have a plausible context (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Reformation) which shouldn't have too many Scottish historians choking on their whisky in furious disbelief.

Gillianren
2007-Jul-06, 07:34 AM
Oh, aye, I'm well familiar with the Scottish Reformation. True, I don't know Scotland as well as I know England, but you can't study Elizabeth in any great detail without learning about John Knox. (I am officially about the only American who got the joke in the title of Terry Pratchett's Monstrous Regiment.)