PDA

View Full Version : Universe

Apostasy
2007-Jul-02, 04:42 AM
I've never heard this idea mentioned before in discussions of the Big Bang, but is it possible that the Big Bang was actually the collapse of the previous universe, and that just like much of nature, the universe itself is in an infinitely-repeating cycle of expansion and contraction? My understanding is that the universe is expanding and will eventually begin to contract. Wouldn't this make sense? Has this ever been suggested in explaining the Big Bang and where it came from?

Michael Noonan
2007-Jul-02, 04:53 AM
The mainstream that is accepted science holds that the best fit theory so far is the big bang. The ATM (against the mainstream ) has many variations.

The idea is that if an update is needed some of these ideas might try to contend for the job of being the start of things.

A short list:-

Here is a few for fun:-
1 The big bang
2 Creation
3 steady state
4 Cyclical whole universe or parts
5 Binary captured charge separated cyclical
6 Singular crunch cyclical inversion to big bang
7 Aliens did it
8 Heat death
9 We have to kick start it
10 Individual galaxy formation
11 Space from another dimension
12 Formation of hydrogen from the gravity
13 Charge density to matter
14 Collapse of a string state like a speaker blowing out
15 Multiple universes at various of evolution
16 Multipotential universes waiting to exist

But until there is a strong contender for the title of being the accepted theory the current one the big bang holds sway for science.

foreignkid
2007-Jul-02, 04:56 AM
My understanding is that the universe is expanding and will eventually begin to contract.
We are not sure of this. There could be a potential balance between gravity, and the expanding force (dark energy, perhaps)?

is it possible that the Big Bang was actually the collapse of the previous universe, and that just like much of nature, the universe itself is in an infinitely-repeating cycle of expansion and contraction?
When did this Universe exist? It could not have been "before", since Time itself was created during the BB, so there was no "past" as we commonly think. Also, Time and Space are intertwined, so any theory about the past of the Universe can get seriously messed up by inconsistencies between the two.

Apostasy
2007-Jul-02, 12:46 PM
Well, I'm suggesting that this universe may be 13 Billion Years Old, but that there were universes before and that all traces of the previous universe would disappeared in a Big Bang. I'm not sure if we determine this universe's age by dating existing rocks or molecules, or atoms, or by looking at how far the universe has expanded, but all with measures like this, any trace of a previous universe would be gone.

antoniseb: Good point, this may be unknowable. I was just wondering if this idea had ever been suggested/considered among astronomers.

antoniseb
2007-Jul-02, 01:37 PM
all of these things would have been made new by the Big Bang.

There is no way to know whether what you are saying is true or not until we understand more about the universe we CAN study. If it turns out that your notion matches observation and improved theory, you should know that you are not the first to suggest this idea.

Sp1ke
2007-Jul-02, 02:22 PM
...but that there were universes before and that all traces of the previous universe would disappeared in a Big Bang.

At the risk of repeating foreignkid's earlier contribution, the big bang wasn't simply an explosion. Our best understanding is that before the big bang, there was no space and no time. So no "before" so anything outside of the big bang is unknowable.

Also even allowing for the "earlier" universes, if all traces of the previous universes disappear with the big bang, that makes it pretty unlikely that we can ever find evidence of them.

Himanshu Raj
2007-Jul-02, 02:49 PM
String theory gives you a completely different view point.

Our universe is contained in a three dimensional membrane which is floating in a higher dimensional space. There is absolutely nothing difficult to imagine that two branes collide with each other. As a result, energy is produced. Where does that energy goes. It goes into the big bang.this point of view one can see that the big bang was not a special event. The branes floating in the higher dimensional space have collided again and again creating parallel universes in the past and that it will continue to happen for an indefinate period of time in the future.

But still the basic question remains: What caused the existence of these membranes and the extra-dimensions?

I have no idea :shifty: .

loglo
2007-Jul-02, 03:02 PM
The currently favoured theory, the Lambda CDM, model does not include a contracting universe which is a holdover from the pre-Dark Matter/Dark Energy days. Now the question is why is it expanding quicker and quicker?

Profpat
2007-Jul-02, 04:16 PM
What you suggested Apostasy, is a Hindu belief in universal cycles. One of creation, process,destruction,repeatedly.
I think the philosphy or metaphysics part is logical. But I agree with the other members "who knows". Everything prior is moot.

Profpat

Twinsun
2007-Jul-03, 07:19 PM
heh :) if the universe is expanding, then we agree that it is finite and if it's finite, it must end ... now I'm VERY curious to see how it would be for a man ( if he could ), standing near the 'edge' of the universe, being unable to go any further cause some weird wall would block his path :) DEAD END huh ? :p the universe is infinite as far as I'm concerned

m1omg
2007-Jul-03, 07:42 PM
heh :) if the universe is expanding, then we agree that it is finite and if it's finite, it must end ... now I'm VERY curious to see how it would be for a man ( if he could ), standing near the 'edge' of the universe, being unable to go any further cause some weird wall would block his path :) DEAD END huh ? :p the universe is infinite as far as I'm concerned

No.
The universe is expanding from infinity to infinity for all things INSIDE IT.
It is like being on a paintel ballon and expanding that baloon, we are on the the "surface" of that baloon it is not infinite but also has no edge.

Twinsun
2007-Jul-03, 07:56 PM
well what do u mean ??? are we INSIDE something which is expanding or outside and a thing below us is expanding, thus pushing us away too ?