PDA

View Full Version : Mob Rule

Tog
2007-Jul-02, 03:18 PM
Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU8DDYz68kM) of lions and cape buffalo at a watering hole, but with a twist.

8.5 minutes. Pretty cool. I didn't expect this sort of behavior.

Video warning: Nature being nature
YouTube Warning: YouTube being youTube (comments are not work friendly)

Fazor
2007-Jul-02, 03:23 PM
I'm at work and can't really view the video (our data stream is about as fast as carrier pidgeons communicating via smoke signals).

Is this the one where the buffalo fight back? If so, I saw it on G4, and it was pretty interesting.

Tog
2007-Jul-02, 03:39 PM
Most likely the same one. The buffalo come back in force.

Moose
2007-Jul-02, 05:11 PM
That's slick. That's really slick. :D

hhEb09'1
2007-Jul-02, 06:20 PM
I especially like the comments at the end, hey, we can sell this

Nicolas
2007-Jul-02, 06:26 PM
I didn't spot the second croc mentioned, but anyway that was some wildlife action. They did bring back some friends :). Due to the nature of the "weapons" of both parties, the buffs only scared the lions off, so it wasn't massive violence and blood, just nature's definition of a bulldozer tactic (pun intended) :).

Did the croc first jump at a lion, and at the calf only during the second attack? I couldn't see it clearly. I don't know whether crocs are eager to catch a lion, though I don't think a lion could do a lot unless it gets to the eyes or something like that. edit: he did appear to go for the calf also the first time, but scared the lion he bumped into :).

Anyway strong lions, if they can hold the calf away from the croc's grip. It also appeared to be a bit too crowded on the "front" for the croc, I think he prefers the standard scenario where everyone runs away scared except for the one he caught on surprise, and not having these kitties pulling his meal.

The part where the lion gets thrown into the air -even though it didn't really hurt the lion- did seem to scare the other lions. The buffs were serious, that was clear :).

As some of you may know, my parents used to live in SA. Buffalo's are very dangerous animals. They're very strong, and they tend to be in a bad mood and eager to show who's the boss. If you're on safari and you encounter a lion, in most cases it's safe. They're lazy like your pet cat and don't like humans for food. Very rarely they will attack. Buffalo on the road? Verrrrry dangerous. It's his road because his feet stand on it in his territory, and you will learn unless he's having a really happy day or you're keeping loads of distance.

In a lesser degree the same goes for hippo's, but you tend to cross roads with hippo less often while in a jeep.

People (used to) go swimming "in the wild", with some on the lookout for crocs. I'd never trust that, not because of the people, but because you simply can't always see a croc before it's too late.

Moose
2007-Jul-02, 08:41 PM
Buffalo on the road? Verrrrry dangerous. It's his road because his feet stand on it in his territory, and you will learn unless he's having a really happy day or you're keeping loads of distance.

What? You mean you can't get him to roll over by calling him 'dopey' and throwing him the 'horns'? Man, another childhood myth shattered. :(

Nicolas
2007-Jul-02, 08:59 PM
Nono, it's true.

When you encounter a buffalo on the road during a jeep safari, you can make him to roll you over by calling him 'dopey' and throwing him the 'horns'.

Moose
2007-Jul-03, 10:09 AM
You know, if you look reeeeeeallly closely, you can see a lion do precisely that. Just before it gets thrown.