PDA

View Full Version : Historic 4-Month Arctic Mars Mission Reaches Midpoint; Crew to Switch to Mars Time

jamesabrown
2007-Jul-02, 07:09 PM
The Mars Society's four-month Mars exploration Arctic simulation mission, the first of its kind, reached its halfway point today, and will now begin a unique experiment by shifting its operational cycle to Mars time.

More here (http://www.marssociety.org/portal/Members/schnarff/fmars2007_midpoint/).

JonClarke
2007-Jul-02, 10:23 PM
Good to see. This is a really interesting expedition (but I am biased ;))

BigDon
2007-Jul-08, 10:58 AM
Nice link James. Howdy Dr. Clarke.

OneHotJupiter
2007-Jul-10, 02:06 PM
During a mock EVA are the researchers fully suited with simulated pressure and breathing the canned stuff as if they are on Mars?

I sure wish I could be a part of something like this.

Do they have mock-up habitats with fancy computers and daily checklists , this is so neat , are pictures available?

jamesabrown
2007-Jul-10, 03:27 PM
You can find out more about the programs here:

Mars Society Flashline Mars Arctic Research Station (FMARS (http://www.marssociety.org/arctic/index.asp))

They have daily crew blogs, field reports, pics and vids. This four-month mission is the longest so far. In the beginnings of the program they operated for rotating two-week shifts, which, in my opinion, would make for one heckuva vacation. Keep an eye on the Mars Society website for the next call for volunteers.

OneHotJupiter
2007-Jul-13, 02:17 PM
I have fallen in love with this program , All of the crew members are so accomplished and interesting!!

I would like to visit that habitat , though the conditions are not very Mars like with the lakes and all , I've also seen pics of the crew outside the habitat doing an EVA without the mock Spacesuits , I hope the next misson like this will force any EVA to be done with full dress rehearsal conditions , NO going outside with out enduring everything a future Mars explorer would have to face , including wearing that suit everytime you leave the safety of the habitat. Future mock missions should be even more realistic and exiting as this , If I had the $$$ I'd love to fund or participate in something as cool as this!

JonClarke
2007-Jul-17, 04:15 AM
During the initial set up period when some maintainence work was required there were out of sim EVAs. For most of the expedition however all EVAs are in full sim, with 2 caveats. Every EVA is accompanied by one armed person out of sim because of the polar bear risk, and of course in an emergency safety overrides simulation. The person on polar bear watch does not take part in the eva program to maintain fidelity.

Jon

JonClarke
2007-Jul-17, 10:26 AM
It's also worth noting that the crew is currently doing well on Mars time, with a day 40 minutes longer than normal. They are faciliated in this by the 24 hour daylight and by artifically creating night at the proper time by blacking out the windows. They so far have found no sleep disturbences but the slighly longer time between meals did take a little getting used to.

Jon