PDA

View Full Version : New forum for the book

The Bad Astronomer
2002-Feb-23, 03:49 AM
Hey Bad Readers- I received in the mail today one actual, physical, real book called "Bad Astronomy"! It was released from the warehouse at Wiley and Sons today, and will start shipping from amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471409766/ref=ase_badastronomy/103-4399787-8414204) in the next few days.

Woohoo!

So, this new forum is to talk about the book. Stuff you liked, stuff you didn't. Find any mistakes? Post 'em!

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Feb-23, 09:23 AM
Congratulations!

What do we have to really really do to get an autographed copy?

2002-Feb-23, 01:04 PM
I agree with GOW - We are your loyal followers! By the way, I just preordered my copy today Amazon!!

It was good to see ya on TechTV the other day Phil! Hope to see more of you out there promoting GOOD Astronomy.

MHS
2002-Feb-23, 03:52 PM
Congratulations!

People from Europe can order the book at Proxis.com. This really makes a difference in shipping costs guys!! BUT it won't be released before the 29th of march so...

(I can't wait!!)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MHS on 2002-02-23 10:55 ]</font>

MHS
2002-Feb-23, 03:57 PM
It says: 'Weight: 0 grammes'! So I'm paying 22 Euros for nothing?? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

odysseus0101
2002-Feb-23, 06:04 PM
On 2002-02-23 10:57, MHS wrote:
It says: 'Weight: 0 grammes'! So I'm paying 22 Euros for nothing?? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Perhaps the company has been reading the "Practical Applications of Relativity" thread on this board for shipping ideas.

Wiley
2002-Feb-23, 07:53 PM
On 2002-02-22 22:49, The Bad Astronomer wrote:
Hey Bad Readers- I received in the mail today one actual, physical, real book called "Bad Astronomy"! It was released from the warehouse at Wiley and Sons today, and will start shipping from amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471409766/ref=ase_badastronomy/103-4399787-8414204) in the next few days.

Actually, it were my sons. I had nothing to with it. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Congrats, BA.

Chuck
2002-Feb-23, 09:46 PM
You should have made the inside front cover out of light sensitive paper so we could hold our books up to our computer screens for you to sign.

MHS
2002-Feb-23, 09:59 PM
About the book being signed; I live in The Netherlands, but I've got family in San Francisco (Redwood City actually), so I might be able to arrange something, don't I BA? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

The Bad Astronomer
2002-Feb-23, 10:23 PM
Hey folks-- I would love to sign everyone's books, but I'm not sure how to do it easily. Shipping it to me to sign it, and then shipping it back is one way, but it's expensive, time consuming and somehow faintly silly. I am giving about a zillion talks in the next six months, so if you're patient I may be in your area... but again, the odds are low. If anyone has any ideas, lemme know!

johnwitts
2002-Feb-24, 12:25 AM
How about a piccy on your site that we can download, print and stick in the book? Only we 'bad' guys and gals would know where it is, and it's cheaper than postage. Or you could pay a personal visit to everyones house for a cup of tea...

Lisa
2002-Feb-24, 12:29 AM
On 2002-02-23 17:23, The Bad Astronomer wrote:
Hey folks-- I would love to sign everyone's books, but I'm not sure how to do it easily. Shipping it to me to sign it, and then shipping it back is one way, but it's expensive, time consuming and somehow faintly silly. I am giving about a zillion talks in the next six months, so if you're patient I may be in your area... but again, the odds are low. If anyone has any ideas, lemme know!

Okay, where are the talks? I went to the Calendar/Events...zip. I may live out in the middle of nowhere, but I still travel a lot.
Lisa

RMallon
2002-Feb-24, 03:44 PM
BA,...wonder how many school libraries are out there that need this book?
All of them!

I noticed the other authors at the Amazon site being bougtht by those who picked up yours, - pretty heady company!....

Martin Gardner
James Randi
Michael Shermer
Carl Sagan
Stephen Hawking

Best of luck with the book sales. Will be picking up a copy soon.
And too, any chance of a movie? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Randy

Peter B
2002-Feb-25, 04:33 AM
Any ideas whether/when the book is due in Australia?

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Feb-25, 10:08 AM
On 2002-02-24 10:44, RMallon wrote:
Best of luck with the book sales. Will be picking up a copy soon.
And too, any chance of a movie?
I'm thinking either Woody Allen or Mel Gibson.

The Bad Astronomer
2002-Feb-25, 04:03 PM
I have been told I look like both Anthony Edwards (http://www.geocities.com/merlin_topgun99/edwardsgallery.html) and Chris Elliott (http://ce.torak.net/cepictures.html). Yikes.

I will be updating my calendar page pretty soon. I have been on a scheduling tear, and have a whole bunch of stuff coming up between now and summer.

lpetrich
2002-Feb-25, 08:47 PM
As to getting an autographed copy, that is not a high priority with me. I once got an autograph from Dr. Isaac Asimov when I attended one of his lectures, but I felt so stupid afterwards that I have never asked for one again.

odysseus0101
2002-Feb-26, 02:08 AM

I was thinking a sort of Mystery Science Theater 3000 thing, in which BA and a few robot pals are forced to watch science fiction movies and comment on their inaccuracies.

Peter B
2002-Feb-26, 05:10 AM
Now THAT was a funny movie. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

James
2002-Feb-26, 02:15 PM
On 2002-02-25 21:08, odysseus0101 wrote:

I was thinking a sort of Mystery Science Theater 3000 thing, in which BA and a few robot pals are forced to watch science fiction movies and comment on their inaccuracies.

Very nice idea, but who would play the mad scientist(s?) who force them to watch? There are so many good candidates for that position.

WHarris
2002-Feb-27, 11:13 AM
I nominate Piper!

The Curtmudgeon
2002-Feb-27, 06:06 PM
OH NO!!!! You have named He Who Should Not Be Named! When the demon appears, you are going to be offered up as a sacrifice so that the rest of us can get away scot-free.

The (notice how H.P. Lovecraft always has weird piping sounds accompany the evil beings?) Curtmudgeon

JimAstro
2002-Mar-01, 01:35 PM
Will the book be released in book stores?

Jim A.

MHS
2002-Mar-01, 03:31 PM
Hi Phil. I reviewed your book on proxis.nl (dutch online bookstore) and they placed it, so if you want to read a (POSITIVE!!) dutch preview of your book, you can find it there /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif.

Russ
2002-Mar-01, 10:08 PM
On 2002-02-23 17:23, The Bad Astronomer wrote:
Hey folks-- I would love to sign everyone's books, but I'm not sure how to do it easily. If anyone has any ideas, lemme know!

How about getting a bunch of peal & stick stickers? We could email/snailmail our Name, what we'd like you say, "To: Slapdoodle, thanks for buying my book! Mr. Bad Astronomer" Then you slap 'em in an envelope with a 34 cent stamp and we stick 'em in our book. Cheap, easy, and nobody gets hurt.

I don't have my book yet. Is there a place for a sticker? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

MHS
2002-Mar-02, 11:23 AM
I pre-ordered THE book today! I'm so excited, but I'm pretty sure it'll take 'em another month /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Donnie B.
2002-Mar-02, 12:21 PM
Amazon shipped my copy yesterday (Friday 02/01/02). Yay!

Please, Mr. Postman, look and see,
Is there a book in your bag for me?
I've been waiting such a long time
Just to hear from that BA of mine...

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

odysseus0101
2002-Mar-03, 09:27 PM
Since I don't have my copy of the book yet, I am going to assume that this book doesn't actually exist, and that you are all involved in some sort of conspiracy to defraud the public into thinking it actually does exist. I'll be authoring a webpage and going on a lecturing tour to prove my point.

MHS
2002-Mar-04, 08:25 AM
I think I'm going to write a book about it.

It's going to be called:

'Bad Astronomy: Misconceptions and Misuses Revealed, from Astrology to the Moon Landing "Hoax" revealed' /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MHS on 2002-03-04 03:30 ]</font>

jewel
2002-Mar-04, 09:23 PM
WooHoo!!!!! I just got my copy!

I'm off to do some reading /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jewel on 2002-03-04 16:24 ]</font>

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Mar-05, 08:04 PM
<a name="post200203051504"><hr>
Got my copy this afternoon. I notice that I'm mentioned on page 263--at least, I'm included: "the pack of weirdos who frequent the Bad Astronomy Bulletin Board on my web site."

I do have one quibble with that. Weirdos do not travel in packs; they travel in heards.

<font size=-1>[Added name field]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GrapesOfWrath on 2002-03-24 03:49 ]</font>

The Bad Astronomer
2002-Mar-05, 10:00 PM
Not to be too self-serving here, but I encourage everyone here to go ahead and post a review on the Amazon site, positive or negative. It would be nice to see more reviews there. Thanks!

Donnie B.
2002-Mar-05, 10:25 PM
Well, I thought I'd wait until I finished reading it... you know, to give the appearance of impartiality...

Makes me wonder how many of those reviews are written by people who haven't even read the books.

Roy Batty
2002-Mar-05, 10:34 PM
I'll have to wait till i even get the book, though Amazon said they shipped it Monday /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

ljbrs
2002-Mar-07, 01:10 AM
Actually, you do not want to have Phil's book autographed, because I have read that autographs lower the value of the book (for some reasons which I do not fully understand). Also, if you were to get it autographed, you would need to have two copies: One to read, and a fresh copy to keep wrapped up and pristine pure (no reading, etc.) Read the other copy. Then, you will have one copy that in a number of years might bring a lot of money. However there is one problem to all of this. Books with highest value are not always the best books, but are scarce books (only a few having been published).

So, buy *Bad Astronomy* to read and enjoy and forget about autographed copies. Otherwise, poor Dr. Phil Plait would get writer's cramp and be sick for a month from the effort. His teaching would suffer. This site would suffer. Then again, perhaps a stamp could be made which has the look of authenticity and could be used on the sly in place of a real autograph.

Whatever. I am going to take my time in reading -- slowly does it! I have been looking through it carefully, first. In this way, my pleasure will be lasting.

ljbrs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

MHS
2002-Mar-07, 09:17 AM
I don't care about the book being more valuable! I just want to prove to anyone that I'm close friends with the author! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Thumper
2002-Mar-07, 04:02 PM
I've just read through every post in this section and you guys have me salivating at my computer. My copy should get to me by Monday or Tuesday. Can't wait to start reading it. BA is right, the more people that post reviews on Amazon (or other on line stores) the better. Unfortunately, I'm such a slow reader that maybe it's time to start cashing in some vacation so I can post my review before BA's TENTH book comes out.

-Anxiously Awaiting

Donnie B.
2002-Mar-07, 11:37 PM
I put up a review on Amazon, but it hasn't appeared yet. I hope it wasn't swallowed up by the great bit bucket in the sky!

ljbrs
2002-Mar-08, 12:42 AM
THE BOOK is a lot of fun. Now, if you have been reading about astronomy for a long, long time (such as all of your life), you might have come across most of the subjects discussed at some time or another. However Dr. Phil Plait has a wonderful way about his writing which makes each topic (so far as I have read) interesting in a new way. Also, I feel that newcomers to astronomy will not feel intimidated because of Phil Plait's carefully-casual manner (clarity in his wording) of presenting each subject. Phil, you are a first-class educator!

Of course, I have not yet finished reading it. It will take some time. I like to savor good books. Finishing a good book is often sad (unless you go back and read it all over again).

THE BOOK is carefully written so that nobody will get their science wrong.

Wonderful.

I will take my copy with me to physics lectures (which I attend at a nearby university) and will take my copy to my astronomy club meeting (to show my fellow amateur astronomers). I will tell them how to get a copy. I probably will need to buy another copy because when those folks get finished mauling my precious book (Phil's precious book, actually), it will be worn out! Next, I will take it with me to show the visitors at my astronomy club's open houses (Saturdays before and after the new moon, weather permitting). My club operates an observatory which belongs to a first-rate university in my state. However, our 24-inch McMath Cassegrain telescope will be having its 24-inch objective recoated and will be down for awhile. Then again, our members have many wonderful gigantic telescopes and it will be good viewing for them sooner or later. In my state, good viewing comes mostly *later*! One gets to appreciate the *later*!

ljbrs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif WHEE!!!

RMallon
2002-Mar-12, 11:16 PM
I don't know...maybe the BA should start making guest appearances on the Tonight Show!
Phil, do you have a manager? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

odysseus0101
2002-Mar-13, 12:06 AM
On 2002-03-12 18:16, RMallon wrote:
I don't know...maybe the BA should start making guest appearances on the Tonight Show!
Phil, do you have a manager? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

If the venerable BA went on the Daily Show with John Stewart I would explode.

Donnie B.
2002-Mar-13, 01:46 PM
On 2002-03-12 19:06, odysseus0101 wrote:
If the venerable BA went on the Daily Show with John Stewart I would explode.

Wow, now that would be a great fit! Phil, you've got to see about this... TDS has all kinds of guests, from the silly (models, rock and rap musicians, actors) to the serious (newscasters, government types). Stewart's handling of the 9/11 tragedy was astonishing, better than many "mainstream" news programs.

I can't recall TDS having any straight science guests, but they did have (gulp) John Edward on once. Stewart was fairly respectful to him, but the next day he made up for it by giving a "correction" that made it clear that he thought Edwards' whole schtick was ridiculous.

Perhaps they'd be open to the idea of putting on the BA as a way of balancing the books, karmically speaking... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

milli360
2004-Feb-26, 02:29 PM
&lt;a name="post200203051504">&lt;hr>
Got my copy this afternoon. I notice that I'm mentioned on page 263--at least, I'm included: "the pack of weirdos who frequent the Bad Astronomy Bulletin Board on my web site."
Update, from the BA's latest Newsletter #47. I believe we're now known as "denizens." I think that's an upgrade from "weirdos."

And since I have your attention more than usual due to the rare
nature of this newsletter lately, I'll ask that if you know someone
who likes astronomy, let 'em know about the newsletter. Better yet,
send them to the site, or even better than *that*, send them to the
Bad Astronomy Bulletin Board. The BABB has grown so much that I
literally had to move up two levels in my web hosting service to
accommodate it. It's a very lively board. Right now, Mars is a hot
topic, so if you have questions, that's a very good place to go.
It's especially helpful because there is a lot of silly nonsense
being tossed around the web and on radio about Mars, and the denizens
of the BABB have been able to figure out quite a bit of it.

Glom
2004-Feb-26, 07:49 PM
Denizens eh? That's cool.

Spacewriter
2004-Feb-26, 10:10 PM

Heh. I guess I'll have to see if I can get one here soon...

;)

Anyway, well done! Congrats on the publication!

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Spacewriter
2004-Feb-26, 10:12 PM
Darn, I should have had my publisher send a copy of my latest book to Jon Stewart. Then BA and I could armwrestle over who gets to go on the show first!

It's hard to get talk show hosts interested in astronomy books for some reason. And mine doesn't have a HIP title, like BAs... next time I'll know better.

JohnOwens
2004-Feb-26, 10:22 PM
Denizens eh? That's cool.
Denizens? As in "denizen of iniquity"? I've always wanted to be one of those! :lol: :D