PDA

View Full Version : Explosives Camp

farmerjumperdon
2007-Jul-03, 02:24 PM
Yippee, my kind of summer school:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/03/science/03boom.html?th&emc=th

My favorite line in the article is about the $450 fee covering food, lodging, and dynamite.

NEOWatcher
2007-Jul-03, 02:30 PM
My favorite line in the article is about the $450 fee covering food, lodging, and dynamite.
Of course you are not implying that otthers are not good, like:

“Watching stuff blow up is better than summer school.”

“We try to give them an absolute smorgasbord of explosives,”

After his lecture, he handed the students Dyno Nobel T-Shirts that said on the back, “I ♥ Explosives,” but suggested that they not wear them to the airport.

Fazor
2007-Jul-03, 02:30 PM
So, do they sit around the campfire at night singing "Boom-by-ah". That was cheesey, sorry couldn't resist.

Although at an "explosives camp" i'd imagine the bonfires are large, but short lived.

NEOWatcher
2007-Jul-03, 02:33 PM
So, do they sit around the campfire at night singing "Boom-by-ah". That was cheesey, sorry couldn't resist.
Or "Blow, blow, blow your boat".

farmerjumperdon
2007-Jul-03, 02:35 PM
Yes indeed, there were several good ones in there.

Related experience: Some friends of mine got their hands on the real stuff - the size firewroks used for large legal municipal-type displays. For the first one I just stood there about 20' away. Very cool concussion. After that I crouched down behind the golf cart with the other 4 guys.

sts60
2007-Jul-04, 03:29 AM
Two of us on a brush truck, along with a fire marshal, were covering a fireworks event. I don't think any of us had ever seen one from the vantage point of the pyrotechnic crew; we were of course much closer than usual, and something I hadn't previously appreciated was that the shells were launched slightly away from the crowd, back "towards" us.

When the first round was launched, the three of us simultaneously took three steps backward. Big steps.

Celestial Mechanic
2007-Jul-04, 04:39 AM
Or "Blow, blow, blow your boat".
Or maybe even "Michael Blow the Boat Ashore". (Hallelujah!) :)

JohnD
2007-Jul-04, 12:09 PM
If you want your name to be on the files of MI6 and the FBI, and to be under surveillance for the rest of your life, here's how.

Not funny. Have you read the news from London and Glasgow recently?
John

Damien Evans
2007-Jul-04, 12:55 PM
If you want your name to be on the files of MI6 and the FBI, and to be under surveillance for the rest of your life, here's how.

John

killjoy

Stuart van Onselen
2007-Jul-04, 02:20 PM
John

The Brits can be glad that the "terrorists"* involved did not attend this camp!

*Are you still a terrorist if you bungle it so badly that nobody experiences any terror? Thank the FSM for stupid extremists!

Ilya
2007-Jul-04, 10:49 PM

John

Quote from the article: "This program, which does, is set up to draw students to a program at the University of Missouri-Rolla engineering school that feeds industries like mining and demolition."

Are you saying all mining and demolition engineers in Britain and US are under survelliance?

Doctor Know
2007-Jul-05, 12:46 AM
I know the Colorado School of Mines has some rather rigorous admissions standards. They don't just let in people who like loud explosions. I'm sure anybody who just wanted to learn how to light fuses and set caps and nothing else would be weeded out pretty quickly.

Maksutov
2007-Jul-05, 12:32 PM
The answer, my friend, is blowing up the world.
The answer is blowing up the world. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/musik/a070.gif

JohnD
2007-Jul-05, 04:38 PM
Quote from the article: "This program, which does, is set up to draw students to a program at the University of Missouri-Rolla engineering school that feeds industries like mining and demolition."

Are you saying all mining and demolition engineers in Britain and US are under survelliance?

As Dr.Know implied, I expect that anyone with expert and professional knowledge of explosives can expect that their movements will be monitored. It would not be very intelligent if the intellegence services forgot to do that.

And Stuart, it is already very clear, from the suspects' histories (I know, I know, they are not convicted yet) and from the 'modus operandi' (a Fuel-air bomb, or thermobaric weapon. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermobaric_weapon) that they went to a much more deadly school of explosives, in Iraq. We were lucky that they were poor students, but as the IRA once said, "You have to be lucky all the time; we need only be lucky once".

John

Stuart van Onselen
2007-Jul-06, 10:04 AM
WHAT!?!?!? They made some school-boy's wet-dream of a pseudo-bomb, and now it's a "thermobaric weapon"?

No oxidiser, nails as shrapnel, gas-cylinders and petrol as fuel - These guys were clueless amateurs that couldn't even Google for <you know what>. Although they tried to use fuel that burns in air, they were light-years away from a "fuel-air bomb".

If these guys did attend a "bomb making training camp", then they didn't attend a single lecture!

See some of the coverage in The Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/29/more_fear_biscuits_please/) (including an analysis (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/02/terror_idiocy_outbreak/page2.html) by an ex-bomb disposal tech).

JohnD
2007-Jul-06, 01:37 PM
Stuart,
So superior, and not even on the receiving end of the bomb.

It is clear that a thermobaric explosion was the intention, even if the bombers were incompetent. The gas cylinders were opened, to fill the car with it (that gave them away in the Haymarket bomb - an alert ambulance crew, attending an unrelated casualty noticed the smell), and each had a small (note, small) explosive charge, as did the fuel containers, A second charge was wired to go off a short period later, to ignite the fuel and gas. What's that, except an attempt at a fuel/air bomb?
The attempt at Glasgow airport was no less inept, but using the same technique. Except that this time it was intended as a suicide bomb, presumably since they were so mortified that their first attempts had not worked. If you want it done properly, do it yourself.

The IRA too scored their 'own goals', or else we were lucky. Should the fact that these guys did not do it very well make me, or you, any less concerned?

Dragging the thread back on course.
Was the OP's intention a sort of April Fool wind-up for the 4th of July? When the USA lets off more minor, explosions than usual? Is there really a explosives course at this university? Just a thought.

John

NEOWatcher
2007-Jul-06, 03:20 PM
Dragging the thread back on course.
Was the OP's intention a sort of April Fool wind-up for the 4th of July? When the USA lets off more minor, explosions than usual? Is there really a explosives course at this university? Just a thought.
I would say it's extremely possible. Many universities (although more for community colleges) are offering industry related courses.
I keep hearing the phrase "corporate college", and it looks like the colleges are starting to take a vocational attitude to bring in more students.

Ilya
2007-Jul-06, 05:02 PM
Is there really a explosives course at this university?
Very likely. A degree in civil engineering without some knowledge of demolition is as flawed as a degree in computer engineering without some knowledge of packet switching.

The very fact that OP article is seen as funny (and I admit, I think it is funny) and hard to believe, I find rather worrisome. It is indicative of how far modern childhood got away from "real world" – partly because of parental concerns over real and imagined dangers, partly because of lawsuit threat, and partly because to most kids Internet is more fun than playing around with stuff that burns and things that move. About a year ago I read a rant written by some aerospace company’s HR director. She complained how little hands-on experience recently graduated engineers have:

Their resumes never show anything done before college. Nobody ever writes "built my own car" or "helped my dad to build a plane". Some never constructed ANYTHING before their professor told them to. What kind of aerospace engineers are these!?

If she thinks she has a problem, imagine you are an HR director for a construction company, and you need to fill a demolition slot. Good luck finding someone who has more than classroom knowledge of things going boom! (Except for ex-military people – and you’ll pay through the nose for them.)

NEOWatcher
2007-Jul-06, 05:37 PM
Good luck finding someone who has more than classroom knowledge of things going boom! (Except for ex-military people – and you’ll pay through the nose for them.)
Just look at how many fingers they have... the less fingers, the more out of classroom knowledge they have. :lol:
Now proper use is another story.:think:

Stuart van Onselen
2007-Jul-07, 10:17 AM
I'm going to respectfully concede to JohnD at this point, as all the replies I have to make would blatantly violate the "no politics" rule. Plus, it would continue a thread hijack.

The rest of you can stay On Topic and drool over the thought of spending an entire summer blowing things up. If ever there was a reason for me to wish I was an American and young again, explosives camp would surely be it! :)

BigDon
2007-Jul-08, 05:17 AM
Hey Stuart, don't you come from the Land of The Legal Car Flamethower? (Keeps you from getting carjacked in the shanty towns, don't you know) Or was that an internet hoax?

You don't need to go to bomb camp though, I know a guy who got a chemistry degree soully to make things go boom. Vietnam era sniper. Back in the olden days he looked and sounded just like the actor that plays Officer Junior in Reno 911, now he's 55, and I still wouldn't mess with him.

Stuart van Onselen
2007-Jul-08, 02:46 PM
Yup, BigDon, you remember well.

And that story is true, AFAIK, although that law may well have changed since then. My wife is a lawyer, so I'll ask her, but that's not in her speciality, so she may not know.

And it's not just in the shanty towns that it's needed, it's everywhere - Car hijackings are the national pass-time, it seems, and it happen anywhere there're cars to be stolen.

As to studying bomb-making on my own: Not gonna happen! The wife says she married all of me , and we'll need to review the marriage contract if any parts go missing! :lol:

She won't even let me drive a motorcycle, let alone have access to explosives! Can't say I blame her, either - I am a world-class klutz, and have had two serious motor accidents this year alone. :cry:

publiusr
2007-Aug-10, 09:36 PM
And I got sent to fat camp.

Thats okay--they say that a stick of butter actually has more energy than a stick of C4--or so 'they' say...