PDA

View Full Version : Google loses Gmail case

Argos
2007-Jul-05, 06:07 PM
Link (http://pressesc.com/01183582507_gmail)

A court in Germany today banned Google from using the name "Gmail" for its popular webmail service following a trademark suit filed by the founder of G-Mail.

Well, it seems that if they donīt buy the mark, it is going to be the end of gmail accounts?

Edit: the threads title was supposed to be "Google loses Gmail case"

2007-Jul-05, 06:37 PM
Well, it seems that if they don´t buy the mark, it is going to be the end of gmail accounts?

I don't see why. If they are not allowed to use a mark that someone else owns to label their product, they pick a new mark, hopefully one not in use by someone else.

A rose by any other name...

Argos
2007-Jul-05, 06:54 PM
If they are not allowed to use a mark that someone else owns to label their product they pick a new mark, hopefully one not in use by someone else

Well, Google may be able to do it, but it´s not true for all companies, especially the small ones, which may rely on a single powerful mark. Google can indeed build another one.

Oh, I forgot. That would be the end of Gmail accounts, since [ as Zebo-the-fat points out bellow] the name will change. I guess they´re able to make a mass conversion of the current name@gmail.com to name@whatever.com, to spare the user from a new registration process.

zebo-the-fat
2007-Jul-05, 06:57 PM
I got a gmail account in the UK when the service first started, my email was in the form name.name@gmail.com. When my son joined several months later the format had changed to name.name@googlemail.com.
This was for similar reasons to the German situation.

2007-Jul-05, 08:45 PM
Oh, I forgot. That would be the end of Gmail accounts[...].

Maybe -- in the geographic entity covered by the decision -- after final disposal of all appeals -- if having the domain was judged as infringing -- if they don't just buy it from the owner.

You know the results of one battle. Extrapolating that to conclusions about the war, is risky.

Argos
2007-Jul-05, 08:51 PM
Well, I used the Future Unreal Conditional form. :)

2007-Jul-05, 09:39 PM
Well, I used the Future Unreal Conditional form. :)

Were I to have had noticed that you would have had been able to use that as a defense, I would have had to have had said it differently. I would think.