PDA

View Full Version : SpaceDaily's Space Message Board.

Carl
2003-Jun-26, 12:53 PM
The Wall Street Journal is the daily paper of the business world. USA Today is the national paper that gives travelers the big news stories of the day. It only seems logical that the space community would have it's own paper.

Called SpaceDaily, this is a website that features all the news that is relevant to the space industry. Here you can find out about the latest launch activities, both military and civilian. You can find out what the long-range plans are for the exploration of space, as well as what benefits are being reaped while we are still sowing the seed of space enterprise. This is a web site that is international in its content, so be prepared for some very in-depth coverage. Sites like this are examples of where our information age is heading.

http://www.spacemessageboard.com

SpaceDaily is happy to announce a new Space Message Board. So join now and grab your favourite handle before somebody else does. The officially endorsed "Space Message Board" for SpaceDaily.com news is now open. All those with a genuine interest in planet Earth and outer space are welcome to join. Debate anything space related. Astronomy, cosmology, cosmogony and other deep space sciences. Amateur, high powered and model rocketry. Launch pad and mission news. International conflict, missile news, space weapons and military technology updates. Nano tech, robotics, the internet, energy, satellite contracts, shares and other industry topics. Earth observation, meteorology, viruses, early earth, atmosphere, tectonics, floods, nuclear power, drought, el nino, planetary geology and the environment as a whole. Asteroids and comets. Science fiction. Mars. Exobiology. And much much more....

Have an opinion on a space news item you have read at SpaceDaily? Come and air it at the Space Message Board. Any time you think to drop by just remember 'SpaceMessageBoard.com'. All we ask of visitors is that you respect fellow members (or atleast pretend to) and enjoy your discussions.

For Additional Information Contact:

Carl Williams
carl@spacemessageboard.com

DJ
2003-Jun-26, 01:35 PM
I like the PHP board design better.

Maybe the BA will let us use avatars now.

DJ

Carl
2003-Jun-26, 01:42 PM
I looked at PHP, infopop, VBulletin and others but went with ikonboard because its easy to upgrade later on. I could very easily move it to PHP or VBulletin in the future if the board proves a success. At the moment its a bit of an experiment.

Sever
2003-Jun-26, 08:52 PM
So this is pretty much a ad (spam?) for a board?

TriangleMan
2003-Jun-26, 09:15 PM

It does violate FAQ#10 if Carl didn't ask permission. He might have asked the BA ahead of time. We'll soon find out.

P.S.: Welcome to the Board Carl! :)

kilopi
2003-Jun-26, 09:22 PM
We have another web-board to point to when someone wants a new forum!

Carl
2003-Jun-26, 11:07 PM

Yes, I suppose spam describes it quite well, but it's endorsed spam. Phil Plait suggested the idea that I post a message under General Astronomy. I should have pointed that out in the first post. Sorry about that.

dgruss23
2003-Jun-26, 11:26 PM

BA has said before (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=97042#97042) that it is ok to advertise another board here.

Sever
2003-Jun-27, 12:47 AM
this clears it up.

Carl
2003-Jun-27, 05:38 AM
BA has said before (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=97042#97042) that it is ok to advertise another board here.

I wasn't aware of that. I was contacting Phil by email about something else and he thought a few people from here would likely want to join the new board. So he invited me to mention it here at general astronomy.

I have a number of threads up listing URL's for websites. If anyone knows of any interesting space places worthy of special mention please feel free to post them and after some scrutinisation I'll consider adding them to the lists. I don't want any lists to get unwieldingly long so I'll eventually delete replies within the threads and keep the lists down to the best (in my own opinion) reviewed. Sites can be posted up at SMB or emailed to me. Bad astronomy is already up in the 'Space Science' forum ofcourse.
:wink:

The Bad Astronomer
2003-Jun-28, 07:26 PM
It's okay. Since Carl's board is space-related, I have no problem with his advertising here, and I suggested he post that here. :wink:

Carl
2003-Jun-28, 10:19 PM
I like the PHP board design better.

DJ

I'm already having regrets about using Ikonboard as both my script and temporary server. Several times now I have started working on the forums and received error messages. Which server do you use here?

I was thinking about upgrading to VBulletin shortly. How does PHP compare BA?

BigJim
2003-Jun-29, 12:14 AM
I like your design. Keep it just the way it is. Every board needs its own personality. Now, if I can only think of a good name......

Carl
2003-Jun-29, 10:16 AM
I was thinking along the lines of "Space Message Board".

It's easy to remember.

I don't know about leaving it as is. The last couple of days the download time has been horrible. About a minute. The dedicated server at Ikonboard must be having problems and not for the first time I might add. I'm looking around for a more reliable one. It's a pain in the rear end but I'd better address it before anything else. I can't even work on it efficiently and visitors won't hang around. I was considering pair.com as they seem to be well recommended.

The general layout is ok for now but I plan to keep making small changes as the months roll by. Ikonboard offers the use of multiple skins so users can choose a background style. Not everyone likes a black background. A red martian sky or plain white background could be optional. Stuff like email accounts, chatroom, directories and so on eventually.

TriangleMan
2003-Jun-29, 05:46 PM
I was thinking along the lines of "Space Message Board".

It's easy to remember.

Except that it shortens to "SMB" so you might get the odd person there who was looking for a different kind of "SM" Board (if you know what I mean). :wink:

Carl
2003-Jun-29, 10:50 PM
I see what you mean. It's probably best I dont register SMB.com then. I checked whois to discover the server for BA and found out it is in fact pair.com and they are still my first choice. It would be interesting to hear some blunt critical verdicts on how well it performs from old timers here. Are you happy with the speed of BA's board and the frequency of any downtime? My choosing to be remotely hosted by MyIkonboards IBpro while I worked on the new board has cost me many hours of work on it. I don't want to make a similar mistake moving it to my own server. Which plan are you on? Is it webmaster or higher mr BA? I was emailed a response from their sales department today and the webmaster plan looks ok.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jun-29, 10:56 PM
Yeah, the speed of the BABB seems great. Not slow at all. No downtime. Looks like a good server to me.

Carl
2003-Jun-29, 11:09 PM
544 posts. I guess you are qualified to give a fair appraisal. Thanks. :D

TriangleMan
2003-Jun-29, 11:16 PM
544 posts. I guess you are qualified to give a fair appraisal. Thanks. :D

Especially since the Supreme Canuck has only been a member of the Board for a month! He definately wouldn't be posting so much if he had problems with the BABB server.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jun-29, 11:25 PM
Has it only been a month? :o Wow. Seems like longer... in a good way!

TriangleMan
2003-Jun-29, 11:29 PM
Yep only a month. At this rate you'll be the #1 poster by November. :o

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jun-29, 11:33 PM
Mwahaha! My takeover is nearing completion! :D

Carl
2003-Jun-30, 12:47 AM
557 posts in one month with no hassles to speak of. Ok. Thats the kind of answer I was hoping for. Pair.com it is then.

kilopi
2003-Jun-30, 02:32 AM
Well, there were those couple times that the board exceeded bandwidth, in the past month or so. The board was down for a while then. But that was not a real problem.

Carl
2003-Jun-30, 11:14 PM
Thats interesting. The reason why I was curious about the service plan too. If you are using a more expensive one than webmaster then I should probably do the same. SpaceDaily gets quite a bit of traffic. Around 500,000 unique visitors a month upwards. Thats why I'm taking my time to get everything in order. The only space site which gets more heavily trafficked is space.com to the best of my knowledge. That gets a heckuva lot but then they do own the best domain name.