PDA

View Full Version : Can Star Trek XI be anything more than a parody of the original?

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2007-Jul-06, 04:01 PM
Can Star Trek XI be anything more than a parody of the original? What is the point of making this movie? Money?

Noclevername
2007-Jul-06, 04:05 PM
Can Star Trek XI be anything more than a parody of the original? What is the point of making this movie? Money?

Money, and running out of original ideas.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2007-Jul-06, 04:07 PM
dang wish I could edit poll questions

Noclevername
2007-Jul-06, 04:10 PM
Heck, maybe they will shorten the name to "Star" by then.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2007-Jul-06, 04:16 PM
one can always hope

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2007-Jul-06, 04:17 PM
wonder if they'll redo "Wrath of Khan"?

Noclevername
2007-Jul-06, 04:48 PM

(Shudder)

Ilya
2007-Jul-06, 07:39 PM
"Star Trek XI: The Search for More Money!"

Noclevername
2007-Jul-06, 07:41 PM
There's always the off chance that it could "rejuvenate" the franchise by accident, i.e., by making people say, "Wow, this really sucks compared to the original. C'mon, let's go watch one of the good Star Treks."

Or not.

Pip
2007-Jul-06, 07:43 PM
There needs to be another poll option. I think as it stands Star Trek XI is a pretty bad idea, but I doubt it will be the final nail in the coffin.

Gillianren
2007-Jul-06, 07:49 PM
"Star Trek XI: The Search for More Money!"

Was it Star Trek XII that The Simpsons said would be subtitled "So Very Tired"?

Glom
2007-Jul-07, 08:39 PM
How about a total reboot? It worked for BSG. That series is great. Batman Begins was awesome too.

Disinfo Agent
2007-Jul-07, 08:42 PM
Wasn't Star Trek X already a parody... sorry, homage?
Maybe they'll parody the parody this time.

captain swoop
2007-Jul-07, 10:51 PM
This Franchise has ceased to Be. Bereft of Life, it rests in peace.

Swift
2007-Jul-08, 01:31 PM
There needs to be another poll option. I think as it stands Star Trek XI is a pretty bad idea, but I doubt it will be the final nail in the coffin.
How about if we use a large wooden spike and pound it into its still, bearly beating heart? :surprised

V-GER
2007-Jul-09, 10:17 AM
How about entertaining the possibility that it's actually good?

I see no reason for this gloom and doom people seem to be having over Trek these days. Enterprise was a far better show than people give it credit for, especially seasons 3 and 4(granted that 1st and 2nd were, well, unspectacular...).

Also, I've never realized what was so wrong with Nemesis.

If BSG could recover from the travesty that was Galactica 1980, then it shouldn't be such a stretch that Trek XI might just deliver.

Maksutov
2007-Jul-09, 10:19 AM
How about if we use a large wooden spike and pound it into its still, bearly beating heart? :surprisedSpare the franchise. Pound it into the mechanical "hearts" of RB & BB!

http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/figuren/k045.gif

"Bearly"? You've been watching too much Stephen Colbert!

Van Rijn
2007-Jul-09, 10:34 AM
Spare the franchise. Pound it into the mechanical "hearts" of RB & BB!

http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/figuren/k045.gif

I almost had the time right in '05 (http://www.bautforum.com/showpost.php?p=604130&postcount=6) about a new project:

Somewhere in Hollywood a couple of years from today, we see a press conference with Mr. Braga on a stage, speaking into a microphone.

As I made clear then, those two cannot be defeated conventionally. I think you suggested we put red shirts on them - that and silver bullets just might do. Or maybe a nuke.

weatherc
2007-Jul-09, 10:43 AM
Or maybe a nuke.I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Okay, so that's quoting the wrong franchise...

Noclevername
2007-Jul-09, 03:46 PM
Also, I've never realized what was so wrong with Nemesis.

I won't even go into the tired you're-just-like-me sophomore pseudo-philosophy, the lame writing, or the evil-just-to-be-eeeevil pointy collar villains, it had a car chase in it. A car chase. In Star Trek.

Pure, ham-fisted B&B.

:sick::hand:

WHarris
2007-Jul-09, 04:49 PM
Pure, ham-fisted B&B.

Except Brannon Braga had nothing whatsoever to do with Nemesis.

Noclevername
2007-Jul-09, 04:51 PM
Except Brannon Braga had nothing whatsoever to do with Nemesis.

It's hard to tell, they blur together sometimes.

Doodler
2007-Jul-09, 10:10 PM
I won't even go into the tired you're-just-like-me sophomore pseudo-philosophy, the lame writing, or the evil-just-to-be-eeeevil pointy collar villains, it had a car chase in it. A car chase. In Star Trek.

Pure, ham-fisted B&B.

:sick::hand:

Nah, worse than B&B, Nemesis was fan-fiction with a budget. So much more depraved of perspective.

Noclevername
2007-Jul-10, 12:38 AM

I'm picturing Tom Cruise in a beer gut and bad toupee jumping up and down on the captain's chair, yelling "I HATE KHAN! I REALLY DO! WE HATE EACH OTHER SO MUCH!"

novaderrik
2007-Jul-10, 12:53 AM
i thought that hte consensus was that Nemeisis was a remake of Wrath of Khan, with a little bit of "the Search for Spock" thrown in at the end.. which means that we have a "save the whales" movie coming out pretty soon, followed by a voyage to find a space ship for God.

Noclevername
2007-Jul-10, 12:55 AM
i thought that hte consensus was that Nemeisis was a remake of Wrath of Khan, with a little bit of "the Search for Spock" thrown in at the end.. .

I've never heard that comparison before. If it's a consensus, why wasn't I consulted? :D

Noclevername
2007-Jul-10, 12:57 AM
Nah, worse than B&B, Nemesis was fan-fiction with a budget. So much more depraved of perspective.

"Worse than B&B"... The very words send a chill down my spine.

Josh
2007-Jul-10, 04:28 AM
Poll edited.

Josh
2007-Jul-10, 04:30 AM
I voted for "Good Idea..." You see ... I live in hope.

novaderrik
2007-Jul-10, 05:25 AM
I've never heard that comparison before. If it's a consensus, why wasn't I consulted? :D

i recall reading that the whole idea of his clone coming after him was more or less told like the Wrath of Khan, and that the whole thing with Data sacrificing himself and then being "resurrected" in the new identical android after transferring some of his files into his newly discovered "brother" was a bit like the end of "Khan" and then into "The Search for Spock".
so, look out for the "save the whales" and "God needs a spaceship" movies, coming to a theater near you in the not-distant-enough future.

OneHotJupiter
2007-Jul-10, 02:24 PM
O ye of little faith.