PDA

View Full Version : tech support question - links to word docs

tofu
2007-Jul-06, 10:32 PM
I have a very large word document and on a web page, I need to reference it, so I need a link that says, "see page 230 of this document."

In Word 2003, I used to be able to go to the Insert menu and select Bookmark and create a bookmark at page 230, then save the word document. Then on the web page, I could link to it with a href="worddoc.doc#mybookmark" and it would open on the user's computer at page 230.

That doesn't seem to work anymore in Word 2007. Instead, the document opens in the fancy new print view and it's always at page 1. There are a lot of smart people around here. Anybody else solved this problem? I know this is a long shot but I thought I'd ask.

weatherc
2007-Jul-07, 01:12 PM
I would recommend saving any document that you plan on linking to on the web (that isn't an HTML or image file) as a PDF. If someone is using a different operating system, or doesn't have the fonts that you're using in you Word document loaded on their machine, then the formatting of the document can get screwed up. Saving as a PDF will preserve the formatting of the document, regardless of operating system or loaded fonts. If you use Adobe Acrobat, you can bookmark as many pages as you wish, or set a document to open at a specific page.

tofu
2007-Jul-07, 06:51 PM
ok, thanks.