PDA

View Full Version : Beagle 2 reposessed by NASA!

EDG
2007-Jul-09, 04:17 AM
Not sure if this counts as "Bad Astronomy", but in the new Transformers movie the ill-fated ESA mars mission "Beagle 2" is claimed to have been a NASA/JPL mission, and to add insult to injury also miraculously sprouted a mars rover component.

parallaxicality
2007-Jul-09, 06:09 AM
Was this in the teaser, or in the movie itself? The teaser got some pretty heavy BA debating in the Transformers movie thread.

EDG
2007-Jul-09, 06:57 AM
It was in the teaser, which they also decided to place in the movie itself for no apparent reason and for no real purpose (well duh, of course the robots are alien, we don't need to see them stomping on Mars to know that!).

Disinfo Agent
2007-Jul-09, 10:01 PM
There's a website (http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/movies/transformers.html) attached to this message board.

Zachary
2007-Jul-10, 04:56 PM
oi! >.<, hands off our crashed probe! :(

BigDon
2007-Jul-10, 10:12 PM

Ha! Finders keepers, homey! :hand:

Van Rijn
2007-Jul-11, 12:29 AM

Hey, I didn't do it!

Seriously, you have to wonder how they manage to make a mistake like this. Doesn't it occur to them to check who built it? Or to think that this might annoy some folks and cost them sales?

EDG
2007-Jul-11, 01:50 AM
Doesn't it occur to them to check who built it?

Evidently not. The sad reality is that few people would notice it, so they don't care enough to double check it.

George
2007-Jul-20, 10:14 PM
I noticed it, too. It did seem superfluous, but it was brief. It is unlikely, but it may have been done tongue-in-cheek. Some movies using Morse code will often use some ham operator who takes some liberties since it is all in code anyway. :)

thothicabob
2007-Jul-21, 05:57 AM
Two words: Artistic License

Two more: Insensitive Ignorance
(there's one for you linguistic analysts to chew on). :)

crosscountry
2007-Jul-21, 10:17 AM
that was just one of the many plot lines that had no place in the movie.

what did the Australian girl or her friend have to do with anything? Why crack the code if they aren't going to use it? Furthermore why even go through all that boringness of the code?

Damburger
2007-Jul-30, 04:20 PM
This isn't a mistake. This is a "Americans won't believe the Europeans are sending probes to other planets" decision. I'm actually fairly angry about it. This is U-571 all over again.

thothicabob
2007-Jul-30, 04:26 PM
This isn't a mistake. This is a "Americans won't believe the Europeans are sending probes to other planets" decision. I'm actually fairly angry about it. This is U-571 all over again.

Oh puh-leez. It's a dumb move by ignorant hollywood types who likely didn't bother to do much in the way of research and probably wouldn't know the difference between a solar flare and a hemmorhoid, but would be pretty sure there's a cream for it.

Don't take everything hollywood does so seriously.

Damburger
2007-Jul-30, 04:32 PM
Oh puh-leez. It's a dumb move by ignorant hollywood types who likely didn't bother to do much in the way of research and probably wouldn't know the difference between a solar flare and a hemmorhoid, but would be pretty sure there's a cream for it.

Don't take everything hollywood does so seriously.

If they hadn't done any research at all, they wouldn't have got names like Beagle 2 and JPL in their head. This sort of rewriting of history happens far too often for it to be attributed to simple mistakes.

thothicabob
2007-Jul-30, 04:53 PM
It's a small thing from a small movie. There are much more important things to get worked up about in this world, man. Grab a pint and chill. :)

Gillianren
2007-Jul-30, 05:39 PM
To be fair, JPL is local to LA, and it doesn't take a heck of a lot of research to know about somewhere that appears on the local news now and again.

Peter Wilson
2007-Jul-31, 12:03 AM
It's like the Swift Goat Veterinarians for Truth. No mistake there.

:shifty:

NGCHunter
2007-Aug-17, 08:55 PM
If they hadn't done any research at all, they wouldn't have got names like Beagle 2 and JPL in their head. This sort of rewriting of history happens far too often for it to be attributed to simple mistakes.

Regardless of whether or not it was a mistake it peeves me off too. Either way they were saddling NASA with another failed Mars probe that they don't deserve the (dis)credit for. It wouldn't surprise me if it were intentional though, they even went to the trouble of making it look like a MER rover. I wonder how many people who saw that movie now think that NASA really was responsible for the real life Beagle 2 failure? The mistake in the teaser trailer of Beagle 2 depicted as a MER rover driving around a blue-skied Mars made me laugh, and I was kinda hoping they'd fix it for the movie or just cut the scene (yeah, unrealistic expectation, I know). Not only did they not fix or cut it, they made the blunder so large that the whole rover mistake seems like a nit-pick by comparison.

Damburger
2007-Aug-17, 11:27 PM
Regardless of whether or not it was a mistake it peeves me off too. Either way they were saddling NASA with another failed Mars probe that they don't deserve the (dis)credit for. It wouldn't surprise me if it were intentional though, they even went to the trouble of making it look like a MER rover. I wonder how many people who saw that movie now think that NASA really was responsible for the real life Beagle 2 failure? The mistake in the teaser trailer of Beagle 2 depicted as a MER rover driving around a blue-skied Mars made me laugh, and I was kinda hoping they'd fix it for the movie or just cut the scene (yeah, unrealistic expectation, I know). Not only did they not fix or cut it, they made the blunder so large that the whole rover mistake seems like a nit-pick by comparison.

Bear in mind Beagle 2 failed, Mars Express succeeded. So I'm annoyed about NASA taking credit for getting something to Mars (difficult in itself), rather than NASA being saddled with a 'failed' mission. I know most Americans just think this is funny, but honestly if the roles were reversed you would be pretty mad.

publiusr
2007-Aug-24, 06:29 PM
I wonder how those repo men hook up their wreckers to spacecraft, anyway...

NGCHunter
2007-Aug-27, 08:52 PM
Bear in mind Beagle 2 failed, Mars Express succeeded. So I'm annoyed about NASA taking credit for getting something to Mars (difficult in itself), rather than NASA being saddled with a 'failed' mission. I know most Americans just think this is funny, but honestly if the roles were reversed you would be pretty mad.

Don't worry, I'm sure anyone uninformed enough to believe the movie when it calls Beagle 2 a NASA/JPL mission will have no idea what Mars Express is or its connection to Beagle 2, since it wasn't mentioned at all in the movie. That latter point should probably upset you though. In fact the whole matter is a bit of snub to the ESA because it fosters the perception that NASA is the only one that can even try to send probes to Mars, regardless of their success or failure. It's kind of a surprising snub coming from Hollywood since Hollywood itself usually tries to encourage the US to be more like Europe.

Damburger
2007-Aug-27, 08:58 PM
Don't worry, I'm sure anyone uninformed enough to believe the movie when it calls Beagle 2 a NASA/JPL mission will have no idea what Mars Express is or its connection to Beagle 2, since it wasn't mentioned at all in the movie. That latter point should probably upset you though. In fact the whole matter is a bit of snub to the ESA because it fosters the perception that NASA is the only one that can even try to send probes to Mars, regardless of their success or failure.

I seem to have been misunderstood: thats exactly the point I'm annoyed about: Its a snub to the ESA in particular and Europe in general by saying that the US has a monopoly on spaceflight.

It's kind of a surprising snub coming from Hollywood since Hollywood itself usually tries to encourage the US to be more like Europe.

I don't think you can say that about Holywood at all. Holywood wants American bums on seats, and that means they want Americans to feel like America is the source of all that is good in the world, because people like hearing that sort of thing about themselves.

Neverfly
2007-Aug-28, 03:45 AM
I don't think you can say that about Holywood at all. Holywood wants American bums on seats, and that means they want Americans to feel like America is the source of all that is good in the world, because people like hearing that sort of thing about themselves.

"America" is two continents and many countries...

Or... did you mean the UNITED STATES?:think:

Damburger
2007-Aug-28, 07:10 AM
"America" is two continents and many countries...

Or... did you mean the UNITED STATES?:think:

Yes, but sadly there isn't an adjective for that which isn't horribly clunky (usian anyone?). I'm aware this issue can be a bit sensitive to those in Latin America especially, but thats not what this thread is aout.

Disinfo Agent
2007-Aug-28, 09:03 PM
It's kind of a surprising snub coming from Hollywood since Hollywood itself usually tries to encourage the US to be more like Europe.For Hollywood, Europe is a place where rich people occasionally go on vacation (when their spouses dump them), and that's that.

WA6ATI
2007-Aug-30, 05:41 AM
So when are they going to come up with the conspiracy stories about Beagle 2? Donít even hear much of it on Coast to Coast.

Dennis

Arneb
2007-Sep-07, 10:08 PM
So when are they going to come up with the conspiracy stories about Beagle 2? Donít even hear much of it on Coast to Coast.

Dennis

Welcome to the board, WA!

Easy: People would turn off the radio as soon as Noory started to talk about European spacecraft. "Now he's completely gone off in to the wild blue yonder...".

KaiYeves
2007-Oct-01, 01:26 AM
I saw that trailer and I thought
"So why didn't they get the MERs?"
Followed by
"The sky on Mars is so not blue."
"They were on Mars in '03. Big whoop. Where have they been all this time? We could fly that distance in nine months!"
And
<Shiver> "A movie for seven year olds that has the words 'they told us...' about Mars? Is this RCH's version of Joe Camel?"

Tuckerfan
2007-Oct-01, 01:11 PM
Actually, IIRC, they did say, "We convinced the Europeans to keep it quiet." implying, of course, that the probe wasn't NASA's. Also, I think that they just grabbed NASA's CGI film clip and composited their own stuff in it, without bothering to create their own.

Peter Wilson, I am so stealing "Swift Goat Veterinarians for Truth." :clap:

Irishman
2007-Oct-11, 06:26 PM
I noticed both that they called it Beagle 2 but it was a rover, and that they attributed it to NASA/JPL. I found it irritating and agree it was a slight against ESA.

However, I don't think it was an intentional slight. I'd be open to evidence (such as an interview with the director), but I'm not convinced it is anything more than movie producer ignorance. I think they conflated the MERs which are NASA/JPL and in common parlance with the failed Beagle 2 mission that got popular attention and decided if they didn't know better, most movie goers wouldn't either.

KaiYeves said:
"They were on Mars in '03. Big whoop. Where have they been all this time? We could fly that distance in nine months!"

Obviously they had to poke around the Martian ruins and destroy the Face. ;-)

KaiYeves
2007-Oct-19, 10:10 PM
Obviously they had to poke around the Martian ruins and destroy the Face. ;-)
CT/ RCH works for Megatron! I HAVE PROOF! /CT