PDA

View Full Version : Astronomy on an alien world

m1omg
2007-Jul-10, 10:57 AM
Question;
Would be spieces from a chlorine world (with a dense about 2 bar atmospheres of N2 60%, O2 27%, Cl2 5%, CO2 3%, Ar 2%, He 1%, with chlorine haze, temperature of 30-50 deg. Celsius) or a To'uhl like cooker world (70 bar CO2/O2 atmosphere with temperature of 120-150 deg. Celsius, permanent cloud cover) able to watch stars etc.?
I am not sure about chlorine world aliens but I guess that To'uhl worlds aliens will discover space only after they will achieve spaceflight.

astromark
2007-Jul-10, 11:16 AM
No.

You mention cloud cover. If you can get above or use infrared to see through then yes.

Does a dolphin recognize the moon for what it is? Do we ask them? and if we did. Do we understand them sufficiently to recognize the answer if we heard it.?
What does an alien see? Are there any?

When the home world rotates to place us in the shadow from our suns light do we see stars? Yes. Could this happen any where else. My head is quickly filling with questions I do not have answers for.

m1omg
2007-Jul-10, 12:12 PM
No.

You mention cloud cover. If you can get above or use infrared to see through then yes.

Does a dolphin recognize the moon for what it is? Do we ask them? and if we did. Do we understand them sufficiently to recognize the answer if we heard it.?
What does an alien see? Are there any?

When the home world rotates to place us in the shadow from our suns light do we see stars? Yes. Could this happen any where else. My head is quickly filling with questions I do not have answers for.

Well..IR vision...the faint IR from stars...
1.Atmosphere of both worlds will probabky block the IR from stars and bacause the atmosphere of both worlds is re;latively hot, you will see only an uniform red glare with IR on To'uhl, not sure about chlorine planet trough.
2.You must cool the telescope to -270 deg. Celsius to have any reasonable IR image of astro object.
3.I said that if they do not have space rockets yet...

Well...in OA the bright moonlight of moon Solo was visible from Chorus (chlorine world).

eburacum45
2007-Jul-10, 04:13 PM
The To'ul'hs have very basic eyesight, so they couldn't have seen the stars even if the sky was clear.
Astronomy for species which rely on sonar must be carried out using artificial sensors, which must then convert the data to a format those creatures can undertand; however the To'ul'hs were stuck in a medieval phase so did not have access to such instruments.

Have you considered asking these questions on the OA Yahoo group?

eburacum45
2007-Jul-10, 09:24 PM
Ooops; I have just remembered that the To'ul'hs come from quite a different planet in the OA scenario. The aliens from the chlorine world are the Jade Chime Singers (I should remember them; I drew the picture).

Singers have quite good eyesight and a reasonable tech level; they would have been able to see the stars, although somewhat obscured by the thick atmosphere.