PDA

View Full Version : The. Geekiest. Pun. Ever.

Ilya
2007-Jul-13, 02:14 AM
Alastair Reynolds' short story "Galactic North", in the collection by the same name, page 322. An ex-pirate is dying on a relativistic starship:

"Keep my body aboard until we are almost touching light, and then fire me ahead of the ship."
"Is that really what you want?"
"It's an old pirate tradition. Burial at C."

Josh
2007-Jul-13, 02:56 AM
Brilliant!

Noclevername
2007-Jul-13, 03:47 AM
"Avast, me space-hearties! Load yon bucaneer's body into the cannon and make ready to fire."

...And later the planet that he hit would be known as the Burial Belt, though no one could remember how the name originated...

Maksutov
2007-Jul-13, 03:54 AM
The funny thing is he died as Bluebeard, but was buried as Redbeard.

Tobin Dax
2007-Jul-13, 06:41 AM
The funny thing is he died as Bluebeard, but was buried as Redbeard.
Mak just took the title.

Paracelsus
2007-Jul-13, 09:43 AM
Gar!

Swift
2007-Jul-13, 12:50 PM
<<<<Groan>>>>
Keel haul him across the port warp nacelle for that.

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Jul-14, 11:45 PM
well c ya latter.

Donnie B.
2007-Jul-16, 06:18 PM
I've always liked Asimov's "A niche in time saves Stein", but this one's good too.

Noclevername
2007-Jul-16, 06:23 PM
Talk about a mass grave.

Glom
2007-Jul-16, 08:06 PM
Oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Demigrog
2007-Jul-16, 08:53 PM
I guess humor is all relative...

Yalius
2007-Jul-16, 09:25 PM
I've always liked Asimov's "A niche in time saves Stein", but this one's good too.

Asimov had a lot of good ones. My favorite was the last line of "Shah Guido G".

Casus_belli
2007-Jul-16, 10:11 PM
Arthur C Clarkes "Star mangled spanner".

I think he just had to

Alasdhair
2007-Jul-16, 10:13 PM
Asimov and Clarke had a contest going.

I think Clarke's star-mangled spanner just shaded it...

MG1962A
2007-Jul-17, 08:47 AM
My fave is from the "Forever War" The main character talks about the gun debate raging among a spieces from Ursa Major

There concern was about the "Right arm bears"

Weird Dave
2007-Jul-17, 08:39 PM
Also, can David Bowie fans please note that Alistair Reynolds' books feature both Diamond Dogs and Spiders from Mars.

Dr Nigel
2007-Jul-18, 07:25 PM

But it only works if you pronounce "niche" as "nitch". Whereas, if you use the French (and hence British English and hence arguably correct) pronunciation (more along the lines of "neesh"), it doesn't work at all. I only complain because it took me about 5 minutes to get the pun.

Dave Mitsky
2007-Jul-19, 01:41 AM
Relativistic pirates need to get their c legs!

Noclevername
2007-Jul-19, 01:45 AM
Captain Skyhook would never need to be embalmed, time dilation would keep him fresh forever.

DyerWolf
2007-Jul-23, 06:20 PM
Captain Skyhook would never need to be embalmed, time dilation would keep him fresh forever.

From whose vantage?

Noclevername
2007-Jul-23, 06:30 PM
From whose vantage? Well, I don't know of anyone who'd want to go on a ride-along with a dead pirate, do you? (Don't answer that. If you do know some like that, I don't want to know.)

vonmazur
2007-Jul-23, 06:36 PM
I think Phillip Jose Farmer has let some loose also.....

The song that French Washerwomen sing.....upon request answer will be posted

The song that German Washerwomen sing....Ditto..

There are many others that he has inflicted on us...."Jungle rot kid on the Nod" is full of this sort of erudite bad pun disease....

Dale

DyerWolf
2007-Jul-23, 07:31 PM
Well, I don't know of anyone who'd want to go on a ride-along with a dead pirate, do you? (Don't answer that. If you do know some like that, I don't want to know.)

Deaaad. Men. Tell. Noo. Taaales.

Ilya
2007-Jul-27, 08:52 PM
I am currently reading "Blindsight" by Peter Watts -- thanks to Amazon's recommendation that people who liked Alastair Reynolds tend to like "Blindsight" as well. Like Reynolds, it is a post-human fiction, although you get much more (than in Reynolds) sense of what it feels like to have extra senses, and auxiliary processing in your skull, and being in network/noosphere every second of your life. But I digress.

One of the characters is a multiple-personality woman. All four of her personae are fully functional, and capable of talking to each other internally and of running the physical body -- one at a time, obviously. They refer to their time-share body as "Mom". Took me a while to figure out the joke.

Four operating systems running on the same motherboard.