PDA

View Full Version : Good Astronomy ruins plot

glen chapman
2003-Jun-28, 01:29 PM
All the talk here about this and that being wrong in film and T.V reminded me of an incident a numbe of years ago.

A bunch of us hired Truman - halfway through, there is a scene were he is standing on a beach - On the horizion is a full Moon.

I scoff and say. "Look the Moon's wrong."

The only person in the room who'd seen the film responds "You idiot you just spoiled the plot for everyone." Sadly he was right.

redrefractor
2003-Jun-28, 01:53 PM
Glen, I don't see how that could've ruined the film. Seeing the moon CORRECTLY portrayed on the screen (or a postcard, or album cover) is the rarity, not the exception! The person who called you an idiot is the one who spilled the beans.

glen chapman
2003-Jun-28, 02:13 PM
I agree with what you say, but.....

Their point was - I drew attention to the Moon at just the wrong time. Thus as the film unfolded, people began to guess exactly what was in there

ToSeek
2003-Jun-28, 02:17 PM
Two thoughts:

1. Blame the director for getting the astronomy wrong, not yourself for noticing the fact.

2. How many people watch this movie without knowing the basic premise ahead of time? I think I did.

Glom
2003-Jun-28, 02:42 PM
It's going to annoy everyone there if you start yelling everytime you see some BA. Shut up and let everyone else enjoy it.

Mr. X
2003-Jun-28, 03:08 PM
Just like it is annoying if you just shout "BBBBOOOOOOOOOO!" every time you see Admiral Janeway in a Star Trek movie.

No wait... that wouldn't be annoying... that would be right.

I'd have to say I'd applaud! :lol:

rst
2003-Jun-28, 05:09 PM
It's going to annoy everyone there if you start yelling everytime you see some BA. Shut up and let everyone else enjoy it.

Ladies and Gentlemen

It is my sad duty to inform you that Glom has gone missing, and has been replaced by someone, or something else.
Your Honour, I present the quote above as exhibit 1.
The Glom we all know would NEVER let this be the case. In fact, the Glom we know would inform us the the story around the BA if we didn't know what he was talking about, just to explain the BA. I would give more examples, but i can;t remember any off hand, but trust me, Glom would never let BA slip past. Especially if he could wind up general members of the public (who have more trouble counting than i do, and are generally ignorant to science).

So, i conclude that given the above statement, Glom is either dead, possesed, or has been brainwashed.

Assuming Glom does not reply, we ought to set up a message board to mourn his departure from areas near computers

Glom
2003-Jun-28, 05:16 PM
When have I ever done that?

Okay there was that time... and that... and I made a comment there... that one I made after the movie so it doesn't count.

So apart from those twenty-eight times, when have I ever done that?

kilopi
2003-Jun-28, 05:37 PM
Two thoughts:

1. Blame the director for getting the astronomy wrong, not yourself for noticing the fact.
I haven't seen the movie, but I'd gathered from this thread that the "wrong moon" was a part of the plot--I mean, a scripted thing. The director didn't get it wrong. Or am I off base?

Humphrey
2003-Jun-28, 06:28 PM
Spoilers.....

The plot is that he lives entirely inside a fake, giant studio. Where everything is controlled from the appearance of the sky to the weather. So at night they have a fake moon in the sky.

nebularain
2003-Jun-28, 07:15 PM
When have I ever done that?

Oh, no! That means Glom's turned traiter! :o

The plot is . . . .

But this is how the movie was advertised. How would it be a spoiler then?

Humphrey
2003-Jun-28, 07:36 PM
True, but you never know. I am trying to make up for X-men 2. :-)

ToSeek
2003-Jun-29, 02:18 AM

If you're a serious nitpicker, you could be yelling during Apollo 13, which would be truly unfortunate.

David Hall
2003-Jun-29, 04:57 PM
Ooohh, you're talking about The Truman Show. And here I was thinking it was that movie about the 33rd President of the USA. Silly me.
:)

TriangleMan
2003-Jun-29, 06:23 PM
The only person in the room who'd seen the film responds "You idiot you just spoiled the plot for everyone." Sadly he was right.

Consider this an Official Rule For Watching Movies (tm):

Six months after a movie is released people are allowed to freely discuss details of the film with others even if people who have never seen the movie are involved.

All of buddies in university swore to this rule and it had served us well. Anyone who acuses you of 'ruining' a popular movie that has been out for many years is being foolish.

Rich
2003-Jul-03, 01:12 AM
How could this ruin the movie? I thought the whole thing was an open secret to the audience. It was Truman who was in the dark. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I thought you were let in on the little secret right at the start of the movie. I mean for cripes sakes every commercial ever made for that movie told you exactly what was going on. So how could you have ruined anything?

rst
2003-Jul-03, 06:08 PM
rich's right. the plot of the film was made explicitly obvious from the beginning. but more importantly, even if you picked up on it, the most you can extrapolate from your comment in that scene was that the director screwed up. there's no way you could give away the plot from just that comment

tracer
2003-Jul-03, 06:56 PM
Well, don't leave us in the dark, glen chapman!

HOW was the full moon on the horizon wrong? Was it upside-down, or reversed? Were the Maria in the wrong places? Dang it, don't just leave us hanging, here!