PDA

View Full Version : Anyone read Japanese?

Tog
2007-Jul-13, 05:49 AM
A guy I work with has a Japanese flag that his father ended up with in World War 2. It has some hand written characters on it and he was wondering what they might say. I know there is at least one member here that lives in Japan, but there may be more, or others that could read it, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Feel free to PM if it says something that can't really be said publicly.

2007-Jul-13, 06:07 AM
This will make it easier:

Jens
2007-Jul-13, 06:33 AM
I'd have to ask for some help reading them, but basically, they are war slogans with the signatures of the people who wrote them, probably soldiers in the squadron.

The one all the way on the right is pretty easy to read. It says "gambare," which means "take care" or "break a leg" in theater words, and is signed by someone named (I think) Terada.

I'm just guessing, but it seems like a flag that you would give to a person going on a dangerous mission or something like that.

Vermonter
2007-Jul-13, 01:44 PM
I'll ask my Japanese professor at college, she may be able to shed some light.

Glom
2007-Jul-14, 11:41 PM
Too much Kanji for my taste. I did become quite good at reading Katakana when I went to Tokyo Disney. That's because all the rides kept their American names and so they were written in that particular script.